Why don't I see many players online in my server list?

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Am0rphus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Why don't I see many players online in my server list?

Post by Am0rphus »

Hello, I'm trying to join a server to play with others and most servers on my list appear derelict, with 0/5 or 0/50 players. Only a few servers actually have online players. Other servers just show a "0" for the number of players, I'm not sure whether that means that there are indeed 0 players online or if the server refuses to disclose the player count. I would assume that there would be more than 1 or 2 people online in the entire world since Factorio seems to have a fairly big community, at least from what I've seen.

Can someone let me know what I'm missing? Is the server list only showing me north America servers? Is Factorio just a game that most people prefer to play alone?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Why don't I see many players online in my server list?

Post by Loewchen »

What exact version are you on?

pato
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pato »

There are few players in multiplayer. Peak time is over for factorio.
Most players come back when major updates get released.

I also would like to play mp but it is very hard to find a team especially when playing with few mods.

best chance is to open a thread in multiplayer and ask for people to join, but i didnt have to much luck too

Maybe you want to join my server

Am0rphus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Am0rphus »

Thanks Pato, what is the name of your server?

Loechen, I am using version 0.17.52 on windows 10. Could that have something to do with it? Maybe players with different versions are invisible to each other? I know that there is a newer version, I just haven't gotten around to updating yet, never thought that that could be the cause.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Am0rphus wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:57 am
Loechen, I am using version 0.17.52 on windows 10. Could that have something to do with it? Maybe players with different versions are invisible to each other? I know that there is a newer version, I just haven't gotten around to updating yet, never thought that that could be the cause.
Even if you could see other players on different versions in the list, you would not be able to play with them. You should update.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Adamo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:17 am
Am0rphus wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:57 am
Even if you could see other players on different versions in the list, you would not be able to play with them. You should update.
Yeah, there'll be a ton more players on 0.17.63 than 0.17.52. Players on different versions are invisible, and the way you could see servers on different versions had a bug that was fixed in - wait for it - 17.63.

Edit: .63, not .53.
Last edited by Jap2.0 on Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

If you are actually on .52 then I would be surprised that you found any server with players on. The current version is 0.17.63.

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

Servers usually update rather quickly to the newest release of factory. For that reason it is recommended to update to that - or the version of the server you know and which you prefer (if it isn't yet the latest).

As you cannot join servers which run a different version of factorio (That's a hard technical limitation), you are shown only the servers which run the exact same version as you do.

pato
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pato »

if you want to play with me please use version 0.17.59 with the attached mod pack
you also need to download ALIEN BIOMES and ALIEN BIOMES high res and CARGO SHIPS

Server name: Fortress Walhalla

You need a good PC and fast internet connection because the map is BIG
Attachments
mod-settings.7z
(2.39 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
mods.7z
(50.29 MiB) Downloaded 120 times

Return to “Multiplayer”