When do YOU give up and start fresh?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Expunge
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: When do YOU give up and start fresh?

Post by Expunge »

Pretty much as soon as things in my map start to get out of control. I don't mind a fresh start but man I'm never going to launch a rocket at this rate.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

Other reasons to restart --
Map styles -- island? ribbon?
Map variations -- resources? Railworld? Deathworld?
Steam/Achievements (some are mutually exclusive -- Lazy vs OnTheRailsPRO/8hrs)
New mods to start with? (Space Exploration? )
Learning new blueprints and styles for nuclear/rail/solar/defense, or through trial and error on your current map you had an epiphany around placement/belt weaving.

Playing with friends!
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Does "I restarted because I accidentally deleted my save game directory"* count as giving up? :-D

*Not every saved game I ever had was lost because I have different versions of Factorio installed. But every save from my last game has gone down the drain …
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Jan11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jan11 »

I finish the game every time. Most of the time after rocket launch. I play everytime marathon.
After that I don`t play factorio for some months and then that I play again.

Ah and I reset all my achievements

Paulusss
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Paulusss »

I play mostly with a friend, we start over when we made a megabase and launch a rocket every minute.
Then take a little brake and start all over from scratch, but we do not like defending our base against enemies, so we play without them, we are pure builders and nothing else :)

We made 3 megabases to date now, probably 200 hours or more a megabase.
At the moment we just started over and are almost done with our starter base which takes us about 16 hours or so, and then progress and build a megabase, we do not evolve the starter base into a megabase, they are compleetly seperate, starter base mostly functions to get a few thausand space science upgrade robot speed and let it make all the things we need to start on the megabase in a different location.
Most time goes in designing the gigantic smelters, train stations ect, we try to expand our limit every time and build bigger and bigger every time :)

So yeah when that is done, we will start over and see what we come up next time :)

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I generally keep playing as much as I can. Back in 0.14.x I had a map past 2,000 hours, 0.15.x I had a map in the hundreds of hours played, etc. I may play additional maps but know those are only temporary, e.g if I play with a friend introducing them to the game or want to practice growing a factory from the beginning.

I restart when:
- minor version changes: (i.e. 0.16.x to 0.17.x)
- any change that would affect the way I would grow a factory from the beginning
- very early in the game and I make a significant screw-up or don't like the way its configured

The game progress after lauching the first satellite keeps my interest. Larger, more distributed factories, logistics of the resources far away, territory security and defense; These are problems that start present themselves usually while working on the infinite branches of the tech tree.

cantina_fly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cantina_fly »

My most common reason to restart is I lose interest in a specific factory/map or want to try a different set of mods. Especially if I've been away from the game for a couple months.

The only games I truly gave up on were the first few games with Rampant and Natural Evolution Enemies. I ran through my entire starting iron patch without a mining outpost setup yet.

No iron = no bullets

Most games I use a Quick Start mod these days to quickly get the starter base going. I did a clean no-mod game when .17 launched and enjoyed that as well. Oddly enough, that was only the 3rd rocket I'd launched.

lordsith
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lordsith »

When in a current game, I learn something new either from a friend with who I play multi, or from a mod where I have a new option i didn't understand.

Latest example:
- I learned the "main bus" sort of base structure from my friend. I stopped my 4th spaghetti big base to make one.
- I learned that smelting have some correct lenghts. I started a new base to take it into account, because my railroad system prevented me to do so in the game I was playing.
- I went from large railway, to closer (one big pole place between each side) to a bit larger (6+- tiles between rails). => each time, a new game.
- I learnt how to correctly use "belt boxes" from a mod. => new (and current) game, for almost 7*24 hours played into as of yesterday (well, this morning after midnight).

Now I know that when I'm done watching Friends and la casa de papel (series TV I watch on my second monitor while "upgrading my current mega base" (? i don't know if it qualifies, but I decide so)), I will make at least a 1 year break from factorio, like I did last year (played +-150 hours on 0.15 and then stopped) before coming back this year when 0.17 was out.

I will continue playing with my friend each week, but it's more for the fun of playing together than for the game itself.
I have now accumulated +-900 hours on factorio.
(When I play Europa Universalis 4 - my longest played game on steam since the day steam reseted the game play time back in 2012-2013 I think -, I do the same: play several games for +-80 hours each, then stop for some months, and come back. I received the game in 2016 and have +-2700 hours on it; I received factorio in 2018 and have 900 hours.... time is not expandable ^^)

Rakshasa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rakshasa »

Set the evolution, science cost, etc at ridiculous settings on a railworld with lots of biters.

Enjoy a game that never ends.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

I normally restart once I have nuclear weapons.

I play Deathworld, sometimes Marathon Deathworld, a fair bit. So unlocking Nukes is pretty much winning the game, there's nothing left to do in terms of enhancing the players ability to exterminate the Biters (well except Artillery, but that's so impersonal).

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I wouldn't say I'm giving up (and I like my current map) but today I'll probably start fresh with the new 0.17.60 release.

wicklig
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wicklig »

Hey there!

Usually i'm very comitted to my factorys. Right now I'm playing Ribbon Mode, and it took me around 45~ish hours to find my first decent iron deposit. (you can have a look at the pic below)

Challenges like that can foce you to take some ... more unconventional measures: https://www.twitch.tv/wicklig/clip/Dark ... eater4Head

We ended up having lots of fun doing that :-D Still unsure though if we'll manage to shoot a rocket from planet ribbon.

Cheers,

wicklig
https://www.twitch.tv/wicklig
Attachments
iron ore found.jpg
iron ore found.jpg (130.33 KiB) Viewed 4521 times

pieterhulsen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pieterhulsen »

I want to make a megabase, but now that I have all the sciences including space up to 90 per minute stable I don't know how to really progress anymore.
It is all in a main bus style with basically no room to expand.
Instead of improving I would have to start a totally new (train style) base which can be fed by this main bus base.
I haven't restarted yet but I also haven't played in 2 months or so because the challenge of starting a 1 K per minute train based base basically from nothing with very little experience in this scale (almost always go main bus) is daunting.

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

leadraven wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:05 pm
I like to start over. Beginning is the most interesting part. I rarely launch rockets. Automation of Production and Utility science packs is usually my final step.
This is pretty much what I do. I like to try different mods. Sometimes I start with an early start mod with robots, or not. With Bobs or some other mod like simpleSilicon or Oceanus. I think early to mid game has the most potential for fun and challenge.

Return to “General discussion”