[kovarex] [0.17.64] Inconsistent drill behavior on infinite resources

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
computerneek
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[kovarex] [0.17.64] Inconsistent drill behavior on infinite resources

Post by computerneek »

I'll say up front, this issue is completely impossible on vanilla Factorio; infinite, mining-drill-accessible resources don't exist. However, with a very simple mod that merely sets all ores to be infinite (I used "Infinite Resources - Depletion", though I plan to build a custom version that applies a lower minimum yield...), it's fully reproducible.

When placing a mining drill on an infinite ore field (I have a copper mine in my world that hits 2500% yield as a localized average), it displays expected resources- over 350/s in the above named case; this same number is displayed in the mouseover details for a placed drill. However, the drill produces exactly what it does normally: 0.5/s. Thus, a graphical bug related to infinite resources.

The other issue is with the behavior of the drill when mining. When I located a drill on the edge of a resource patch, where it got mostly 500+% deposits and a couple <30% deposits, it exhibited inconsistent behavior. It seemed to be picking deposits to draw from- and I actually had it lock up (meaning, no result, displaying 0.0/s inside) for a good fifteen seconds or more. It didn't happen again when I was watching it.

This inconsistent behavior is NOT demonstrated by pumpjacks, as they only ever have one deposit to work with, only mining drills on infinite resources.

It doesn't really damage the playability of the game, so I'm not sure if it belongs in the suggestions thread or the bug reports- which also means there's multiple ways I can think of to fix it. The easiest one I can think of that won't mess up any existing infinite-resource worlds would be simply to expose the drill operation function (and, presumably, whatever function is used to get the expected resources) for overriding by mods (I haven't been able to find any API by which I can do that). If this route is chosen, I would have no issue writing the mod in question myself.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.64] Inconsistent drill behavior on infinite resources

Post by kovarex »

Hello, thanks for the bug report, there were basically two objective problems I could identify and fix for the next version:
changelog wrote:
  • Fixed that mining drill covering more than 1 infinite resource (not in vainlla) showed the mining speed as sum instead of average. (74443)
  • Fixed that infinite item based resources with yield of more then 100% didn't actually mine more.
    So yeild of 260% for example means that it mines 2 resources and 60% probabily of 1 extra.
computerneek wrote: The other issue is with the behavior of the drill when mining. When I located a drill on the edge of a resource patch, where it got mostly 500+% deposits and a couple <30% deposits, it exhibited inconsistent behavior. It seemed to be picking deposits to draw from- and I actually had it lock up (meaning, no result, displaying 0.0/s inside) for a good fifteen seconds or more. It didn't happen again when I was watching it.
When the deposit has yield of less then 10%, it just shows 0.0, and it means that it has less then 10% of actually producing a resource. As the mining drill regularlly rotates which deposit is being mined at that moment, it also select the low- yield deposit from time to time. This is not a bug.

computerneek
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by computerneek »

You're welcome, and thank you.

I am aware that the drill's inconsistent behavior is Not A Bug; it's simply annoying (yeah, I'm a little OCD). Is it possible that the function could be exposed to mods as well, to allow mods to alter this behavior?

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

This was quite annoying, thank you for fixing it even though a mod-only issue !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”