Biters Aggressiveness towards Power Poles

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Ghostwheel
Inserter
Inserter

Biters Aggressiveness towards Power Poles

Post by Ghostwheel »

So mid to late game(default settings) most everyone is going to have satellite "bases" mining ore. These bases are defended by laser turrets (because it is not reasonable to have to bring in a supply of ammo for gun turrets, or a massive solar farm for each base) and the power poles get routinely attacked - leaving the base completely defenseless. I can't step away for long because I'll come back to destroyed ore bases. To combat this, I have a crazy amount of power poles routed every which way to my main base. This extends the life of the base but they still eventually destroy enough key power poles to bring down the power. Artillery doesn't target roaming biters, either. So we are left with this. We need some sort of solution to this because end game is becoming mostly power pole damage control... that's not fun.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Biters Aggressiveness towards Power Poles

Post by Koub »

What triggers biter aggressivity is pollution touching their nests. By clearing all nests out of your pollution cloud, and building walls around that will protect you from attacks and your power poles will be safe.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Ghostwheel wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:37 pm
...it is not reasonable to have to bring in a supply of ammo for gun turrets, or a massive solar farm for each base) and the power poles get routinely attacked - leaving the base completely defenseless.
In my opinion "it is not reasonable" is little bit strange statement under conditions "...leaving the base completely defenseless". I would call somewhat electricity independent defense system very reasonable at distant outposts. Fine but sensitive lasers can be used in main base.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

Well you have everything you need. turrets, lasers, flame throwers.
When your base grows to a decent size, material cost for building more defense etc is so trivial it can be neglected.

By now I have everything walled in.
Everything is just one big square with roboports and artillery.

ggrnd0
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ggrnd0 »

What do you want?
They eat stones and trees!

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

JimBarracus wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:18 am
By now I have everything walled in.
Everything is just one big square with roboports and artillery.
That works. You don't even need to go that far, though. Once you shoot at them the bugs get real mad, and make a bee-line (haha) toward the guns to bite them back. So a little thought, and some carefully placed holes in your walls, and bob is you roasted bug inside the lovely little kill zone you just set up.

Grindy98
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grindy98 »

Also related to this, have you ever noticed that the same power pole gets consistently destroyed? I have one save in which the biters only attack one power pole that connects to an outpost, and it's not like there is a particularly bottlenecked area. Besides, I cleared some bases that were moderately close to the problem area and still found out the SAME power pole got attacked. It seems very unlikely the biters had the same pathing that was obstructed by the pole though. I think it would be excellent if random attacks on power poles would no longer be a thing.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

It might, as, AFAIK pathing is chunk-based...
So if they come from roughly the same direction, they might pick the exact same path when approaching the outpost...
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Pandrosos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pandrosos »

Underground power cables might be an option. I'd make them later-game than big poles, the recipe could use plastic and copper cable, and they'd have no collision box so they won't be touched by biters (and also won't be knocked down by careless driving).

Return to “Balancing”