Inventory Sort (sidetracked by even splitting of items)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Inventory Sort (sidetracked by even splitting of items)

Post by TheSAguy »

There is probably something like this that I just don't know how to use...

I'd like an Inventory Sort button.
I have what I like to call a "Storage" bin, that I throw everything in that I don't currently need, but will probably in the future.
But it's a mess and I don't know of a easy way to sort the stuff in there.

Also, the players inventory. I sometimes have designated "reserved" slots for player items, but they don't get the first. (that should be fixed) and then if you sort the inventory, it should sort those items into the reserved slots.

See below:

Thanks.
Last edited by ssilk on Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject accordingly to discussion

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Inventory Sort

Post by eradicator »

I've never seen filtered slots not get the item first. Are you sure this happens in the latest version and you're not putting it there yourself?
The player inventory can be sorted by setting options→interface→always keep player's main inventory sorted. (also see below)
Any arbitrary inventory (chest, warehouse, ...) can be easily and comfortably be sorted by calling sort_and_merge() on the corresponding inventory *cough**cough*. OK, yea...a button for that would be nice. A checkbox on logistic chests to auto-sort when the player opens them would be even nicer.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

eradicator wrote:I've never seen filtered slots not get the item first. Are you sure this happens in the latest version and you're not putting it there yourself?
The player inventory can be sorted by setting options→interface→always keep player's main inventory sorted. (also see below)
Any arbitrary inventory (chest, warehouse, ...) can be easily and comfortably be sorted by calling sort_and_merge() on the corresponding inventory *cough**cough*. OK, yea...a button for that would be nice. A checkbox on logistic chests to auto-sort when the player opens them would be even nicer.
I've had several instances of items not going into the designated stuff. They have all been modded items and not vanilla, so that might have something to do with it.
Like your ideas!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

There is an inventory auto-sort that you can turn on in the options somewhere.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

TheSAguy wrote:I've had several instances of items not going into the designated stuff. They have all been modded items and not vanilla, so that might have something to do with it.
Like your ideas!
I never play with auto-sort off, so that's much more likely to be the reason it works for me but not for you.

EditorRUS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EditorRUS »

There is a terrific mod for this already.
Manual Inventory Sort

I do agree this should be a part of vanilla game.
bobingabout wrote:There is an inventory auto-sort that you can turn on in the options somewhere.
Autosorting is terrible when you want to manually distribute things between chests and such. There is Even Distribution for that, but if you don't have, well, you're kind of screwed.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Just split it in the chest.
I also have a Patreon.

EditorRUS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EditorRUS »

bobingabout wrote:Just split it in the chest.
How would that solve anything?

I mean, say you have 8 furnaces to fill. You split a stack of iron ore in half. Each half again. And again.
And then you can simply Ctrl-Click through each furnace and be done with it.

You cannot do this with autosort turned on because reasons.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

EditorRUS wrote:

I mean, say you have 8 furnaces to fill. You split a stack of iron ore in half. Each half again. And again.

That stage of the game lasts maybe 30 minutes and then you always want "fill them all 100%" or you leave the inserters to handle it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

EditorRUS wrote:

okay, say I have 2 stacks and I want to fill 8 furnaces... first you split a stack to pick up half (that's a quater) then split the stack into the inbox of the furnace, that's an 8th, put the remaining hand full in the second, also an 8th. then put split the remaining half a stack for the next 2, then so the same with your remaining stack for the final 4. A quater stack of ore in each furnace.

honestly, it's not that big of a deal, you just get used to it.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobingabout wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 am
EditorRUS wrote:

okay, say I have 2 stacks and I want to fill 8 furnaces... first you split a stack to pick up half (that's a quater) then split the stack into the inbox of the furnace, that's an 8th, put the remaining hand full in the second, also an 8th. then put split the remaining half a stack for the next 2, then so the same with your remaining stack for the final 4. A quater stack of ore in each furnace.

When was the last time you did that?

When you put the first bit into the first furnace (one 8th) the content of your hand gets refilled to a full stack. So now you have one stack in the hand and 7/8th of a stack in your inventory. You can put it back and start again for the next 4 furnaces because you always have a full stack to split. But for the 6th furnace you only have 7/8th of a stack and that you can't split to get 1/8th into the furnace.

For that you need a chest so you can split the last stack into at least 1/4th. After that you need a chest (2 with auto-sort) to hold
partial stacks.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:29 am
bobingabout wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 am
EditorRUS wrote:

When was the last time you did that?

When you put the first bit into the first furnace (one 8th) the content of your hand gets refilled to a full stack. So now you have one stack in the hand and 7/8th of a stack in your inventory. You can put it back and start again for the next 4 furnaces because you always have a full stack to split. But for the 6th furnace you only have 7/8th of a stack and that you can't split to get 1/8th into the furnace.

For that you need a chest so you can split the last stack into at least 1/4th. After that you need a chest (2 with auto-sort) to hold
partial stacks.
I actually did it about a month ago, playing through a new game with some friends. it worked fine for me.

split it in half, place the full half in the first furnace, right click to split it, it now holds a quater, split that between the next to (CTRL+ Right on the 2nd, CTRL+Left on the 3rd), go back to the first and right click to take out half the stack and put it in the 4th. each of those now hold an 8th. split the half stack in your inventory, put half of it in the 5th, the rest in the 6th, etc... however, if you're holding a half stack, at this point you can just CTRL and right click on the 5th, CTRL and left click on the 6th, at this point the remaining quater stack in your inventory appears in your hand, so you then repeat for 7th and 8th
I also have a Patreon.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I understand this is quite off topic regarding OP, but I feel this could be of some use.

I have found a way to handfeed during burner era without splitting : With the "drop item" key, holding coal in my hand, I can drop 1 fuel right into the burner mining drill/furnace/whatever. And if I have a line of them, I can just keep "drop item" pressed, and go forth and back on the line of structures, and at every trip, every machine gets one coal.

It's not an even split, but it's a really efficient way to get things done.

Also works with the initial turret handfeed, before delivery is automated. I build my turrets, and then mouse over each turret with my ammo clips in my hand, type 5 times the "drop" key over each turret, and that's it.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”