Should standing next to an active reactor harm player health?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Should standing next to an active reactor harm player health?

Post by SkiCarver »

I was thinking that it would be a nice touch if standing next to a working nuclear centrifuge or reactor would cause harm to the player, simulating nuclear radiation.

Perhaps the idea could be extended to standing next to a working furnace.

This would be mild harm, but enough to cause the player to be careful around radioactive or hot machines.

Thoughts?
Attachments
fff1.png
fff1.png (1.7 MiB) Viewed 6389 times

dziki_punk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Should standing next to an active reactor harm player health?

Post by dziki_punk »

That is fine idea it could be even more realistic if they make mechanics like caring around large amounts of Uranium would cause radiation damage.
There is mod that includes radiation damage it’s named “realistic nuclear power”

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

dziki_punk wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:48 am
That is fine idea it could be even more realistic if they make mechanics like carrying around large amounts of Uranium would cause radiation damage.
There is mod that includes radiation damage it’s named “realistic nuclear power”
agreed. Little touches to give depth to the game! :-)

dziki_punk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dziki_punk »

Just found a mod for that
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/RadioactiveDamage

Probably I would install both and play Chernobyl like scenario
Hope they won’t collide with each other.

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

I agree with the OP.

It should be realistic like in real life. A few weeks ago I drove by a nuclear power plant, and damn, that radiation really hurts. I am really glad that I don't have to work there.

For safety reasons reasons you can still check out what's going on within the nuclear reactor because they have windows, like in real life, so you can see from afar if something is wrong. :geek:

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

DerGraue wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:59 am
It should be realistic like in real life. A few weeks ago I drove by a nuclear power plant, and damn, that radiation really hurts. I am really glad that I don't have to work there.
:mrgreen:

Anyone ever play those Minecraft mods where carrying a lava bucket hurts you? Seriously boring. A deluge of minor inconveniences does not make an interesting game.

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

DerGraue wrote:
I agree with the OP.

For safety reasons reasons you can still check out what's going on within the nuclear reactor because they have windows, like in real life, so you can see from afar if something is wrong. :geek:
wow, i didnt realize there were any nuclear plants where you could drive within feet of the reactor pressure vessel or centrifuges. I always thought the reactor pressure vessels were within large concrete structures in remote locations in order to keep the dangerous radiation away from the public. Can you please point to which nuclear plat lets you get close enough to a working reactor pressure vessel that you can manually insert the nuclear fuel?

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

This kind of details are quite annoying if they are alone. It would not change gaming, but force just make more work and suffer delays. They would work if there was a proper model of health in the game and staying alive would be a essential part of the game. You should have proper food, water, rest, physical conditions etc. and problems would damage your health, decrease performance and lead eventually to incapacitation and death. I am not sure if I would be a fan of such a game. I prefer to build technical constructions.

It would not be very entertaining to get cancer after 200 hours of gaming and lose the megabase because you have got radiation or carcinogenic chemical 160 hour before.

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

Hannu wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:43 pm
This kind of details are quite annoying if they are alone. It would not change gaming, but force just make more work and suffer delays. They would work if there was a proper model of health in the game and staying alive would be a essential part of the game. You should have proper food, water, rest, physical conditions etc. and problems would damage your health, decrease performance and lead eventually to incapacitation and death. I am not sure if I would be a fan of such a game. I prefer to build technical constructions.

It would not be very entertaining to get cancer after 200 hours of gaming and lose the megabase because you have got radiation or carcinogenic chemical 160 hour before.
I agree that delayed illnesses would be a negative for the game, i was thinking more that it may be another 'complication' to the game if there was a mild health effect (like mild spitter goo) when close to high heat or radiation. If we have a world where standing in front of a train kills, why not have other thing affect health?

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

SkiCarver wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:02 pm
wow, i didnt realize there were any nuclear plants where you could drive within feet of the reactor pressure vessel or centrifuges. I always thought the reactor pressure vessels were within large concrete structures in remote locations in order to keep the dangerous radiation away from the public. Can you please point to which nuclear plat lets you get close enough to a working reactor pressure vessel that you can manually insert the nuclear fuel?
aww, now don't be salty :cry:

by the way, the recipe for nuclear reactor and centrifuge both require loads of concrete and steel, so maybe that is already enough to prevent harm from our character.

But your real question was: could this be fun? And I personally don't think that it would be. It would just be a nuisance, as in "Oh, I am too close to a reactor, well, then I just walk a few meters away."

Meggal_Bozale
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Meggal_Bozale »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:39 am
DerGraue wrote:
:mrgreen:

Anyone ever play those Minecraft mods where carrying a lava bucket hurts you? Seriously boring. A deluge of minor inconveniences does not make an interesting game.
Dirt floats, iron golems take no fall damage, you can teleport to a dimension with a dragon, endermen teleport, and there are walking kamikazes.
You literally use BOOKS to give TOOLS POWERS. The game is not realistic, Factorio tries to be a lot more. Honestly, maybe not instant damage or negated with armor would be okay, but a heat and radioactive damage would be a nice touch.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Meggal_Bozale wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:10 pm
The game is not realistic, Factorio tries to be a lot more.
Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the noise of the 5000 oil refineries I had in my back pocket, and the whirring of the magic perpetual motion conveyor belts that run on pixie dust and happy thoughts.

I can't think of anything more tedious than having to craft and switch to special armour to stand next to a building or handle specific items. Except the suggestion that such a thing is "more realistic". People are free to mod such things into the game if they want. But we all know that it's never going to be put into the base game at this late stage, and that's a good thing.

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:37 pm
Meggal_Bozale wrote:
Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the noise of the 5000 oil refineries I had in my back pocket, and the whirring of the magic perpetual motion conveyor belts that run on pixie dust and happy thoughts.

I can't think of anything more tedious than having to craft and switch to special armour to stand next to a building or handle specific items. Except the suggestion that such a thing is "more realistic". People are free to mod such things into the game if they want. But we all know that it's never going to be put into the base game at this late stage, and that's a good thing.
I cant think of anything more tedious that having to constantly look out for a train travelling at warp speed around corners, pulling g-forces that would turn you into soup ..... yet the game has collision detection between the player and trains.

Taking a health hit due to environmental hazards is already in the game, adding hot furnaces and radiation giving a small health hit would not be the end of the world ... and would add some additional need to be careful.

Meggal_Bozale
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Meggal_Bozale »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:37 pm
Meggal_Bozale wrote:

- Tardis inventory is crutial
- Powered belts is a mod and perpetual motion isn't pixie dust.
- I don't mean switching to a different armor than already listed, just having current armors with resistances.
- "We AlL kNoW tHaT iT's nEvEr GoInG tO bE pUt InTo ThE bAsE gAmE aT tHiS lAtE sTaGe" https://mods.factorio.com/mod/upgrade-planner

Game is not very close to release, it may be a year or more in development AFAIK. devs can do wonders in the meanwhile!

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Meggal_Bozale wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:46 pm
- I don't mean switching to a different armor than already listed, just having current armors with resistances.
Yawwwwwn.

How "realistic".

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

SkiCarver wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:44 pm
adding hot furnaces and radiation giving a small health hit would not be the end of the world ... and would add some additional need to be careful.
If, by a billion to once chance, this ever makes it into the main game, I'm personally modding it straight back out again. We need this like we need farming, food and five tiers of personal sewage disposal.

Meggal_Bozale
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Meggal_Bozale »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:46 pm
SkiCarver wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:44 pm
adding hot furnaces and radiation giving a small health hit would not be the end of the world ... and would add some additional need to be careful.
If, by a billion to once chance, this ever makes it into the main game, I'm personally modding it straight back out again. We need this like we need farming, food and five tiers of personal sewage disposal.
I'm not at all saying this is going to make it, and I don't care if you mod it out. That's fine. This does NOT, at ALL compare to needing food. Radiation and heat is something very common that players should have to deal with, and it's not like it would affect you later on at all. All it would do IMO is give you a teensy bit of damage if you stand directly next to it or walk directly past it without some heavy/power armor or smth

FrodoOf9Fingers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers »

Not sure about the reactor, it is incased, kinda like one on a nuclear submarine (the inner reator room is three stories) larger subs get up to 500mw, so id say our reactors are large for the power they make. Perhaps because it is an entire room on the inside, like a submarine.

If we wanted this, i would be more interested in the atomic bomb having an lasting damage effect...

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Pick up a Geiger counter and stand next to a nuclear power plant and next to a coal power plant. 3 guesses where the Geiger counter will go of more and the first 2 don't count. Coal is radioactive and they don't have the strict radiation guidelines a nuclear facility has.

So the reactor radiating the player is pretty unrealistic. The centrifuges on the other hand look more like a hazzard. But what should really get you is the uranium being transported on open belts or in your pocket. But the inventory is so unrealistic we might as well assume the pocket is lead lined. Hell, the whole planet might be bathed in radiation, that's why we are running around in that radiation suit with air filtering mask after all, right?

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

oh I thought about that too, but no, that would be a waste of the devs time working on something as trivial as that. I also thought about the potential deleterious effects from Rotting biter corpses and Pollution... but thought better of it.

Return to “General discussion”