Development and Discussion

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Saevon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Development and Discussion

Post by Saevon »

jodokus31 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:24 am
Saevon wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:20 am
Considering ingredient limits aren't really a thing anymore (and very few recipes are affected) I'd suggest removing that?
Ingredient limits got removed in vanilla for assembly machines and can be modded back. That's the only change and does not imply, that every other mod should remove limits, too. So, I would see no need to change it.
Right, thats only part of it, as mentioned very few of those buildings actually make use of that mechanic. and thus it comes very unexpectedly for some recipes.
Considering the progression is from 2 to 4 to 6 items for all of them (and 4 is already huge) you "opt-out" of this mechanic quickly at tier 2 machines... if ingredient limits are something to keep in mind, the progression would need to be slower instead (like they were in the base-game)

Since you mentioned modding it back in, it could be a settings flag? As I'd suggested, fixing the tech tree to account for this would be a decent fix as well.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Bob's mod has a setting to enable ingredient limits for assembly machines again. Generally I like the idea of ingredient limits for a better sense of progression, but its also very hard to balance. I would be sad, if it would be removed. It's fast to remove, but hard to reinvent and so likely never come back

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

State of the mod

A bit of talk to let you know what is going with the mod and myself in the background:
So first off to the time mangement,I started off with the mods when I was studying which meant I had a lot of time at hand to do stuff beside university,
when I dropped out of that and started working full time again, time I had for modding reduced drastically. Starting of the year I re-enrolled to university again to finish my degree, which everyone can imagine reduce the time I have by alot again. I can see and feel this myself currently because I'm not doing new stuff, if I have some spare time I do bugfixes and adjustments to the latest changes to the vanilla game as well as to bobs.
And the latest news is that I'm going to be a dad start of next year. Which again will reduce the time I have for modding to -9000.
I'm currently thinking about ways on how to progress in the future. Obviously I need help, if not having to give the mods to someone else to continue with, the other option would be to have it come to a close and call it done.
This has been mostly a one man project with some addition from the outside (some models yuoki provided, override functions by exasperation and some bits here and there from various other people) all the way up until now, transitioning this to be a project will be difficult.
I'm more than happy to hear suggestions or ideas on how the future might look like for angels mods.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

The probably easiest/best way is to put the stuff on github, find 1-X modders you know and trust and are willing to communicate with each other, make them collaborators on the mod portal and on github so they can update your mods when needed (and maybe ask a forum moderator to make them moderators on your subforum).

Haven't really played with your mods (yet?), but would be a shame to see them go.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Arch666Angel wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:04 pm
State of the mod

I'm currently thinking about ways on how to progress in the future. Obviously I need help, if not having to give the mods to someone else to continue with, the other option would be to have it come to a close and call it done.
This has been mostly a one man project with some addition from the outside (some models yuoki provided, override functions by exasperation and some bits here and there from various other people) all the way up until now, transitioning this to be a project will be difficult.
I'm more than happy to hear suggestions or ideas on how the future might look like for angels mods.
If nothing else I would 100% be willing to at least do bug fixing and maintenance before see Angel's mods die off.

evandy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evandy »

Since no one else has said it yet... congratulations Angel!

GrimerX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GrimerX »

evandy wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:44 pm
Since no one else has said it yet... congratulations Angel!
+1 Congratulations!

IanRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Post by IanRaven »

Congratulations on being a dad Angel :)

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Angels mods is probably my favourite overhaul so far and I hope it can be continued.
I would like to help, if possible.
Congratulations from my side, too. There may be things, which are more important than factorio :shock: ;)

Khaim
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Khaim »

Arch666Angel wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:04 pm
And the latest news is that I'm going to be a dad start of next year.
Congrats!

As for the mod(s), I think the GitHub idea is probably the best. Most of the individual mods are pretty stable. You can get other people to do all the work of keeping them up-to-date, and you just have to swing by every so often to push the latest update.
The bio-processing, on the other hand, is kind of half-finished at the moment. It seems like the art assets are done but the recipes/gameplay/balance aren't really there. It would be great if there's someone (or several someones) that you trust to take over and finish that. And similarly, I think that would be the best place to spend whatever time you have left.
Good luck!

DofD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DofD »

Congrats to becoming a dad!

ANd on the other subject, as others have mentioned make it to github. So this way you just have to check the commits done and approve and push the new update to the mod portal. Makes life wayyyyy easier for you

cactusbanana
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cactusbanana »

Congrats! You should sleep now or never... :lol:

On Angel's Bio, is it ever possible to change the SE of Puffer Refugiume? The SE is way too funny (seriously, I cannot stop laughing whenever I am close at it) that I cannot focus on thinking and building my factory. I wonder how the SE was recorded...

Keridos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Keridos »

Congrats on getting to be a dad Angel!

Also some rather small request: Could you allow voiding chemicals from bio processing somehow? I get tons of acetic acid during composting and it seems the only way to get rid of it is to turn it into plastic.

It is really nice what you added to bio processing so far. It really is fun building farms and processing of them. So far I only found one bug and that is that several recipes are somehow bugged. Like desert garden farming (the recipe which gives 5% chance of extra garden) produces 8 tokens instead of the listed 2. and processing the gardens the product numbers do not really make much sense, since they apparently are chance relations, not absolute amounts.

Everything else I played with so far works really great. And the interaction of your mods internally and with external mods is really really nice.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

cactusbanana wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:06 pm

On Angel's Bio, is it ever possible to change the SE of Puffer Refugiume? The SE is way too funny (seriously, I cannot stop laughing whenever I am close at it) that I cannot focus on thinking and building my factory. I wonder how the SE was recorded...
I basically edited the mod myself to use basic spawner sound instead the annoying farts lol.
I just extracted the zip and hardchanged the soundfile name.
Shoulda made small mod for it but i was kinda in rush.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Termak wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:09 am
cactusbanana wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:06 pm

I basically edited the mod myself to use basic spawner sound instead the annoying farts lol.
I just extracted the zip and hardchanged the soundfile name.
Shoulda made small mod for it but i was kinda in rush.
Just you wait a bit. Soon the SE of Puffer Refugiume will be a baby crying...Damn why do I give Angel ideas?

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:51 am
Just you wait a bit. Soon the SE of Puffer Refugiume will be a baby crying...Damn why do I give Angel ideas?
You did see that Angel said he doesn't have the time for the mod anymore, being a new dad and all that? I don't think it's going to get any development anytime soon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

ukezi wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:20 pm
mrvn wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:51 am
You did see that Angel said he doesn't have the time for the mod anymore, being a new dad and all that? I don't think it's going to get any development anytime soon.
I did see that he's becoming a father. So yes I did see that. Any sound recoding he makes in the near future will probably be interrupted by his baby crying. So you will get that as SE.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

I got the joke mrvn.

It's also something the AVGN also has to contend with during his game recordings which is why there can be an awkward cut during some videos of his where he has to stop gaming to check on the little ones. It's likely why he records things at a friends house whenever possible.

alercah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by alercah »

Congrats! I agree with putting it up on GitHub as there's a lot of small bugfixes that could be easily done by others but currently we can't even submit pull requests. From there, having a trusted other modder or three to manage the code seems like a good plan.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

alercah wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:05 pm
Congrats! I agree with putting it up on GitHub as there's a lot of small bugfixes that could be easily done by others but currently we can't even submit pull requests. From there, having a trusted other modder or three to manage the code seems like a good plan.
You ... could just unzip it, and send a patch? I mean, if you can master github I'm pretty sure traditional diff/patch isn't gonna be that much of a stretch. :)

Return to “Angels Mods”