Scroll wheel direction

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

How do you scroll to the next item in a list?

Scroll Wheel Up
17%
Scroll Wheel Down
83%

Total votes: 24

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Scroll wheel direction

Post by DaveMcW »

What direction do you scroll to move through a list?

I am asking because the blueprint book scroll controls feel very unintuitive to me. Am I just crazy?

Durentis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Scroll wheel direction

Post by Durentis »

Whatever direction a list requires, I tend to scroll the wrong way and then have to correct. Too much switching back and forth between MacOS and Windows. I can't even decide which y-axis setting feels more natural in FPS games anymore, though I used to always invert it. :?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Scrolling up to move DOWN in a list is among the most infuriating things about Macs.
Yes on touch screen you swipe up do move the list down, but with mouse wheel the scrolling down to move down is more logical.

Games using scroll up for next weapon have me constantly scroll the wrong way. Add to that most wheels don't have one click being one scroll command and I often cycle 2-3 weapons and the whole selection feels like random shuffling.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Scroll up to go up, Scroll down to do down.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

For flat lists, up to up, down to down. Everything else depends on the game genre. In FPS i don't invert. But when i have to control a spaceship/airplane/camera-behind-the-player i invert. But only one axis. It depends on what you mentally associate with the action. I've never used a Mac but it sounds like on mac you move the "list" itself down, and such the "viewport" would look like it goes up.

Bonus question: If you have to use [up] [down] to scroll to a horizontal list, is [up] left or right :p?
I'm firmly an up == left person.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:51 am
Bonus question: If you have to use [up] [down] to scroll to a horizontal list, is [up] left or right :p?
Nope, I try to use left/right :

:twisted:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

urza99814
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by urza99814 »

Yeah, I'd never seen or heard of scrolling up to move down a list until pretty recently, and I assume it's related to touch screens as mentioned above. Personally I find it absolutely infuriating to have something that has been standard for decades suddenly flip due to some new and largely unrelated technology. Glad the poll results are mostly sane :P

Although when playing Factorio I scroll by buttons rather than a wheel... But still, the bottom button moves the scroll bar down. At one point I was scrolling clockwise and counter-clockwise though (Steam controller -- clockwise is next item IMO...Which roughly corresponds to right = next = down)

Also, FWIW I would say that touch screens are and should be different because it's a different action. It's not really a scroll, it's a click and drag. I've seen some apps than even do both -- there's a scroll bar on the side where moving your finger down scrolls down, but if you tap and drag down in the main window will scroll up. And I don't find that to be confusing; that's exactly what I expect it to do. Dragging content is not the same as scrolling a window.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:03 am
eradicator wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:51 am
Nope, I try to use left/right :

:twisted:
I hate "pusable" analogue inputs with a passion and avoid using them as much as possible. I.e. pressing the wheel for "middle mouse button", pressing analogue sticks on controllers for "R3", etc. But thinking about it it seems i've become used to using the left/right wheelclick to navigate browser pages forward/backwards.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

I didn't. But maybe because Logitech MX620 one is so bad ?

It thankfully has a 4th top button that can be reused for middle click, and 2 side buttons for forward/backward :
Last edited by BlueTemplar on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:37 pm
I didn't. But maybe because Logitech MX620 one is so bad ?

It thankfully has a 4th top button that can be reused for middle click, ans 2 side buttons for forward/backward :
I never liked the weird top-side double-thumb button on that series. So i got a G600. Three full-sized top buttons and 12 side buttons. The most factorio-ish mouse ever: "Do we have enough buttons? No! We need to add more buttons." It's so popular that they stopped making new ones (which is basically what *always* happens to my favourite mouse...). Btw, this is my third mouse, my second one was a Logitech Dual Optical, and the first one some cheap plastic thing that "came with the computer".
g600-feature-7.png.imgw.1888.1888.jpeg
g600-feature-7.png.imgw.1888.1888.jpeg (108.68 KiB) Viewed 3002 times

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

Forward is up, back is down, and Macs are [Moderated by Koub : unnecessary trolling]. (The last good Apple pc was an Apple 3. Or maybe the Apple LIsa.)
I find that the Logitech MX518 works best for me. I usually reprogram the button behind the wheel as a middle button click.

Return to “General discussion”