[0.17.66] Game Crash while initializing

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
phunatique
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.66] Game Crash while initializing

Post by phunatique »

Hi,

I was updating my System (Windows10 & Nvidia), if i now try to start the Game it crashes instantly.
After reinstalling (via steam) i switched to 0.16 wich worked, but if i try to use 0.17.latest it crashes.

I attached the logs, hope it helps.

Kind regards
Attachments
factorio-dump-current.dmp
(535.97 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
factorio-current.log
(17.16 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.66] Game Crash while initializing

Post by posila »

Hello, try to
1) Reboot your computer
2) Update also Intel graphics drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... uct=126790

phunatique
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by phunatique »

done, but still crashing

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

:(
In that case, it's time for workaround - open Factorio properties in Steam Library and set launch options to

Code: Select all

--force-opengl

phunatique
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by phunatique »

this option give the sam result...

i found out, that, if i disconnect my additional monitors, the game starts as suggested, but not with them

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

phunatique wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:23 pm
this option give the sam result...

i found out, that, if i disconnect my additional monitors, the game starts as suggested, but not with them
Can you post log from crash with --force-opengl launch options set?

phunatique
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by phunatique »

sure, logs attached.

i switch my primary screen to the Laptopscreen, and ist starts, but it crashes if one of my other monitors is primary
Attachments
factorio-dump-current.dmp
(635.1 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
factorio-current.log
(12.98 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Ah, displaylink. I haven't used something like that in about 7 or 8 years. When I encountered something like that, it was not an ideal setup because it was a hacky piece of hardware piggybacking on the graphics card, and I don't recall the brand that it was. Maybe it's gotten better in recent years, but my guess would be (like in my experience back then), for Factorio, that it's an edge case of supporting uncommon hardware which has more than one custom use, which then becomes supporting one thing in a variety of different configurations which can change on a whim. I had to just say "sorry, you'll have to do this thing the normal way" to the person I was helping.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Ah, it's not DisplayPort.
Anyhow, since OpenGL crashes inside dxgi.dll the same way as when we call dxgi.dll to create DirectX device, I don't think there is anything we can do to avoid the crash.
It is either some problem in dxgi.dll (so bug in Windows), or problem with whatever DXGI uses (which is usually device drivers). Can you update drivers for your DisplayLink device? Do you use DisplayLink USB Graphics Software (https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/windows)? If so, it might be worth updating also.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Just a quick check, since it hadn't been mentioned: one thing I found that caused DXGI crashes was that some in-game overlay apps, and some "overclocking / tuning" things like RivaTuner would cause a crash there. They used hooks that broke some driver or other assumption about the state of things.

So if you have anything like that installed, I'd also try updating or disabling those, and see if the problem persists.

Return to “Technical Help”