Nauvis Post Collapse 1.0 (Pre-Alpha)

This is the place to share custom user maps, scenarios, and campaigns.
malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Nauvis Post Collapse (16GB ram minimum required)

Post by malventano »

Szankstein wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:40 pm
totally agree with @malventano

And remove indestructible war robots (unfriendly Compilatrons) that are destroying everything on their path, and remove the hidden Infinity chest :D wonder how many hidden "troll features" are still there. I'm not complaining I love this map it's like how Factorio should be played instead of barren empty fresh map and I'm enjoying watching other people playing it!
I've done some map editing as well as flying all over the map on my own playthrough and haven't run into these. Were they present on an earlier revision of the map?
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

billbo99 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:36 am
Some other code snippets ..
All worked as expected. Thanks for the assist!
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

BuGabriel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BuGabriel »

malventano wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:41 am
Szankstein wrote:

And remove indestructible war robots (unfriendly Compilatrons) that are destroying everything on their path, and remove the hidden Infinity chest :D wonder how many hidden "troll features" are still there. I'm not complaining I love this map it's like how Factorio should be played instead of barren empty fresh map and I'm enjoying watching other people playing it!
I've done some map editing as well as flying all over the map on my own playthrough and haven't run into these. Were they present on an earlier revision of the map?
Speaking of Compilatrons .... just got killed by one. Was like: no way is that hostile ... DEAD
Is there a console comand to kill it? Or can it be killed normally?
Compilatron.jpg
Compilatron.jpg (786.99 KiB) Viewed 10693 times

badtouchatr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by badtouchatr »

BuGabriel wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:09 pm
malventano wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:41 am
Szankstein wrote:

Speaking of Compilatrons .... just got killed by one. Was like: no way is that hostile ... DEAD
Is there a console comand to kill it? Or can it be killed normally?
Compilatron.jpg
Yes, you can use this command:

Code: Select all

/c local surface=game.player.surface for key, entity in pairs(surface.find_entities_filtered{name="compilatron"}) do entity.destroy() end

BuGabriel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BuGabriel »

Thanks it worked. Hope there isn't an Easter egg involving a Compilatron :))

Explored a little more and found a motherload of artillery shells and some invulnerable spawners which I really don't get why they are there

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:37 am
Yes, see posts above.

----

Congratulations on your life project !

AFAIK, it's more the starting of a new company that is taking a toll on personal life (much less I guess if it's a family company ?).
Most engineers are able to have a family, especially these days in the West !

I would disagree about college : it's where I learned about burnout, and also where I was taught to do projects and work in a team. (YMMV)

I'm not sure why you are looking down on 20th century engineers : they accomplished amazing things. We'll be lucky if we manage to do better than them !
Oh don't worry I really don't look down on other engineers who pioneered before me! We wouldnt be where we are without them!

DavyJones3
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DavyJones3 »

I'm unable to load the scenario for some reason, everytime I try it just loads a random map. I'm on 0.17.69.

randy00714
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by randy00714 »

Great Scenario!!! Played allready >130h. Cleaned up the iland and the maincity. Now i am establish Istangirs Train-Network, leave the tracks mostly untouched. Its funny to see what routes the trains take. But as a single player its best to remove the compilatrons and the undistructeble biternests, also grab the infinite chest. Thats a great help.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

DavyJones3 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:29 pm
I'm unable to load the scenario for some reason, everytime I try it just loads a random map. I'm on 0.17.69.
Is it one you have to copy/paste into the scenario folder and load in scenarios?
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Shabi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Shabi »

Is it possible to play this map in multiplayer? We tried, but it's so big that I suspect we are stuck in "catching up" land forever. I do have mods loaded, but relatively low key ones (ie not resource/ore mods).

Has anyone successfully played this in MP?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Shabi wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:48 pm
Is it possible to play this map in multiplayer? We tried, but it's so big that I suspect we are stuck in "catching up" land forever. I do have mods loaded, but relatively low key ones (ie not resource/ore mods).

Has anyone successfully played this in MP?
You can pause the game to make it catch up quicker.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

mcc1903
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mcc1903 »

I really loved the details of this map and the size really fascinated me.

However regular FPS drops and failing to start it as a scenario bugs me a bit.

I put the files at scenarios folder but it is listed as "Freeplay" for some reason.

Thanks again for the detailed work.

mcc1903
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mcc1903 »

Disabling clouds, item shadows, animated water and trees solved my fps problems. Not sure which one i turned all of them off at once as i don't care much about them.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Just wanted to add:

First of all, amazing work. So much detail and atmosphere! (Small exploration spoiler:
Darn, you can't pick up the rocket silos for yourself!
)

Secondly, the map runs perfectly on my machine. Takes a LONG time to load and save which is perfectly understandable, but it runs at a solid 60 fps/ups. I run latest experimental and I don't know if it's due to recent optimizations, but my PC definitely isn't particularly powerful. Does the lag only kick in much later or something?

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

MEOWMI wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:51 am
Just wanted to add:

First of all, amazing work. So much detail and atmosphere! (Small exploration spoiler:
Darn, you can't pick up the rocket silos for yourself!
)

Secondly, the map runs perfectly on my machine. Takes a LONG time to load and save which is perfectly understandable, but it runs at a solid 60 fps/ups. I run latest experimental and I don't know if it's due to recent optimizations, but my PC definitely isn't particularly powerful. Does the lag only kick in much later or something?
It lags a bit if you zoom out the map view (even without the map 'discovered'), but that's not the fault of the map itself really.
Allyn Malventano
---

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

So today I tried to see if the scenario loads in 0.18 and it doesnt. I posted a thread about this issue and will see if I can get some help with this. I might update the map and add additional features and areas to ot as well as reworking some of the rail network.

If I don't do this what I will do instead is play the map myself.with certain mods and I will add more things to it the conventionnal way then upload the damaged and abandonned save in order to actually leave some useful infrastructure behind. Doing so would also make the map even more enjoyable to those who might want to see why I built the map in such a way as I could also release a version where most infrastructure is functionnal. With the amount of people who were confused about certain design aspects uploading this in the future might clear some things up :)

I will be uploading the mods used for the map and make sure to document it so that its easy for those who are playing this for the first time to set it up. The only big downside with this is that ram usage will be even bigger but hopefully the new optimizations will allow me to finally create the really long train track branches to other areas. My goal would to make 4 main lines (not including the one heading ***** to the spaceport) and then connecting those 4 lines with 1 auxiliary one that circles the map around 30min away from the center of the map if you were to travel there by train.

The 4 lines will hopefully be between 45m to 1h30m in length with many key stops. I will try to also create some nice biome changes and transitions. As always UPS and FPS is the main concern as well as ram usage so I will make those train line generate only the necessary chunks to not use too much memory. The train line being this long will also be fully signaled to avoid being a pain in the ass to setup. Hopefully I wont have to deal with too many issues but my main concern is really going to be memory used for all these new chunks...

So if all goes well this map might become even cooler and I hope this will make some people happy :)

badtouchatr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by badtouchatr »

I was able to load it up on mine. i'm currently on 0.18.22 and it loaded up successfully starting a brand new game with no mods, and also loaded up my 267-hour save from 0.17.65. I didn't do much, but run around a little and look at the map, but it did load up and run under those two situations.

i don't think this makes a difference, but i'm running on macOS 10.14.13. I've actually been looking forward to continuing my save (or starting a brand new one) when I build my linux box this week, as my mac only has 2GB of ram in it :( So i'm hoping to get better performance on the linux box with 16GB of ram.

although, it would be interesting to see what you do with the new train lines and such. in either case, i've enjoyed playing this scenario and killing all the bad juju biters!

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

Yeah the map loads in 18.X

Started working on the map again and I will make it a lot better by playing on it while working on it. This way I will be able to make factories and facilities that make sense and the train network will be fully functionnal. The story is going to be set around 50 to 70 cycles (years) in the future after the initial map. At that point and time Nauvis is being colonized again but you will be playing as a lone engineer (if you play alone) rebuilding most of the necessary infrastructure for the colonists.

I will probably be adding more abandonned towns on the existing portions around the ocean as that area was very rushed but since it is so large I have plenty of room to work with that wont involve more RAM usage. The areas outside the existing map will be similar to the train track heading south to the once abandonned spaceport only this time these train lines will use a lot of normal terrain generation and old abandonned facilities along their path. In those new biomes there will be some towns that will be only connected by road but the way I will trim chunks will limit how much more ram is going to be needed for this map to run properly.

Since most people have only 16GB of ram I will try to limit the map to that new standard but its going to be tricky achieving this with all the cool stuff I could do if I limit it to 20GB. I know it seems a lot of RAM but 16GB will probably already start to become a thing of the past in the next few years with 32GB becoming more and more common.

biff_ccp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by biff_ccp »

Hello. This looks like a great mod. I thank you for it.

After several failed attempts I now have this scenario running, but I've had 2 different kinds of starts.

1) The load scenario option said "Post Collapse (freeplay)" and AFAIK I had the same basic inventory as a vanilla start. (Unfortunately I deleted that save and can't confirm my start inventory.)

2) Now the load scenario option said "Post Collapse" and my start inventory is EMPTY!

Judging from Nilaus' video of this mod, I'm guessing my current install is incorrect. Can anyone confirm this?

P.S. I'm playing Factorio version 17.79 and my Factorio folder DID NOT have a "scenario" sub-folder. I created it myself, unzipped the mod into the subfolder, and then moved all but the "blueprint.zip" into the main Factorio folder. Did I error somewhere?

PPS. If this is as interesting as Nilaus' first few videos make it seem, I'll buy more bloody RAM! I suspect it might be worth it!

TaylorItaly
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TaylorItaly »

I want to thank you for that amazing scenario .
I have a lot of fun ; FPS about 30.
I am playing with Krastorio 2 , so it is a bit difficult to drive all the cars and trains, but thats ok.

Return to “Maps and Scenarios”