[Twinsen] [0.17.68] multiple simultaneous achievements notification sound is too loud

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
troonie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Twinsen] [0.17.68] multiple simultaneous achievements notification sound is too loud

Post by troonie »

Whenever i start factorio and load my save file, it appears that it was not aware of any achievements got so far (I play with mods - that might be a reason). What also happens is that it triggers a lot of the achievements at once (e.g. N circuits per hour, train path planned, ~8 total at this point in game at once), and every one of them triggers achievement notification sound. Those sounds get overlapped, and their volumes sum up, and it gets x8 times louder.

It would be great if the volume was limited somehow.

It might not be limited to only achievement notification sound - any other event that can happen in multiple, simultaneously, at once, and trigger a sound, can cause that. E.g. a bunch of biters roaring at the same time before an attack wave - but that one is not that bad, because the character is usually not close enough. I assume, a number of Programmable Speakers triggered simultaneously can cause it too.

I suppose that getting all achievements at the save load is also an issue, but imo it's a different one; i would create another report on that, but i suppose it's known, and i don't worry enough about it to check.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5.2 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.68] multiple simultaneous achievements notification sound is too loud

Post by eradicator »

+1
Oh yes. Recently started an old version to test something which killed my achievement data (and there was not achievements-backup.dat). I was "greeted" with a quite unplesantly loud literal explosion of achievements upon loading my first savegame.

@OP: Your achievements not being properly saved is definetly a bug btw, thought not nessecarily one caused by factorio. Might be steam sync/windows/faulty harddisk. Do you stop the game with [Exit] or do you always press alt+f4?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Solinya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Solinya »

Honestly, I wish there was a cap on sound effects or mitigation for stacked sound volume in general.

If you've ever played a multiplayer game and been placing a belt line while a lag spike occurs, you'll end up placing a bunch of belt all at the same time, which makes all the belt-placing sounds overlap into a loud cacophony. Also applies to other items. It's doubly annoying because in multiplayer I'm more likely to be wearing a headset for voice comms and so the stacked sound bursts can be painful.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Twinsen] [0.17.68] multiple simultaneous achievements notification sound is too loud

Post by Twinsen »

Fixed in Version: 0.17.69.
Thanks.

troonie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by troonie »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:51 am
+1
Oh yes. Recently started an old version to test something which killed my achievement data (and there was not achievements-backup.dat). I was "greeted" with a quite unplesantly loud literal explosion of achievements upon loading my first savegame.

@OP: Your achievements not being properly saved is definetly a bug btw, thought not nessecarily one caused by factorio. Might be steam sync/windows/faulty harddisk. Do you stop the game with [Exit] or do you always press alt+f4?
alt+f4, all the time. i use steam, and i also set specific beta update stream (0.17.68 as opposed to 0.17.x)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

troonie wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:29 pm
alt+f4, all the time.
That's probably the cause then. Factorio only flushes certain pending data changes to disk when you press [Exit] in the main menu. I frequently use alt+f4 to prevent this storing of data when i did experiments with the in-game settings, but what you say suggests that it also happens to achievements.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”