Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] Text Plates

Post by Pi-C »

Earendel wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:13 pm
Pi-C wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:30 pm
This reliably happens as soon as I use "mouse over a text plate" + "q" while having no text plates in my inventory. The game will crash and take me back to the Main menu. (I've removed all other mods and it still happens.)
Thanks, that should be fixed now.
It is, the game doesn't crash anymore. But now, this feature isn't working anymore:

Code: Select all

Version: 0.4.4
  Features:
    - Manually placing a blank text plate over a ghost text plate places the symbol of the ghost.
I'm feeling bad now, spoiling your weekend with so many complaints. If you want to, just announce in the next version that this feature doesn't work.
Earendel wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:13 pm
I like atom, but it does like adding spaces a little too much. I guess I'll have to show invisible characters from now on otherwise this will keep happening.
I didn't know even atom, had to google it! Well, I don't have a github account either, using vi mainly if I have to edit just a single file. But I know what you mean: Even if you know the rules, it is too easy to break them by mistake. White space is the fiend! White space is to changelog authors what trees are to the Factorian. :-D
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Pi-C wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:09 pm
It is, the game doesn't crash anymore. But now, this feature isn't working anymore:

Features:
    - Manually placing a blank text plate over a ghost text plate places the symbol of the ghost.
Hmmm... it is still working for me.

The "blank" one is the one on the top left of the symbol selection that places random symbols if not placed on a ghost. I think I should update the tooltip to "Wildcard (Inherits ghosts symbols)" or something.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Earendel wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:40 pm
Pi-C wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:09 pm

Features:
Hmmm... it is still working for me.
Ooops, my mistake!
The "blank" one is the one on the top left of the symbol selection that places random symbols if not placed on a ghost. I think I should update the tooltip to "Wildcard (Inherits ghosts symbols)" or something.
I meant an empty text plate. However, I only had 3 empty text plates in my inventory when I did the test. I've spent them on a ghost I'd just put down. After that, I used the pipette tool to select a letter and put it down. But as I didn't have any textplates left in my inventory, I actually put down the ghost of an empty text plate instead of a real one with the selected letter without realizing that it was just a ghost. Sorry, and thanks for the fix! :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

No problem, this is much better than bugs going unreported.

Solinya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Solinya »

The textplate ghosts work now. With the latest version I haven't had any more bot problems, and I like being able to place plates over ghosts manually in the pre-bot game.

However, I've noticed lag when manually placing plates over a ghost. There's a roughly 15 FPS/UPS drop per plate placed, so stamping down a word can freeze up the game for a couple seconds. Looks like it might be related to the rendering as the plate shows as a square for a brief bit before changing to the right letter/symbol. We've seen this in both singleplayer and multiplayer. Other players in the game are affected even if they're viewing stuff across the map when I put plates down.

It only happens when manually placing plates over a ghost. Placing plates with no ghost is fine. Placing plates via bots is fine (even over ghosts).

Edit: Now that I've said it's 100% reproducible it ends up being not 100% reproducible. Maybe it has something to do with how many active map chunks there are?

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Earendel wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:15 pm
Text Plates
Excuse me for writing a request here (I failed to register an account in discordapp).
Could you add some plates in red color? It doesn't need to be blood red, just kind of red. I’d like to write a few texts for caution in my base.
Thank you.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

coppercoil wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:12 pm
Earendel wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:15 pm
Text Plates
Excuse me for writing a request here (I failed to register an account in discordapp).
Could you add some plates in red color? It doesn't need to be blood red, just kind of red. I’d like to write a few texts for caution in my base.
It has to be the blood font...

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Any chance you could make the uranium text plates glow? That would be awesome.

Grejt_cz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Accents

Post by Grejt_cz »

Could you please add tiles for caron (ˇ) and accute(´) and other accents ( ¨ , etc. ). Player could place them above a letter to add accent. Otherwise there is no way to write ě, š, č, ř, ž, ý, á, é, ü, ö, ů, ...
Thanks

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

maybe asked here all ready, however is it possible to make text plates visible on map view?

Also +1 to Uranium plates glowing.

fhoulbr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fhoulbr »

Hello there,

Since 0.18.9, Text Plates generate an error :
https://imgur.com/qeT9qHu

73.265 Error MainLoop.cpp:1202: Exception at tick 5184977: The mod Text Plates (0.5.1) caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event textplates::on_player_cursor_stack_changed (ID 29)
Unknown style edit_label_button
stack traceback:
	__textplates__/control.lua:43: in function 'show_gui'
	__textplates__/control.lua:68: in function <__textplates__/control.lua:65>
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'add'
	__textplates__/control.lua:43: in function 'show_gui'
	__textplates__/control.lua:68: in function <__textplates__/control.lua:65>

masonl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by masonl »

Bug report: I was ran over by a train while placing the text plates. When I re-spawned I had no way of closing the text chooser dialog.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Hmm, no upgrade planner compatibility ? (To switch colors...) :cry:
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

jengo1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jengo1 »

I upgraded from 0.6.6 and have this error during load of my map

The mod Text Plates (0.6.9) caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event textplates::on_configuration_changed
__textplates__/control.lua:266: bad argument #1 of 2 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'pairs'
	__textplates__/control.lua:266: in function 'get_characters_for_symbols'
	__textplates__/control.lua:291: in function <__textplates__/control.lua:277>

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

jengo1 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:24 am
I upgraded from 0.6.6 and have this error during load of my map
Not the author, but unzipping the mod and replacing line 266 of control.lua with

for character, symbol in pairs(added_mappings or {}) do
should at least fix the immediate crash. :-)

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

I had this error with even more text plates. i removed the mod and text plates runs fine so far.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Return to “Mods”