[17.55] Higher multiplayer lag/latency

Bugs that are actually features.
Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[17.55] Higher multiplayer lag/latency

Post by Jap2.0 »

There have been several people complaining about more lag after the .54 update. Slug on Redmew took the following videos comparing the versions:

I've also been meaning to do some tests myself, but having found his, I'm not sure if I will (it probably depends on how this report goes). I can post my log if you want, although (considering I didn't take the videos and several people are having issues) I'm not sure how relevant it will be.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [17.55] Higher multiplayer lag/latency

Post by IronCartographer »

This is a predictable result of the latency hiding being disabled while in combat which used to happen only while firing.

The effect was always there, and we simply grew accustomed to it becoming visible while firing (which felt more under our control).

This is most likely not a bug, but may be a suggestion: Latency hiding being responsive to our firing state rather than combat itself may be the more satisfying behavior for players in practice. It's jarring either way, but having it activate when pressing space bar (or C) gives the player a sense of control and ability to compensate at a predictable time.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

IronCartographer wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:08 am
This is a predictable result of the latency hiding being disabled while in combat which used to happen only while firing.

The effect was always there, and we simply grew accustomed to it becoming visible while firing (which felt more under our control).

This is most likely not a bug, but may be a suggestion: Latency hiding being responsive to our firing state rather than combat itself may be the more satisfying behavior for players in practice. It's jarring either way, but having it activate when pressing space bar (or C) gives the player a sense of control and ability to compensate at a predictable time.
Oh duh. I agree that the predictability and control is nice (especially when dodging but not shooting). I'm going to do some other tests to see what I can see because I really feel like (looking at the numbers) there was a jump in latency from 53 to 54 as well.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Indeed this is how it was intended. (latency hiding is disabled 10 seconds after giving or receiving damage)
I didn't like the character constantly teleporting as you press and release space hence why I made it this way. This also makes the beams render properly more often and also shows the character in the proper position, so you won't see your character meleed by biters 5 meters away. This ofc comes at the cost of you controls feeling super laggy for the entire duration.

It might not be as much as an improvement as I thought. It would be super easy to revert to the previous behavior of not hiding latency only when shooting, so you can discuss which one is better.

Adding combat latency hiding is a huge subject that unfortunately we will probably not tackle.

g0ph3r
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by g0ph3r »

I have to add to this discussion that I noticed immensive lags during multiplayer while building and walking without combat (and without having been in combat at all).

We have been using 0.17.4x prior to upgrading to 0.17.54 (I think), where I started to notice those immensive lags.

Again, most of the time I am building someting (e.g. walls or belts), which is lagging a lot.

-slug-
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by -slug- »

If it comes down to perceived character control vs biters hitting at a distance, i'd take getting hit at a distance. Its near impossible to dodge spit or retreat into a 1x wall opening while in battle. Removing players responsiveness is always a negative.

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

-slug- wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:33 pm
If it comes down to perceived character control vs biters hitting at a distance, i'd take getting hit at a distance. Its near impossible to dodge spit or retreat into a 1x wall opening while in battle. Removing players responsiveness is always a negative.
This say this is a very good argument for the old behaviour. Especially in combat navigation needs to be precise. If that becomes more difficult... it makes deaths more likely. The actual targeting is in my experience not so important nor that it shows the enemy eating on you exactly adjacent.

That said, I shall have to try combat in this new version more extensively other then the one tiny skirmish I was involved in.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

See also viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73158

Based on feedback, i'll most probably revert it back to the previous behavior, next week. If anyone has more feedback to add, please do.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

I don't understand :
wasn't the old behavior that you would not see yourself stepping in spit but be suddenly covered in it and damaged because you actually did,
and on the other hand when trying to go through a wall hole actually miss it and being teleported back outside again,
because your client wrongly faked what was actually going to happen ?

Then how is going back to this old behavior better than the new one that accurately shows your input lag ?
(Because teleportation/rubberbanding/sudden damage feels less jarring than input lag?)

Or is there an additional issue involved ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

g0ph3r
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by g0ph3r »

And what I don't understand: am I the only one who noticed massive lags not being in combat?

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Something I find amusing is the interaction between lag hiding and train collisions, where it looks like someone has crossed the track in time, but then...nope.

Just a random tangent thought about combat with the timeless enemy within our walls. :lol:

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Reverted it in Version: 0.17.59

It doesn't work identically to how it was before: Now it only disables latency hiding when your character is shooting(or trying to shoot) in the game state. Otherwise it's always doing latency hiding.

As far as i tested it feels pretty decent. Let me know what you think.

Return to “Not a bug”