[MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Topics and discussion about specific mods

PTTG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (WIP)

Post by PTTG »

Now I just need to figure out how to convince my boss I'm too sick to work.

NickKsh
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (WIP)

Post by NickKsh »

PTTG wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:38 pm
Now I just need to figure out how to convince my boss I'm too sick to work.
Easy! Just break your leg ;)

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (0.9.9)

Post by Deadlock989 »

Absolutely astonishing write-up and description from Bilka here: https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-311

Many thanks to the playtesters for talking some sense into me occasionally and making the mod much better. Also thanks to the Factorio team and other people with source access for adding various bits and pieces to the API, which helped in a big way to make the mod look and behave as well as it does.

If anyone has feedback on balancing or general stuff in the mod, send it and I promise I will mentally engage with it at least once. I probably won't reply to every post, but it will be read.

If it's feedback on balance, please ideally attach some numbers to it. "I don't like pistons" or "It's too easy" or "Your face is stupid" are not useful forms of feedback. "I think steel pistons should have 2 gears instead of 4 because you don't unlock such and such until ..." is more like it.

I will try and avoid making any base-altering changes during 0.9.9 but no promises. When Factorio 0.17 goes stable, and I don't think there are any lasting issues with the mod, it'll go to 1.0.0 and balance changes will be extremely rare after that.

I plan on doing some expansions later in the year.
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Sander_Bouwhuis »

Wow, what a fantastic looking mod! I came here after the recommendation in the weekly FFF.

I like the idea of mixing it up after a bunch of Bob+Angel runs.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Yo Deadlock, any idea what I should be looking for that's interacting with IR to cause a circular tech tree around the logistics tech? I already disabled Dragon Industries, which was the thing I immediately thought of as changing the tech tree in any major way.

Scherazade
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Scherazade »

It does not seem to work with AAI.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Adamo wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:33 pm
Yo Deadlock, any idea what I should be looking for that's interacting with IR to cause a circular tech tree around the logistics tech? I already disabled Dragon Industries, which was the thing I immediately thought of as changing the tech tree in any major way.
No idea without seeing a mod list and then probably no idea after that as well. Essentially, if it's not on the Supported Mods list, then I know nothing about it.

If you mean Logistics 1, the tech that unlocks vanilla yellow undergrounds and splitters, then it's most likely some mod trying to add something to that tech which has iron components or has changed some recipe to using iron components. Anything which inserts iron components via unlock anywhere before the tech called deadlock-iron-age will create a circular dependency.

I wasn't joking about compatibility being difficult.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Deadlock989 wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:46 pm
Anything which inserts iron components via unlock anywhere before the tech called deadlock-iron-age will create a circular dependency.
This is good to know.

I'm looking around -- I think in that case it was vanilla loaders HD. I'll bug you with a mod list if it ever becomes useful, but for now I'm fucking with it. Gold processing also caused a circular tech tree. Knowing more about what you're doing internally would be good, but I know you're probably busy.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:57 pm
I'm looking around -- I think in that case it was vanilla loaders HD. I'll bug you with a mod list if it ever becomes useful, but for now I'm fucking with it. Gold processing also caused a circular tech tree. Knowing more about what you're doing internally would be good, but I know you're probably busy.
Officially, if it's not on the Supported Mods list, then I expect other mods not to work, unless they are control scripts only or don't add any new recipes or change any existing ones at all.

If someone wants to try and make their mod work with IR because it currently doesn't, I would recommend the following:

- IR completely destroys and then rebuilds literally the entire tech tree during its data.lua phase. I'm not kidding. It wrecks that shit. You have no idea.

- It also changes 99% of vanilla recipes, again all during its data.lua phase.

- You can avoid being swept up in that by requiring IR as a dependency and letting it do its implacable thing first. At that point all of your code can't assume that recipes, technologies, items, entities, animations, sprites, controls, events, and projectiles have any of the properties defined in the base mod. Anything you do may end up making no sense in an IR game because black is now officially white and beans are now peas. Test everything. If you set an icon, set its size, don't assume it's still vanilla size. If you expect an entity to have a particular sprite sheet attached, you will be wrong, load it yourself instead of assuming the data.raw snippet you just tablecopied is going to have one fixed value forever. Etc. etc.

- Alternatively, give your mod a name which is alphabetically later than "IndustrialRevolution".

- Last resort, moving all of your stuff to data-updates or data-final-fixes. IR still does a few things in the later stages but nowhere near as drastic as earlier.

These are the exact same choices I was presented with when I was trying to make mods like DSB, which tried to work with as many other mods as possible, and always, always failed in the end. That's modding.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Looks like Space Exploration has some issues.

Code: Select all

30.234 Mods to disable:Fehler beim Laden der Mods: __IndustrialRevolution__/data.lua:29: ...alRevolution__/code/technology/technology-regenerate.lua:28: Tech contains non-existent recipe unlock: se-rocket-fuel-from-water, se-rocket-fuel-from-water-copper
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	...alRevolution__/code/technology/technology-regenerate.lua:28: in main chunk
	[C]: in function 'require'
	__IndustrialRevolution__/data.lua:29: in main chunk
stack traceback:
	__IndustrialRevolution__/data.lua:29: in main chunk
Bullet trails too:

30.539 Mods to disable:Fehler beim Laden der Mods: __bullet-trails__/data-updates.lua:14: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	__bullet-trails__/data-updates.lua:14: in function 'add_trail_to_ammo'
	__bullet-trails__/data-updates.lua:23: in main chunk
Last edited by steinio on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

steinio wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:16 pm
Looks like Space Exploration has some issues.
Space Exploration is not currently supported. Future support is planned.

Bullet Trails is not supported and have no plans to support it, IR provides its own "trails" by using physical projectiles.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:12 pm
- IR completely destroys and then rebuilds literally the entire tech tree during its data.lua phase. I'm not kidding. It wrecks that shit. You have no idea.
I actually did pick up on this immediately. It was obvious, because of the circular thing, and the name of your file. But without knowledge of how it rebuilds it, of course, it's hard to know how to order things to fit what your algorithm expects.
- You can avoid being swept up in that by requiring IR as a dependency and letting it do its implacable thing first. At that point all of your code can't assume that recipes, technologies, items, entities, animations, sprites, controls, events, and projectiles have any of the properties defined in the base mod. Anything you do may end up making no sense in an IR game because black is now officially white and beans are now peas. Test everything. If you set an icon, set its size, don't assume it's still vanilla size. If you expect an entity to have a particular sprite sheet attached, you will be wrong, load it yourself instead of assuming the data.raw snippet you just tablecopied is going to have one fixed value forever. Etc. etc.
For my needs, and because it's interesting, I think the best thing is to try to put things in a place where IR would "sweep them up" along with everything else, so to speak, if you've written things in a way that makes that possible.
- Last resort, moving all of your stuff to data-updates or data-final-fixes. IR still does a few things in the later stages but nowhere near as drastic as earlier.
Very good to know.

Do you remove any crafting categories?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Ok, ok.

But Dectorio is explicitly named in the optional dependencies.
Without IR the game starts flawless.

35.525 Mods to disable:Fehler beim Laden der Mods: __Dectorio__/data-updates.lua:3: __Dectorio__/prototypes/third-party/alien-biomes.lua:132: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'count' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	__Dectorio__/prototypes/third-party/alien-biomes.lua:132: in main chunk
	__Dectorio__/data-updates.lua:3: in main chunk
stack traceback:
	__Dectorio__/data-updates.lua:3: in main chunk

View unread Posts

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:31 pm
Ok, ok.

Is Alien Biomes in the supported mods list?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm
No, but add a lot.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:32 pm
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm
No, but add a lot.
Yep, I remember you told me about those, already. :)

richarnd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by richarnd »

Amazing work. Loving the mod so far.

Is there an alternative to Squeak Through included (presumably somewhere in the research tree), or a similar mod that's compatible?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:32 pm
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:31 pm
Ok, ok.

Is Alien Biomes in the supported mods list?
Oh boy what a wreck.

Look i'm IR - dare to use all the favorite mods you are used to...

View unread Posts

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:36 pm
Look i'm IR - dare to use all the favorite mods you are used to...
Yes, I "dared" not to test and include every single mod on the portal first, even the ones I never use or the ones that are famous for breaking stuff. Or, as in this case, both. I will probably look at AB when I get around to SE but not before.

You have choices, make them.

Return to β€œMods”