[MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Aquaholic27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (WIP)

Post by Aquaholic27 »

Also, it’s a pretty big overhaul from what we’ve seen, if you want to play it on an existing save, you’re missing out on a pretty big chunk of the early bits - or not, because all the recipes will probably require a fair bit of infrastructure to set up so you’d probably need to redo almost everything you’ve already built - not to mention the recipe changes, with things requiring entirely different components.

Mernom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mernom »

In other words, it's probably about half as annoying as adding angelbob's to a vanilla game.

To another question, is the science pack progression tied to the metallurgy tier progression?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Mernom wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:31 pm
To another question, is the science pack progression tied to the metallurgy tier progression?
Yes. Except when it isn't.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:09 pm
Signs. Everyone wants them. Some people want to be them. But too often, we are given a sign and then also handed a literal electron microscope to look at it with. Why? No-one knows.

Not in the Revolution. Here, we make big, hulking signs. Place them down, bam, nine square meters of turf is flattened dead. You mark your territory, it stays marked.

And we don't want to press a keyboard button, hunt around, right click, left click, left click and left click again to get a map marker that matches the sign. We just want to toggle one extra button, once. And when we blueprint the sign that's tied to that map marker, we expect that map marker flag to be stored in the blueprint and be reproduced when built elsewhere, the way grandma said it would happen.

Accept no substitutes.

displayplates.png
Could you please release those signs as their own mod? They would be useful in many cases apart from the Industrial Revolution. Ideally they would also include signs for all recipes.

christian
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by christian »

damn I'm gonna have to start playing again!!! Thanks for making the mod. You are awesome!

FerrariMAF
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FerrariMAF »

Wow!!! This is amazing! Great work! Cant wait for it!!

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 am
Deadlock989 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:09 pm
Signs. Everyone wants them. Some people want to be them. But too often, we are given a sign and then also handed a literal electron microscope to look at it with. Why? No-one knows.
Could you please release those signs as their own mod? They would be useful in many cases apart from the Industrial Revolution. Ideally they would also include signs for all recipes.
+ 1,000,000,000 to this. I've stopped bothering with the signs that exist in mods because, honestly, they did not make things usefully visible. A constant combinator "sign" was easier to see, though not great. This would be super-nice to have stand-alone.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

The signs require at least 128x128 icons in order to not look like shit.

Vanilla provides a maximum of 32x32 for everything except ores. That is changing at some unknown future date to 64x64, or maybe it isn't, we don't really know.

I don't have the time, need, motivation or skill required to re-skin the entire inventory of vanilla recipes in order to make a mod that I am never going to use myself when updating vanilla to HR is literally someone else's paid job.

Please, people. Get real.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:04 am
I had no idea that was the requirement here -- had I understood that, I wouldn't have asked as I did. Sorry.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

slippycheeze wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:03 pm
Deadlock989 wrote:
If I may: you tend to use the GPL, right, Deadlock? So in theory, anyone who wants to add some more signs could grab that bit of your code, include a license to credit you, and make whatever signs they want.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Adamo wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:29 pm
If I may: you tend to use the GPL, right, Deadlock? So in theory, anyone who wants to add some more signs could grab that bit of your code, include a license to credit you, and make whatever signs they want.
This one won't be GPL. But I'm far more exercised about people lifting the graphics than the code. I would be highly likely to give permission to someone who asked nicely to use the sign placement code. TheStaplergun helped me get started with guis so they should be credited as well.

But tbf, the sign code is not rocket science. Anyone that knows their way around scripting and guis could knock it up pretty quickly if looks weren't important (spoiler: they totally are). This was the most annoying issue and there are multiple ways to crack that nut, including ignoring it and just putting up with random signage on first placement. The blueprintable map marker flag uses the red channel of the SEWO's color property, which isn't used by the entity as it doesn't have any runtime masks, to get bot builds to trigger the map marker creation.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:50 pm
Replying to agree with what you said. I've spent years putting together what I think is about the best long-term, multi-server mod pack. Looks *are* everything. Recipes matter, but little in comparison. Graphics are what make it feel real. Hey, you should visit some time.

Example: "Hey, why did you remove the hovercrafts mod from the mod pack?" "Because it looks like shit." "But it was fun." "You look like shit, too. Use a helicopter."

One thought to offer you: I know you have put a huge amount of work into your graphics. It shows, for anyone who knows a lick about what it takes. But I offer to you that if someone uses your graphic, is it not so much a "steal" as an homage.

Aquaholic27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aquaholic27 »

If someone uses the graphics without permission, then it very much is stealing - if someone used the same art style, then it’d be a homage.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Aquaholic27 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:49 am
If someone uses the graphics without permission, then it very much is stealing - if someone used the same art style, then it’d be a homage.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying that they should steal licensed artwork, and that would clearly, technically be stealing. What I'm saying is that I understand the desire to protect one's intellectual property (especially as a software developer), but also offering the perspective that a desire to use Deadlock's graphics (with permission/licensing) wouldn't come from a place of wanting to steal it out of malice, but a celebration of the fact that Deadlock's graphics are so good.

PTTG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PTTG »

This is EXACTLY the mod I've been looking forever! This looks really cool, I'm looking forward to it!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Deadlock989 wrote:

Vanilla provides a maximum of 32x32 for everything except ores. That is changing at some unknown future date to 64x64, or maybe it isn't, we don't really know.

I don't have the time, need, motivation or skill required to re-skin the entire inventory of vanilla recipes in order to make a mod that I am never going to use myself when updating vanilla to HR is literally someone else's paid job.

I would disagree with that. If you are zoomed out as people tend to do when looking for stuff then 32x32 icons will look just fine. More importantly I want the part about the map markers for every sign. If I'm standing right next to the oil refinery then I don't need the oil refinery sign. I don't care how that looks. But when I look at the map I want to see every place I blueprinted an oil refinery complex.

How the signs look isn't really your problem. If others don't supply nice 128x128 icons then the signs will look pixelated. If people don't like it then they don't have to use it or can make better icons. YOU don't have to do that part.

Why should other people make 128x128 icons when the only existing use cases look good with 32x32 icons? On the other hand if you release your signs standalone and tons of people will use them then that gives a big incentive for other modders to update their icons to 128x128 as well.

Astrella
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Astrella »

Oh wow; those are some amazing looking graphical assets.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:27 am

On the other hand if you release your signs standalone and tons of people will use them then that gives a big incentive for other modders to update their icons to 128x128 as well.
Generally speaking, I shy away from giving strong suggestions or requests to modders, since mods come from the heart. But I want to just back up this part by saying that I think this would be a hugely popular mod, if that matters to you, Deadlock.
Astrella wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:29 pm
Oh wow; those are some amazing looking graphical assets.
The best I've seen. I am so much looking forward to this.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Some last minute additions - small buffer tanks, because let's face it, no-one likes the vanilla storage tank with all its pipe connections clumped on the corners, and sometimes you just want to read a value, not stockpile an entire lake:

Electroplating machine, because even I couldn't suspend my disbelief at chrome plating with lasers, and I have a pet rat that wears flying goggles and a leather jacket:

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Deadlock, this looks fantastic. At first I wasn't sure about your dome-style storage tanks, but they're growing on me.

Return to “Mods”