[MOD 0.17.60+] Deadlock's Astonishingly Basic Oil Refinery (Special 1760 Edition)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[MOD 0.17.60+] Deadlock's Astonishingly Basic Oil Refinery (Special 1760 Edition)

Post by Deadlock989 »

Description
Ever felt like oil was a bit ... difficult? Got a nasty case of option paralysis because you've got too much to do and not enough time to do it in? Let all your worries sink away with Deadlock's Very Basic Oil Refinery (Special 1760 Edition).

With the new oil schema in Factorio 0.17.60, Basic Oil Processing is a one in, one out recipe. So why not have a nice, simple, easy-to-learn machine to match? Enter the Very Basic Oil Refinery. It has just one input and just one output so none of those confusing blocked pipes that try to mix fluids all of a sudden. It even sets the Basic Oil Processing recipe for you, smoothing out that difficulty curve even further. Just plonk it down, chuck some oil in and out comes the win. Smashing!

The Very Basic Oil Refinery is unlocked by Oil Processing research. The real refinery is now unlocked by Advanced Oil Processing because let's face it, it doesn't have anything else to do until then.

Factorio 0.17.60 is required.
Mod portal link
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/DeadlockBasicOil1760
FAQ
Isn't it just a fucking massive pipe?

Yes. Yes it is.

Are those flare stacks?

No. They are definitely not two big fires that make all the nasty complication go away magically. No. You can't see them.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [MOD 0.17.60+] Deadlock's Astonishingly Basic Oil Refinery (Special 1760 Edition)

Post by Bilka »

:)
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17.60+] Deadlock's Astonishingly Basic Oil Refinery (Special 1760 Edition)

Post by mmmPI »

Thanks for your mods !

This one plus the one that allow you to not place that many belts are great to make the game easier !

Will definitely advise them to new players !

Or maybe even experienced players that find mods like Bob and angel a bit too hard for them !

This look like a simple pipe, so when you have to deal with more fluids than the only 3/4 in vanilla, you could this nice graphical asset to cut out the easy receipe from vanilla and the harder receipe , where you'd use other building/receipe. :)

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:24 pm
Description
Ever felt like oil was a bit ... difficult? Got a nasty case of option paralysis because you've got too much to do and not enough time to do it in? Let all your worries sink away with Deadlock's Very Basic Oil Refinery (Special 1760 Edition).
Looks good, nice graphics! It must have taken you quite some time and effort to make this mod. I guess it was a work of love … :-P
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Pi-C wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:45 pm
Looks good, nice graphics! It must have taken you quite some time and effort to make this mod. I guess it was a work of love … :-P
Thanks. The time and effort involved were entirely appropriate.

I'm thinking it doesn't go far enough. There are still too many options for the player, the difficulty curve is still non-zero. I think we could get the pipe connections down from two to one if we just have it produce its own crude oil.

Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Therenas »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:24 am
Pi-C wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:45 pm
Thanks. The time and effort involved were entirely appropriate.

I'm thinking it doesn't go far enough. There are still too many options for the player, the difficulty curve is still non-zero. I think we could get the pipe connections down from two to one if we just have it produce its own crude oil.
Could just place it above an oil wells and have rocket fuel coming straight out I think. That way, you wouldn't even be bothered with those annoying pipes.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

This mod looks like it had a lot of careful thought put into it to ensure the user isn't too overwhelmed by the few options it makes available to us. So few mods seem to put in that extra effort and tend to cause more problems for users than they solve.

I am curious to learn where the excess oil disappears to, as I don't see how all that oil goes in yet such a reduced volume comes out at the end of the drum. It must be another one of life's mysteries science has yet to explain, like magnets and the mystical comb-over hairstyle.

Perhaps I'll look into the code to learn more. Thank you for the mod.

Return to “Mods”