Belt speed vs. Input ratios problem

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Quax
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Belt speed vs. Input ratios problem

Post by Quax »

Ok, again I'm confuced by the relation between the number of items transported on the belt and the input for an assembly machine. I started to produce the firearm magazine. The recipy shows an input ratio of 4 iron plates per second for one assembly machine. Following the WIki, the number of items transported by a (yellow) tranport belt seems to be 13,33 items/s using two lanes (I however think I remember that this has been changed to 15 for sake of even numbers). So, given the 15 items/s, one (yellow) belt should be able to support 4 assembly machines (falling short for 1 plate/s, as 4 assembly machines x 4 plates/s equals 16 plates/s).

However, as you can see from my screenshot, I'm able to fully support 6 assembly machines (I checked No. 5 and 6, they are producing ammo continously) + partial support for 2 assembly machines (meaning that these two machines are not producing ammo clips continously, as they have to wait for the iron plates some seconds). Not taking into account these two machines, I'm obviously providing 24+ plates/s.

So which information did I miss resently?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Belt speed vs. Input ratios problem

Post by Koub »

The crafting speed of your assembling machines is not 1.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Quax wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:14 pm
Ok, again I'm confuced by the relation between the number of items transported on the belt and the input for an assembly machine. I started to produce the firearm magazine. The recipy shows an input ratio of 4 iron plates per second for one assembly machine. Following the WIki, the number of items transported by a (yellow) tranport belt seems to be 13,33 items/s using two lanes (I however think I remember that this has been changed to 15 for sake of even numbers). So, given the 15 items/s, one (yellow) belt should be able to support 4 assembly machines (falling short for 1 plate/s, as 4 assembly machines x 4 plates/s equals 16 plates/s).

However, as you can see from my screenshot, I'm able to fully support 6 assembly machines (I checked No. 5 and 6, they are producing ammo continously) + partial support for 2 assembly machines (meaning that these two machines are not producing ammo clips continously, as they have to wait for the iron plates some seconds). Not taking into account these two machines, I'm obviously providing 24+ plates/s.

So which information did I miss resently?
Your math is solid, what you are missing is the crafting speed of assembly machine 1. It's less than 1, so it consumes less than you would expect based on that. I do suggest getting helmod, if you are planning to do extensive calculations. It's painful to grasp how it works at first, but it saves you so much time in calculations, it's insane. My handmade excel tables never came close to it.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Basically divide by the crafting speed, which is 0.5 for AM1

There is also the Factorio Calculator:
https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.htm ... gazine:f:8

You can switch between datasets under "Settings". The 0.16 one has the lower belt speed. That one can only do 7 assemblers:
https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.htm ... gazine:f:7

For your input issues switch to fast inserters if possible. Ammo needs a lot of plates in a short amount of time

Quax
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Quax »

Oh .. yes, indeed .. I forgot the crafting speed. Or, to be more precise, I assumed the basic assembly machine would have a crafting speed of 1, with the subsequent machines getting faster than 1.

I'm using the factorio calulater already for more complicated setups. I nevertheless do a manual calculation as a kind of training / understanding the game mechanics.

Return to “Gameplay Help”