read file

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: read file

Post by slippycheeze »

gabberworld wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:55 pm
only thing is lua stuff can be also build to inside dll soo technically its still lua code,
No, that is "technically" compiled code of some sort, not Lua. Lua is the text syntax, and the VM bytecode, and nothing else. So unless by "inside dll" you mean "the code inside the DLL also contains Lua code -- which is effectively data inside a DLL -- and then interacts with a Lua interpreter/VM", you are technically wrong.

gabberworld
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gabberworld »

slippycheeze wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:50 pm
gabberworld wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:55 pm
only thing is lua stuff can be also build to inside dll soo technically its still lua code,
No, that is "technically" compiled code of some sort, not Lua. Lua is the text syntax, and the VM bytecode, and nothing else. So unless by "inside dll" you mean "the code inside the DLL also contains Lua code -- which is effectively data inside a DLL -- and then interacts with a Lua interpreter/VM", you are technically wrong.
lua is not made for use text only lua files

but again, this goes off topic, my request was read file

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

gabberworld wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:56 pm
Your request has been officially denied multiple times before you even posted it. So "off topic" doesn't really apply.
What is your goal though? Do you have any mod idea that actually needs reading of outside files, or did you just want to save time by importing old code?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

gabberworld
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gabberworld »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:28 pm
gabberworld wrote:
Your request has been officially denied multiple times before you even posted it.
can be, i'm new at here so dunno what happened at past

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

gabberworld wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:44 pm
eradicator wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:28 pm
gabberworld wrote:
Your request has been officially denied multiple times before you even posted it.
You do now.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

gabberworld wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:44 pm
Perhaps you're new to forums as well? There's a search box. You can limit search results by forum subtree in the advanced search. Searching for "read file" in the ideas subforums got to viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42099&p=246753&hili ... le#p246753 pretty darn quick. If you put a little effort into searching for existing discussion of your ideas you're not making everybody else reading the forums do your searches for you to find where exactly that conversation they remember was.

gabberworld
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gabberworld »

they not say no , soo no need attack me

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This request has the same quality as reading current time/date from system. Keyword to search for is “determinism” or “deterministic”, cause that would be hit, if that request would be allowed. So it never will happen (or happen again, cause I remember in one of the very early versions reading time/date was allowed).
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

gabberworld wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:05 pm
they not say no , soo no need attack me
Not sure who you think did "not say no", but on the post linked by @quyxkh "they" clearly do say no. And on so many other posts too that you'll have to search for yourself.

Besides to anyone who's been on this forum for a bit longer this is a crystal clear fact, so this whole topic is just a very old joke retold too many times. As you can see by me continuously making hell/satan jokes because i couldn't possibly take this "request" seriously (I assumed you implicitly understood this when you asked "does Antarctica count?"). If you feel attacked by this you should've used the forum search.

But i'll sum it up for you: You will *never* be able to read *any* sort of data that is not a lua code text file located *inside* your/another mod/s directory. Not mysql, not read_file, not anything. No matter how many new topics you make about it and pretend that it's totally different this time.

@ssilk: I recommend moving this to outdated/not implemented like his other thread about the same thing.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Done.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”