Container prototype: Don't show contents in tooltip option

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Container prototype: Don't show contents in tooltip option

Post by raiguard »

I would like to request a prototype option on containers that allows one to prevent the game tooltips from showing that container's inventory contents. The reason is simple: I have a modded chest that contains a stack of every item in the game, and the tooltip is horrifying:
2019-08-10 22_30_32-D__Caleb_Programs_Rainmeter_Skins_ModernGadgets_Settings_Sidebars_Control_2_Sb2C.png
2019-08-10 22_30_32-D__Caleb_Programs_Rainmeter_Skins_ModernGadgets_Settings_Sidebars_Control_2_Sb2C.png (294.33 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
Thanks!
Don't forget, you're here forever.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Container prototype: Don't show contents in tooltip option

Post by Oktokolo »

If the tooltip display is broken for chests containing hundreds of different items, that should be fixed somehow.
Truncating the list in the tooltip and adding three dots to indicate that not all items are shown might be enough.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

For what it is worth, I think this is actually a generic problem. I have a logistic network in the "mall" where I build the zen special -- one with everything -- in order to make my own life convenient for hand-managed construction and stuff. When I mouse over something that is part of the logistic network, like the requester chest I use for one-shot stuff, I get a lovely view of all the content of the network.

It looks exactly like that, right down to hitting the bottom of the screen. The pile of "unsorted storage chests" that hold the content in whatever sequence the robots decided to throw it in there are even worse, because very few things have more than one stack. That means most chests have a tooltip with a full requester worth of different items, and then they go into the whole logistic network...

So while it is definitely made visible with a modded chest, it is also something that is visible in the standard, vanilla game.

raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by raiguard »

I assume that when the main GUI is redesigned (I think that's supposed to happen in the post-stable 0.17 feature updates), they'll fix this issue. The tooltips are also slated to be redesigned, as per the FFF gui progress tables.

Maybe they'll do something about this then.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The tooltip content not fitting on screen is a generic "thing" which has no clear solution and so has been mostly ignored.

I could easily add a property to do what this request asks for but I'm wondering - why do you have this entity in the game as something a player can even see/select if you don't want them to see this?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by raiguard »

The chest cannot be opened or fast-transferred to or from (operable = false) because the game lags hard when you open an extremely large inventory. However, the chest can be interacted with by inserters/loaders/bots and can be mined normally.

Return to “Modding interface requests”