[Oxyd] [0.17.59] insane large save file (>500MB) part 2

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
ASemenov
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Oxyd] [0.17.59] insane large save file (>500MB) part 2

Post by ASemenov »

The save file size has increased several times after 0.17.59.
0.17.61 fix didn't help. Size changes throughout the day for no apparent reason from 500MB to 900MB. The base is located on a large island. No mods

Save file: https://yadi.sk/d/COFkBiCg3bs3gQ

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.59] insane large save file (>500MB) part 2

Post by Rseding91 »

The root cause is the fact you're on a huge island and the biters can't path to the base. You might as well just turn peaceful mode on since they can't get to you anyway.

As to why the file size is so large Oxyd will have to look into it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

dgw
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dgw »

I saw this issue in a modded multiplayer game today. We have a water-fill mod, so through the collection of autosave files I've preserved, Oxyd could see the issue progress from before the island existed, as the save file size continued to increase, through to when we resolved the save size problem by eliminating biters from the island. (Personal Laser Defense + uranium rounds ftw!)

While we didn't reach the insane size level of the thread title (maxed out at ~200 MB when I saved a local copy of the map between the penultimate and final autosaves in my collection), it might be helpful for you in investigating the cause.

Saves collected via WeTransfer (sorry, my Dropbox is 99% full >.>): https://we.tl/t-CBbz9EfhlP

The files belong in numerical order. Autosave 8 comes before 9, which comes before 10, etc.

ASemenov
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ASemenov »

1.2GB now. But how can i turn peaceful mode on? Сould not find this option

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

ASemenov wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:04 am
But how can i turn peaceful mode on?
On a new map in the map generator, on your existing one:
/c game.player.surface.peaceful_mode = true
/c game.forces["enemy"].kill_all_units()

SeeDee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Oxyd] [0.17.59] insane large save file (>500MB) part 2

Post by SeeDee »

I had the same issue, though not on that scale. My save game went up from ~30MB to ~130MB. Curiously today it has it has almost dropped down to its previous size again.

We did explore the map a little bit, so I would have expected the file size to further increase.

What we also did was to clear some bases and removed unused parts of the factory, as well as deleted quite a few update planer commands that were out of reach for our bot. Can any of this be related to the file size change on that scale? :roll:

EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EpicSlayer7666 »

so does that mean that the AI entities keep a FULL history of path finding and way points without deleting them when unable to reach the destination over time?

like instead of limiting it self to 5 way points and work in between, it adds more and more until it reaches thousands or millions? maybe adding a "Destination Unreachable" flag to stop this might help. then you periodically retry each minutes while trying to not bust the way point limits.

maybe it if could charter by adding a virtual impassible zone (imagine a transparent blue selection over an area but only the AI see it) like a rectangular wall it avoids and try to go around it until it circles the whole place! (adding more until it makes a square with 4 zones) the prerequisite is water and cliffs that cannot be destroyed. next would be indestructible entities... if it tries to damage it and it takes an estimated 1 hour of damage or more,(24?) then considered indestructible...

tho the problem is the full archiving of the pathways of enemies... it may help in consistency in between saves but having a unlimited maximum is the root of the problem.

maybe having Biters have it's own "Max Way Points" for the "Enemies Force" AND "Max Way Points" per "Biters" (units). then tackle Logistic bots... tho they go mostly unhindered, they might be retrying stuff out of range without having a flag that states they do not need to retry until range has been re-evaluated.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Thanks, should be fixed in 0.17.70.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”