[0.17.64] Cannot remove coal from burner miner

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
pigtwo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.64] Cannot remove coal from burner miner

Post by pigtwo »

Hello,

I've ran into a bug which prevents me from playing the game. Every time I start a new game I place the given miner down on some coal but before giving it some fuel there is already coal in the output. As the fuel burns it does not add any more coal to the output. I cannot remove the coal that is in there. I makes the miner completely useless and I cannot progress in the game. I've attached a picture of the miner. I've put my starting wood in and never removed coal. The wood was burned but no new coal was produced.

I've attached what I believe is the log you want. Let me know if it's not the right one.

I've reinstalled the game from steam and it did not fix the problem. I've switched from the steam released to the beta and I still have the same problem.

I'd appreciate some help. I've wanted to play again for a while but cannot because of this bug.

Thank you.
Attachments
miner_problem.PNG
miner_problem.PNG (584.6 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
factorio-current.log
(6.97 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.17.64] Cannot remove coal from burner miner

Post by Koub »

The miner automatically outputs. You need to add either a belt or a container (wooden crate) to receive the produced material.
It you activate Alt View, you'll see exactly where it outputs (yellow arrow).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

The coal is probably lying on the ground

You can also have coal burner miners feed each other:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Burner_mining ... Coal_Mines

Also this:
https://factoriocheatsheet.com/#mining
Mining directly into furnaces is especially useful with iron and copper in the very early game

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

pigtwo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:09 am
I've ran into a bug which prevents me from playing the game. Every time I start a new game I place the given miner down on some coal but before giving it some fuel there is already coal in the output.
That's not the output. It's just an icon showing you what it is currently mining. As others have pointed out, it outputs directly into the world.

I agree it's not very consistent with nearly every other machine gui in the game, but the guis are being reworked anyway.

pigtwo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by pigtwo »

Thank you very much! I feel dumb now. I've been trying to play for a week and didn't because of this. It must have changed where before burner miners could store an amount without a box or something. I was expecting it to store it not output it so I thought it wasn't producing any.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:49 pm
I agree it's not very consistent with nearly every other machine gui in the game
The UI is fine. They do use their internal storage if they can't output their product. For example if the chest is full. Or with the miner chains I mentioned above, if all the output buffers are full.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Serenity wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:11 pm
The UI is fine. They do use their internal storage if they can't output their product. For example if the chest is full. Or with the miner chains I mentioned above, if all the output buffers are full.
We disagree. I'm talking about the slot to the right of the progress bar, which I believe is what the OP was talking about and was confused about. You can't take anything from that slot, like you can with any other machine that has an output slot in the exact same position. It shows an icon of a resource in that slot regardless of whether it has mined anything yet or not. If the miner is a burner miner then it will put burnable things into its own fuel slot, but only if it is a burner miner. If it isn't, it doesn't have any internal storage at all.

I'm not going to have an argument about it, I personally find it counter-intuitive, but it's not a big deal and the game guis aren't final anyway.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:22 pm
Serenity wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:11 pm
We disagree. I'm talking about the slot to the right of the progress bar, which I believe is what the OP was talking about and was confused about. You can't take anything from that slot, like you can with any other machine that has an output slot in the exact same position. It shows an icon of a resource in that slot regardless of whether it has mined anything yet or not. If the miner is a burner miner then it will put burnable things into its own fuel slot, but only if it is a burner miner. If it isn't, it doesn't have any internal storage at all.

I'm not going to have an argument about it, I personally find it counter-intuitive, but it's not a big deal and the game guis aren't final anyway.
The icon should show a count of 0 when empty to indicate it is jut a placeholder.

Return to “Gameplay Help”