Friday Facts #310 - Glowing Heat pipes

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #310 - Glowing Heat pipes

Post by Philip017 »

some people cant just be happy with the glowing pipes they need more immersion into the colors and brightness, but i think it looks great, so keep up the good work!

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Oh god, looks like the pipes are going to melt you down.

Just my personal opinion: make the glow only happens on a small part of the pipe, like a heat indicator, a small lamp (like rail signal), or a small part of the pipe covered under glass (like the window of fluid pipe), rather than glowing the whole pipe.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

Philip017 wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:30 pm
some people cant just be happy with the glowing pipes they need more immersion into the colors and brightness, but i think it looks great, so keep up the good work!
im the guy who brought you immersive laser beam glow.
sorry for improving the game.
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

stribika
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by stribika »

I really like the glowing pipes. The color could also change: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien%27s_displacement_law

kateract
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kateract »

ownlyme wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:20 pm
i don't think they'll add heat pipe damage, but it could be possible with a mod utilizing landmines maybe.. (thanks to conn11 for the idea)
I was thinking it would be closer to worm spit damage myself. Maybe that would be easier?

HornetSV
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HornetSV »

Just WOW!!!!!

gorothdablade
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gorothdablade »

don't worry, I give it a month before there is a mod allowing complete rbg control over the heat pipe glow color... and a week before the community moves on to another complaint

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

gorothdablade wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:23 pm
don't worry, I give it a month before there is a mod allowing complete rbg control over the heat pipe glow color... and a week before the community moves on to another complaint
the glow is probably just a sprite layer which might make it difficult to create a gradient from yellow to red.
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

LightspeedLazer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LightspeedLazer »

FINALLY I'm able to use heat pipes as my main light source! :D
LightspeedLazer, playing Factorio since 0.16
Steam

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

don't worry, I give it a month before there is a mod allowing complete rbg control over the heat pipe glow color...
...controllable via circuit network, moving the factory into the age of disco.

gorothdablade
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gorothdablade »

theolderbeholder wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:51 pm
don't worry, I give it a month before there is a mod allowing complete rbg control over the heat pipe glow color...
...controllable via circuit network, moving the factory into the age of disco.
OOHH Idea, an item that you can place onto ANY building that adds a light effect to that building, eventually allowing circuit controlled effect to that lighting... maybe increasing electricity consumption

If we are going to do a disco with heat pipes, I don't see why belts can't get in on it

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

kateract wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:03 pm
Am I the only one that thinks that since the pipes are glowing red hot, that maybe they should cause a small bit of damage to the player if they are walked on?
Please, no. It's bad enough we can't walk over pipes.

If this is added the second mod I'll install after Squeak Through will be Heatless Heat Pipes.

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BattleFluffy »

I absolutely LOVE the new heat pipes! They look simply awesome. I'm in love <3

Amazing job! :D

Cadde
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cadde »

Those heat pipes look nice and all but it just reminds me of how disappointed i am in the nuclear reactor system.
I was hoping for a more design oriented system where you had to find a balance between an efficient reactor and a safe reactor. Where all of Factorio comes together to make or break your base (or a significant part of it) as you fine tune everything and have safety circuits in place for when the reactor could literally melt down, produce a large volume of hydrogen gas and blow it's cover spreading radioactive waste all over the place...

But yeah, nice pipes.

zebediah49
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zebediah49 »

ownlyme wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:29 pm
the glow is probably just a sprite layer which might make it difficult to create a gradient from yellow to red.
From a technical standpoint, presumably you could use a pair of sprite layers (red and green), and mix them to produce anything in the red-yellow spectrum. That's not particularly efficient, and likely not justified for the importance of the effect here though.

------------
Cadde wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:36 pm
Those heat pipes look nice and all but it just reminds me of how disappointed i am in the nuclear reactor system.
I was hoping for a more design oriented system where you had to find a balance between an efficient reactor and a safe reactor. Where all of Factorio comes together to make or break your base (or a significant part of it) as you fine tune everything and have safety circuits in place for when the reactor could literally melt down, produce a large volume of hydrogen gas and blow it's cover spreading radioactive waste all over the place...

But yeah, nice pipes.
IMO Factorio should be and stay intrinsically safe. You can build things that are stupid or inefficient, but you should be able to fix and improve them -- a reactor that can destroy itself and others breaks that.

Instead, the balance should be similar to everything else -- fuel efficiency vs. physical size vs. complexity. I would like to see it that you can make an inefficient simple and small reactor, or you can make a large simple efficient one, or a small(ish) complex efficient one. Really though I would like to see some kind of breeder arrangement rather than Kovarex enrichment -- that mechanic just feels like an unrealistic gamey patch for the imposed 99% refinement rate nod to realism. It's better than nothing, but just barely.

Shingen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shingen »

my biggest issue with this whole thing is that...
https://cdn.factorio.com/assets/img/blo ... ipes-1.png
this image is actually a WEBP, not PNG :|
stop saving files with wrong extensions, reeeeeeeeeeeee

PS:

But yeah, nice pipes.
On one hand, it may be a cool challenge... in a mod, or something. But for a normal gameplay it would be pretty obnoxious for people making their first steps in the nuclear energy field. And hardly realistic.
Also it would incentivize getting safe and tested nuclear power plant blueprints from other players that Wube seem to want to avoid.

Greenicegod
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Greenicegod »

Really awesome addition to the reactor!
I just finished building one in my .17 playthrough, so it's cool to think about.
One thing that could be improved:
In the real world hotter things not only glow brighter, but a different colour. It goes from black to deep red to cherry to orange (look up "black body spectrum" for specifics).

Anyway, I think it would add a lot to have to colour change with the temperature...

Thanks!

kateract
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kateract »

5thHorseman wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:26 pm
kateract wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:03 pm
Am I the only one that thinks that since the pipes are glowing red hot, that maybe they should cause a small bit of damage to the player if they are walked on?
Please, no. It's bad enough we can't walk over pipes.

If this is added the second mod I'll install after Squeak Through will be Heatless Heat Pipes.
I don't think it'd have to be enough damage to kill you (especially if you're in power armor, maybe with another 1x1 module like belt immunity called heat immunity?) but just something to give some flavor to that heat. It's not like pipes that you can't walk through, may have all the potential to kill you that a train would at worst. Are you going to get a Trainless Train Track mod?

smokahontas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by smokahontas »

I love it as always! ignore the people complaining about WoW, everybody slacks off at work sometimes. also the heat pipes are great but should probably not darken as much as they should shift color like metal really does, and not be as bright.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

But yeah, nice pipes.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/RealisticReactors

Return to β€œNews”