Remove health bar status for rocks

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JaJe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by JaJe »

CODE: SELECT ALL
TL;DR

What ?
It might be quite useless this request but I feel that it needs to be tweaked because everytime I hit a rock or throw a grenade nearby I'll have a permanent rock health bar like on this screenshot:

My suggestion is to remove health bar for all rocks and instead replace it with different textures. So if you hit a big rock, it get smaller every time you hit again until you gain rocks and coal resources from it. What do you think?

Why ?
Little details matters, and this one needs a fix.

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Remove health bar status for rocks

Post by Xeorm »

Why? They have health, same as trees. You can always kill them or remove them with bots.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Very good suggestion,i support it.

Health bars for trees and rocks make this great game ugly at this point.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

As usual for me, I am on both sides of the fence for this one.
When I start a new game, and I am clearing territory using my poor little car, I want to see the health bars for rocks. Later on I don't care, and I agree that the health bars for areas of damaged trees are a distraction (I am not going to be cleaning these up) and an eyesore.
So I would like options! Base option: to see damage to trees and rocks, or not (and maybe separate options for each I don't care). I personally would have it turned on (to see the damage bars) at the beginning of the game, and later on I would turn it off.
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

you see at your toolbar the "alt" icon? when this is turned on you will see healthbars

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

dog80 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:53 pm
you see at your toolbar the "alt" icon? when this is turned on you will see healthbars
That's not very helpful if you're like me and turn off ALT-view only accidentally. :-) I find seeing the health bar on slightly damaged rocks so disturbing that I usually feel inclined to remove those rocks. As I'm a slow player without bots yet, manual rock removal is quite a nuisance!
JaJe wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:04 pm
My suggestion is to remove health bar for all rocks and instead replace it with different textures. So if you hit a big rock, it get smaller every time you hit again until you gain rocks and coal resources from it.
Yes, that's something I can identify with! You could see that a rock has taken damage, but it would feel more natural than that health bar overlay we've now. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

BaggyK
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BaggyK »

How about, rather than either always showing or not showing the health bars, why not only show the health bar if the rock has been damaged recently?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I like the idea into transforming the health bar for rocks (and trees for that matter) into different textures. The rock could get smaller, break apart, look more weathered or have cracks. Trees could loose branches, leaves can turn brown. Lots of things to show the object is hurt in subtle ways without it being an eyesore.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This is so Minecraft :) (not saying it's a bad thing though).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SuicideJunkie »

It might just be a mod I'm using, but don't living trees slowly regenerate health so the bar goes away over time?

I do end up having to clear the rocks away, but there are a lot fewer of them.

It would probably also be more realistic if the rocks had some armor so that low speed collisions don't cause damage and make the healthbar appear.

I'm unsure how much art work it would take, but blending the health and mining time left, and showing it as cracks and chips whether you hit it with a car or a pick would be nifty.

I suppose there aren't so many damaged rocks around that it would get samey if there were just one sequence, but some procedural placement of the damage marks could be good.
Perhaps mark out where the damage sprites are allowed to be so it can't look dumb, and then pick the pseudorandom mark placement based on world coords and damage level.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Why the rock doesn't loose his health while mining?

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

SuicideJunkie wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:06 pm
It might just be a mod I'm using, but don't living trees slowly regenerate health so the bar goes away over time?
No, that is vanilla. And I have a mod that lets you rapidly repair both trees and rocks, in the case of the latter pollution and fire damage as well as simple health.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”