[MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Topics and discussion about specific mods
McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (WIP)

Post by McDuff »

That makes sense, I guess I'll play with it and see what kinds of designs end up being needed. I like Shaun's experimental stacking because you can get the same output with far fewer entities, which is obviously nicer for CPU.

TheRenegade
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheRenegade »

Quick quest for you Deadlock989, are you including any of your other mods in IR by default? Or will it be a "choose your own adventure" in picking which of your mods someone wants to play with?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

TheRenegade wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:03 pm
Quick quest for you Deadlock989, are you including any of your other mods in IR by default? Or will it be a "choose your own adventure" in picking which of your mods someone wants to play with?
None of the current ones will be compulsory, no. I strongly recommend the lamps - those Bronze Age nights are dark - but it's your choice.

Rithordus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rithordus »

Will this mod have any loaders by default or do we need to bring those in with other mods?

Aquaholic27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aquaholic27 »

Rithordus wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:10 am
Will this mod have any loaders by default or do we need to bring those in with other mods?
Well, Deadlock already has a mod that adds loaders - I’d assume you would just use that. No sense in duplicating features - I already disable the Krastorio loaders because of Deadlock’s ones fitting the belt theme a little more, at least in my opinion.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Rithordus wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:10 am
The latter. They significantly alter the early (burner phase) game because they work for free. No judgement attached to that, just saying.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Why would they even be available in the burner phase ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:08 am
Why would they even be available in the burner phase ?
Because they're literally just a chute. Why are belts available? How do splitters work - pixie dust? I don't care, make your own reasons up. They're not in the main mod. I don't officially support any mod which provides them except DSB and Krastorio. It's a given that installing small mod Z on top of big mod X can change the balance of big mod X. It's also a given that physics in Factorio is magical, and I have no issue with that.
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Well yes, take splitters : they aren't immediately available, you have to research them first.
(This is not about loaders being in WIP or not.)

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:22 am
Well yes, take splitters : they aren't immediately available, you have to research them first.
(This is not about loaders being in WIP or not.)
In DSB, yellow loaders are unlocked with splitters and undergrounds, i.e. Logistics 1. IR doesn't change that. Belts work without power. Splitters work without power. Loaders work without power. Loaders are a belt with a chute attached. I'm not interested in re-hashing the age-old "belts should be powered" argument, that toast is stale.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Oh, ok, I was thinking of Angel's (graphics) loaders, which have their own techs, IIRC late Green/Blue/Prod ?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Angel's mods aren't supported.

IR leaves the unlocks for DSB loaders alone but it changes the ingredients for them so that they fit the metallurgy scheme for the corresponding belt tier - tin and copper for yellow, iron and rubber for red, steel and lubricant for blue. IR doesn't have pink, orange, or teal coloured belts and never will.

Any other mod which provides loaders most likely won't fit that scheme because it's not "normal" for iron to be unavailable to players at new game start. Whether or not those mods will even load, let alone make any sense, depends on when and in what technology the loaders are unlocked, the ingredients they are made of, and on load order, which ultimately depends on the letters in the originating mod's internal name.

The general case is that small mods which provide a few items, like a handful of loaders, will work perfectly with IR, and be automatically moved to a place that makes sense in the technology tree, if the following conditions are met:

- They load and set up their recipe prototypes before IR runs its initial data phase;
- If they add recipe unlocks to a vanilla tech or their own techs, those recipes can't create any circular tech dependencies in the IR scheme.

If either of those things are not true, they may still load and co-exist with IR, depending, but the results aren't likely to make sense to the player. If they crash and burn in a circular tech fire instead, their only recourse is to deliberately detect IR and conditionally change their behaviour. Or not bother, which is fair enough and my approach to 99% of the stuff on the mod portal. This is the stark reality of overhaul modding.

For example, a simple mod which adds a yellow loader made of iron plates and yellow belts unlocked by a custom technology will be automatically moved to the Iron Age if the conditions above are met. A mod which adds a new loader made of iron plates to Logistics 1 will die in a fire because the Iron Age depends on Logistics 1.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:33 am
Maybe you should change the name of your mod to Zindustrial Revolution.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

Adamo wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:54 am
Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:33 am
Maybe you should change the name of your mod to Zindustrial Revolution.
Hey I'm running a mod called Zzzangels and Zzzzbobs can you make it compatible please?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

It was nearly Aardvark's Aquarium at one point. I'm not even joking.

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:09 pm
TheRenegade wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:03 pm
None of the current ones will be compulsory, no. I strongly recommend the lamps - those Bronze Age nights are dark - but it's your choice.
Will you be making the nights darker? I vote for yes!

I don't know if it is my imagination or not, but in Space Expansion mod the night seem a lot darker. It adds a lot to the atmosphere and makes lights almost mandatory.

PTTG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PTTG »

Just checking, but by "early September," you do mean September 1st, right?

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

PTTG wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:36 am
Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:19 pm
Release for the second weekend of September, most likely.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

NickKsh
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NickKsh »

PTTG wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:36 am
The year wasn't specified :D

Return to “Mods”