Game won't start (same problem with other games)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
TheGuardianQueen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Game won't start (same problem with other games)

Post by TheGuardianQueen »

I've been having this problem for months, hopefully someone here can fix it. Most games on my computer crash upon startup. I've placed a crash report for Factorio below, if anyone can help me.
factorio-current.log
(7.75 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Game won't start (same problem with other games)

Post by posila »

Hello, can you try to opt-into 0.17.x experimental build? It uses newer DirectX (it crashed around DirectX code for you) and has more detailed logs around this kind of crash.

To opt-into 0.17.x, open Factorio properties in Steam Library, navigate to Beta tab and selecte "0.17.x - Latest 0.17 Experimental" from the drop down menu. Video instructions if needed: https://youtu.be/sruKeZXXVTk?t=53
  • Bad/Outdated graphics drivers - you have Intel HD Graphics 520 and some nVidia GPU in your laptop, you need to keep drivers for both of them up-to-date
  • Buggy gaming overlay - I can see there was Discord overlay hooked into the game process

TheGuardianQueen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Game won't start (same problem with other games)

Post by TheGuardianQueen »

This happens with almost every other game on my laptop and I've uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers many times. turning off discord overlay did nothing.

Return to “Technical Help”