[0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Which weapons options, Do you Prefer to have in your Armor ?

Personal SHOTGUN PROXIMITY Shield.
11%
Personal CHAIN GUN AMMO Turrets {LARGE Slots [1x3][+ammo]}.
42%
MineLayer Droppings Turn ON/OFF when retreating increasing Area effect [3x3] research or add Dynamite or Cliff for advanced mines.
16%
Final Grenade research is a Grenade Launcher [ON/OFF]
32%

Total votes: 19

b_d
Inserter
Inserter

[0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by b_d »

:mrgreen: :arrow:
  1. L-shaped Slots for the Suit that can be Rotated?
  2. Ammo placed inside the Suit
  3. Little energy Used that Solar Panels enough without reactor
  4. Shotgun activates when enemies are closer inside the firing arc
Making Other Weapons relevant to use.

Mine Layer when retreating. gapped :!:

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to General discussion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

b_d
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.17] Personal Defense TECH Suggestion for Additional BASE WEAPONS

Post by b_d »

:?: Is Suggestion of wanting Better weapons Considered a MOD ? and NOT a Request to place in the BASIC weapons set

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rjskeet »

Would love to see atleast the personal chaingun as a parallel to the personal defense lasers maybe even a prereq for it.
The personal minlayer is interesting however you could just use the personal roboport for that.
Anyhow I do believe powersuits need alittle updating like fusion reactors should be changed over to nuclear, your personal turrent idea is a great suggestion for modular armor.

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

Automating throwing grenades and automated shotguns feels rather dangerous, I'd imagine multiplayer, or where one passes your defences. Autotrigger on machine gun could be useful, but I don't see the point why they need to be in the armour (taking up space), since you still want to see which weapon you have selected, so it's actually fine as it is when they add toggle auto fire (you could hide that button like toggle exoskeleton.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Make the fusion reactor perform a thermonucular explosion with atomic bomb radius and strength on player death.

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rjskeet »

Oktokolo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:09 am
Make the fusion reactor perform a thermonucular explosion with atomic bomb radius and strength on player death.
Omg yes, except if you got killed by a train in the middle of your base......

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Oktokolo wrote:
Creating a nuclear blast is pretty hard, even in the middle of a nuclear reactor. It's not even a matter of the reactors being made that way, you really have to go out of your way to create the kind of chain reaction that a bomb needs. When a reactor blows up, it's some kind of coolant explosion. In a battle between high pressure steam and thick walls of concrete, the steam still wins.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Rjskeet wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 am
Oktokolo wrote:
That is the point. Make each player death count and be a spectacular thing you will remember - whether it is happening in a biter base or your own (or your opponents in PvP).
bobucles wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:45 am
Creating a nuclear blast is pretty hard, even in the middle of a nuclear reactor. It's not even a matter of the reactors being made that way, you really have to go out of your way to create the kind of chain reaction that a bomb needs. When a reactor blows up, it's some kind of coolant explosion. In a battle between high pressure steam and thick walls of concrete, the steam still wins.
I know.
Real fusion reactors just couldn't do the thermonucular mushroom cloud at all.
But the vanilla Factorio tech tree is almost pure fantasy anyways. Fusion reactors can't for physical reasons ever be net-positive at human-size scale. But they are the most efficient small-scale energy source in the game - so they better be able to go boom in a spectacular way too...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Oktokolo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:48 pm
Fusion reactors can't for physical reasons ever be net-positive at human-size scale.
I'm sure your wisdom would be most useful to the people who inject nowadays billions into research and developpment for small scale fusion power generators :mrgreen: .
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Koub wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:54 am
Oktokolo wrote:
Fusion reactors can't for physical reasons ever be net-positive at human-size scale.
I'm sure your wisdom would be most useful to the people who inject nowadays billions into research and developpment for small scale fusion power generators :mrgreen: .
I am pretty sure, the people taking that billions know already - the investors obviously do not...

The main problem with small-scale fusion energy generation is that you have all that hightech around the actual plasma wich needs power too. Maintaining fusion in small scale reactors is possible and has been done - it just does not output more energy than has to go in.
That is the reason for fusion reactors getting bigger and bigger. The biggest will soon be Iter wich is expected to get into the net-positive region (still for science only - no electricity generation yet).

By the way: The Factorio fusion reactor really looks more like a radioisotope thermoelectric generator to me (and yes, they can't explode either but more boom is better).

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rjskeet »

Oktokolo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:45 am
Koub wrote:
Oktokolo wrote:
I am pretty sure, the people taking that billions know already - the investors obviously do not...

The main problem with small-scale fusion energy generation is that you have all that hightech around the actual plasma wich needs power too. Maintaining fusion in small scale reactors is possible and has been done - it just does not output more energy than has to go in.
That is the reason for fusion reactors getting bigger and bigger. The biggest will soon be Iter wich is expected to get into the net-positive region (still for science only - no electricity generation yet).

By the way: The Factorio fusion reactor really looks more like a radioisotope thermoelectric generator to me (and yes, they can't explode either but more boom is better).
On a quick side note to this, the other half of the fusion problem is the very high amount of neutrons that are released because of the tritium/deuterium fuel.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Rjskeet wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:45 pm
Oktokolo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:45 am
Koub wrote:
Oktokolo wrote:

On a quick side note to this, the other half of the fusion problem is the very high amount of neutrons that are released because of the tritium/deuterium fuel.
Of course only IF you use D/T-Fusion. Fusion with the He3 isotope and with or without Deuterium are neutron free.

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rjskeet »

Sadly, D/T fusion is the only kind they are willing to try because hydrogen does bad things in are atmosphere...

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

In case you missed it :
Google Investigates Cold Fusion
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:46 pm
In case you missed it :
Sadly all research performed on cold fusion is up until now less than underwhelming, to put it lightly.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:46 pm
In case you missed it :
Google is known for investigating every idea they happen to know about. Look at the list of axed services and don't forget that they once even owned Boston Dynamics - wich was and still is researching military robots...

Google (well, they humbly renamed themselve to "Alphabet") is making almost all of its money by delivering ads to browsers. That is a lucrative strategy as long as users don't use adblockers and customers don't start using alternative ad networks. They know that adblockers are on the rise and that society is slowly adapting to the presence of ads. So they desperately try to diversify their revenue sources. They deliberately also try things wich are commonly known to be impossible to pull off but would be absurdly profitable if they would work. They have shittons of money to burn and are desperate, so burning money is what they do.

So i am not surprised that they investigate cold fusion. It is just one of hundreds of things they are currently investigating...

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

This was neither about successes in cold fusion nor Google... have you even RTFA ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

b_d
Inserter
Inserter

Different Deaths

Post by b_d »

Oktokolo wrote:
Rjskeet wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 am
Oktokolo wrote:
That is the point. Make each player death count and be a spectacular thing you will remember - whether it is happening in a biter base or your own (or your opponents in PvP).
bobucles wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:45 am
I know.
Real fusion reactors just couldn't do the thermonucular mushroom cloud at all.
But the vanilla Factorio tech tree is almost pure fantasy anyways. Fusion reactors can't for physical reasons ever be net-positive at human-size scale. But they are the most efficient small-scale energy source in the game - so they better be able to go boom in a spectacular way too...
Probably a Small Crater that needs to be filled with Land Fill. But to retrieve the items and the small amount of time till your body disappears especially if your Far from your body.

Some Epic Blasts only if Self-Destruction button is activated. like a dead-man- switch bomber only activates when it's ON and when you die but a smaller blast radius.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Not really a defensive tech per se, but ... I’d love to see ‘nuclear generator’ as an item to equip into one’s powered armor. This thing comes fully charged, and has a huge amount of power available - far more than the PFG’s power output. But it functions like a battery, and does not generate additional power. Instead, once its depleted, its depleted, and must be replaced, as it does not refill (unlike a current battery, which comes empty, and can be filled/drained freely).

It would allow for short bursts of higher intensity combat, separated by having to remove and replace spent nuclear ‘batteries’. Imagine having a 4x2 or a 2x4 item item that puts out more power than the PFG, is smaller allowing for more shields and PLD’s (or other personal automatic weapons as asked about in the OP), but has the logistical element of not being free energy in perpetuity.

Greater freedom in deciding shields, personal automatic weapons, or power, should make things a bit more interesting, I would think.

Return to “General discussion”