Topics and discussion about specific mods
darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[MOD 0.17] Ice Ore

Post by darkfrei »

Type: Mod
Name: Ice Ore
Description: This mod adds "ice-ore", special ice smelting furnace, witch can smelt ice ore. So, now it's possible to disable water at all and collect ores only.
License: MIT
Download: mods.factorio.com
Version: 0.3.1
Release: 2019-08-06
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.17.63
Category: Manufacture
Tags: Smelting

Version history
Last edited by darkfrei on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Ice Ore

Post by foodfactorio »

hi, i tried your mod, and found lots of ice ore patches in my game :)
(about 75 million ores) :D

i was wondering if it is only used for making water, or if there is anything else that can be done with it while in ore form?
(my map that i have in my game, already has lots of water, so was trying to see if maybe some kind of extra recipe could be added if you get some time, even just to maybe be able to heat and filter it, even to get a chance of getting some small stones? :)

that way i can use it for water, and also for making stone to use in building, and tar in pycoal mod :)

Here are some recipe ideas that could be fun to use, if possible like the ability to turn:

0) Ice Ore > water x100 (already in the game)

+ new basic recipes for your Ice Smelter:
1) Ice Ore > water x100 + 1 vanilla Stone (hopefully easy to do) it could be 99 water and 1 stone but probably easier to use with multiples of 100 water.
(this will add extra stone for any buildings or mods using stone) :)

+ new recipe chain and ideas for extra mod fun:
2) Ice Ore > water x70 + Ice Residuals x30 (new item)
3) Ice Residuals (in Ice Smelter or Assembler to sift the residuals into) > Stone Pebbles (new item) x25 + Residual Organic Matter (new item) x2
4) Residual Organic Matter x10 (in Ice Smelter, or a new Ice Furnace) > 1 Oil (vanilla)
5) Stone Pebbles x25 (in Assembler) > Stone x5 (vanilla)

Plus some specific Angel mods items (but i am not sure if angel would need to also add code to make these work, but maybe there is a way to add it in a generic way?)

4b) Residual Organic Matter x10 (in Ice Smelter, or a new Ice Furnace) > 1 Natural Gas (angels Petrochem)
(this would also provide an extra use for players with angel mods, in addition to the Ice Ore being useful as water, it would also be a very small source of gasses for the petrochem chain, but with lots of Ice Ore and some base building skills, it would all help to get more gasses :)

6) Ice Ore > Water x50 + Murky Water x30 (new item) + Stone Pebbles x20
Murky Water x30 (in Ice Smelter or Ice Furnace) > Residual Organic Matter (new item) x2 + Viscous Mud Water x28 (angels item)

i think all these could be catered for, if recipes 4b and 6 are added to the game (assuming they can be added without problems etc), and this would mean that your Ice Ore mod would allow the following things to be obtained:

Vanilla Items, like Water, Stone and Oil (allowing anything that uses stone, such as existing recipe chains and bricks, and any mod like angels or pycoal, which can turn it into tar and slag slurry with their own existing recipe chains, but also, some new items mentioned above, which can also allow for "Natural Gas" (which can be used in pretty much all of the petrochem chains), and the "Viscous Mud Water" can be simply piped back into the angels Washer chain, for all the filtering into sands, clays and mud that already exists) :D

EDIT: just adding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerogen as a link about the Residual Organic Matter above :)
Last edited by foodfactorio on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

here are a couple of screenshots of the current game, along with angel washing chain, which starts from the bottom of the screen, near the main water source:
Attachments
current_game_showing_water_and_angel_washing_process.png
current_game_showing_water_and_angel_washing_process.png (4.82 MiB) Viewed 9076 times
map_with_most_white_patches_being_IceOre-about_70million_in_total.png
map_with_most_white_patches_being_IceOre-about_70million_in_total.png (182.67 KiB) Viewed 9076 times
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

Не работают боб модули, и хорошо бы 2 установку сделать более быструю как раз работающую с модулями боба.
по русски (по английски пишу а то забанят)
eng
Not wor in bob modules, and add 2 machine in worked modules bobs

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi ariat, in my game im using bobmodules_0.16.0.zip and did not get any errors.
do you mean you want to be able to add modules (like speed modules and others) into the ice furnaces? if so, thats cool too :)

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi darkfrei, is there a way to allow the ice Smelter (from Ice Ore) and the Turret (from Cannon Alpha), to allow the character to Squeek Through?

i posted here as well (in case it can only be added by supercheese in his mod) but maybe it is something that needs to be slightly modified in your mods? i keep getting trapped when i put a smelter near the turret :)
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=16476&start=80#p340443
Attachments
squeekthrough-cannon_alpha-iceore_smelter.png
squeekthrough-cannon_alpha-iceore_smelter.png (626.11 KiB) Viewed 8828 times

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

foodfactorio wrote:hi darkfrei, is there a way to allow the ice Smelter (from Ice Ore) and the Turret (from Cannon Alpha), to allow the character to Squeek Through?
Cannon Alpha 0.1.3 - Changed collision box. Now you can squeek through.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CannonAlpha

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

cool, thanks darkfrei, it works great :)

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi darkfrei, ive been using the Ice Ores on the map, in the AngelBobYuoki game, and it is great for topping up 100 to 200 water every few seconds in my compact Yuoki area: :) viewtopic.php?f=70&t=3453&start=1140#p345431 (picture 2, in the middle, where the process just needed a little bit more water to keep it going)

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

just added https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerogen as a link about the "Residual Organic Matter" in the 1st post above :)
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=57113#p338704

it seems to fit quite well as Kerogen is organic :)

planner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by planner »

maybe add electric furnace? it could be better if i can remove fuel line from ice ore smelting line.

thx for making this great mod!

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

planner wrote:maybe add electric furnace? it could be better if i can remove fuel line from ice ore smelting line.

thx for making this great mod!
Added (optional, default: false).

planner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by planner »

thank you!

planner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by planner »

can u update this mod for 0.17? thx for this great mod!

planner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by planner »

thank you!

planner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by planner »

well, it's crashed to launch with big bag mod.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

planner wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:33 am
well, it's crashed to launch with big bag mod.
Can you please send a screenshot of it?
Used mods is also good.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Posting here half to subscribe to the thread and half to just tell you about the 0.3.0 patch. Yeah it was released 9 days ago so you already tried it already probably. But the portal has notifications now so it is pretty good now and you are welcome there too :) . The patch was made by me, with the collaboration of darkfrei.
We discussed it in a portal forum thread for those that want to read pages after pages of calculations and ideas on balance.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/IceOre/changelog wrote:Version: 0.3.0
Date: 01. 06. 2019
Changes:
- Major rebalance (buff) of the mod following discussion at https://mods.factorio.com/mod/IceOre/di ... 000cdf4e01
- Changes include
120 water/ice ore when melting (was 30).
Melting takes 1 energy, 1 second in the coal powered melter (was 3.2).
Mining time is 100% for Ice Ore (was 200%).
This makes it much more in line with the rest of the games balance. You need about as much ice mining
as coal mining for coal power now.
- Added an expensive version of the recipe for those that play in expensive mode.
Expensive recipes mode recipe: 60 water/ice ore melted and 2 seconds to melt.
- Balance patch by Qon, so don't blame darkfrei q:
Just recipe changes so nothing should break. And even the new expensive
recipe is buffed compared to the old recipe so your setup will work as before
with just some machines idling if you were on ratio.

Kythblood
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Ice Ore

Post by Kythblood »

I am playing the Mod Ribbon Maze and wanted to add a little more variation in terms of ore without Bobs/Angels etc so this mod was perfect but even if I turn the frequency in the world generation settings down to the lowest (17%) half of my ores are still ice.
Is there somewhere in the code a number I could tweak to reduce the frequency to something like 1/30th of what it currently is? I only found a value for the richness.
I am not a coder, so if someone could help me out I would appreciate it very much.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Ice Ore

Post by darkfrei »

Kythblood wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:13 pm
I am playing the Mod Ribbon Maze and wanted to add a little more variation in terms of ore without Bobs/Angels etc so this mod was perfect but even if I turn the frequency in the world generation settings down to the lowest (17%) half of my ores are still ice.
Is there somewhere in the code a number I could tweak to reduce the frequency to something like 1/30th of what it currently is? I only found a value for the richness.
I am not a coder, so if someone could help me out I would appreciate it very much.
Done, by the version 0.3.1 is 0.17-vanilla-like resource generation. Earlier it was generator from 0.15 or 0.16.

Return to “Mods”