Why i will never play 0.17

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Why i will never play 0.17

Post by dog80 »

well close this topic please op just wanted to share with us that he is not going to play 017 what is great and its his choice so no further discussion required

CLOSED

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

sathill wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:51 pm
For me quickbar its best change in 17 overall.
One biggest pro its that player can see total number of items. Like 432 yellow belts or so. In old quickbar max was one stack. Big pro for that change.
Its better design for sure no doubt about that. There are other reasons also. Like locking some items in old quickbar lock that slot and if player wish to take absurd ammount of materials(landfill) for lets say outpost building it was either locked slots or complete messing with it. No more.
Overall 17 its big plus. For me only con its that i lose some fps (not ups) for strange reasons. After game restart its again 60 fps in the same spot.
totally agree

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

this is a bait title for this mod guy to get more attention to his mods which is great but lets be honest tower shields sound fun but a wall would have fixed your problems as well, replacing existing features with new modded features - not a good idea - idk implement something innovative and you won't feel so much rant i guess

CheeseMcBurger
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CheeseMcBurger »

ownlyme wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:25 pm
0.17 cons:
- the new quickbar is utterly unusable, i'd rather have something i just crafted added to my quickbar than 100 hotkeys that i don't even need because there's a pipette tool
- almost every graphic they touched has gotten worse:
-- enemies look sterile
-- laser tower projectiles don't glow at night anymore
-- belts overlap other belts they are feeding (ruining the 3d effect)
-- gamma setting has been changed, making everything brighter than before
- removed modding features:
-- scalable property of gui elements
-- ability to use progress bars as pixels (they now have minimum dimensions)
- new science back recipes broke my old factories
- the removal of mining tools ruined the survival game feeling of the game
- when they renamed the internal, not to the player visible, ids of the science packs it felt like they just said "fu" to all modders.

0.17 pros:
- research queue
- better fluid dynamics (no need to put a pump after each underground pipe anymore)
- ability to change gui sprites after their creation
- new animation prototype, with ability to procedurally rotate it
I preferred when new crafted tools were added to the quick bar and I hope this feature will return.

I love the new graphics. I noticed the belt overlapping only because you mentioned it. Could be improved, but I don't care much about it in the current state. (Does not make my nights sleepless).

Thank god they removed the mining tools. That was just tedious.

The renaming of the science packs does not sound like something that a quick search&replace could fix?

mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mergele »

I must say I love the new quickbar.
I define once my refinery sbuilding quickbar, my defense building quickbar, m assembler building quickbar, my rail building quickbar etc. and then I got them and no longer have to constantly fiddle around with my quickbar setup whenever I change what I am doing and constantly bring up the inventory because something just didn't find the space or I quickly need to plop done 3 assemblers while mainly working on the refinery.

LordWampus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by LordWampus »

On the subject of sterile gfx:
I'm pretty sure 99% of Factorio players addicts would happily play if it was ASCII gfx...

For me the big win of .17 is being able to set up the quick bar filters early on.

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

I wholeheartedly disagree. I think 0.17 is awesome and the toolbar is the best. Give it a try.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

I recommend turning on the optional 3rd and 4th new quickbars. (options, settings, interface ) (I personally don't rotate it from there; 4 is enough bars)

You can directly select items from the top quickbar directly with 1-0, and from the second one with keys you choose (e.g. control1-0 ?), plus rotate.
You can put common blueprints on it as well.

I think one of the coolest features is if you have 0 of an item, then you automatically lay ghosts for your robot network to fulfill (and you wan walk away while they do so).

(Extensive pinned Quickbar tutorial with pictures:)
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=65929

You can download mods to import/export your toolbar config so you will have it ready in the next game so the effort you put in can be preserved and shared! (see link)
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

Itemfinder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Itemfinder »

I'd like to try 4 active quickbars with shift+scroll up/down set to rotate.. pressing X to cycle one direction does not appeal to me.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

you could easily mod the shift-scroll ... maybe you'd also need an ahk script but its still moddable.
The issue with the new quickbar is that you can't lock an item into place anymore - so you can't simply make a mod to put crafted items into the quickbar and remove them when they are used up.. because you don't know which items the user has put into the quickbar on purpose.
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

mocore
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mocore »

ownlyme wrote:
0.17 cons:
I personally love the overlapping belts

TRUEpicness
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TRUEpicness »

mocore wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:41 am
ownlyme wrote:
0.17 cons:
Same here. It looks like it the belts drops items on to the next belt like a conveyor with, say, rocks on it. Therefore it gives off a proper factory like feeling.
1 more YouTube vid before bed *starts 24hr long vid*

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

TRUEpicness wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:28 am
mocore wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:41 am
ownlyme wrote:
0.17 cons:
Same here. It looks like it the belts drops items on to the next belt like a conveyor with, say, rocks on it. Therefore it gives off a proper factory like feeling.
But then why can't a belt drop items into a chest or even assembler?

I would love some graphics for the loader that make it look like the belt is going up a ramp and drops into stuff.

Ormy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ormy »

I only started playing at 0.17.3, I have about 500 hours in factorio so far.

I don't use the quickbar at all, gave it a go but couldn't get used to it. Opening inventory or using pipette tool every time works just fine for me.

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

GlassDeviant wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:44 pm
ownlyme wrote:
0.17 pros:
- better fluid dynamics (no need to put a pump after each underground pipe anymore)
You never needed to put a pump after each underground pipe.

The new fluid dynamics are a bigger problem than solution.
The fluid dynamics have not changed at all yet, the new version is still waiting for completion. The fluid mixing prevention is just a construction check (although a complicated one) which is independent on the fluid mechanics.

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:55 pm
GlassDeviant wrote:
It is a pain in the rear to click it without scrolling accidentally up or down.
while i agree with you on the fluid stuff ( i like your response to your own thread, especially the waterfall analogy), i really have to ask:
is your mouse 10 years old, or did it come with a completed sticker bonus card from your local coffee shop? :P
It was probably a microsoft mouse, meaning it cost $100 and is worse than the one from the coffee shop :lol:

Itemfinder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Itemfinder »

ownlyme wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:45 pm
you could easily mod the shift-scroll ... maybe you'd also need an ahk script but its still moddable.
The issue with the new quickbar is that you can't lock an item into place anymore - so you can't simply make a mod to put crafted items into the quickbar and remove them when they are used up.. because you don't know which items the user has put into the quickbar on purpose.
How can I cycle the quickbars up, instead of down?

I'd rather have shift+scroll set to player zoom, and scroll cycle along the selected quickbar.. ctrl+scroll set to move up or down quickbars, with 3 quickbars active at all times, able to be rearranged, but always in order from 1 to 0.. I'm imagining it now in 3d, like a series of Mac docks rolling around a virtual drum, the middle row of 3 "centered" and active.. 2d is fine though haha.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

Itemfinder wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:59 am
ownlyme wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:45 pm
How can I cycle the quickbars up, instead of down?

I'd rather have shift+scroll set to player zoom, and scroll cycle along the selected quickbar.. ctrl+scroll set to move up or down quickbars, with 3 quickbars active at all times, able to be rearranged, but always in order from 1 to 0.. I'm imagining it now in 3d, like a series of Mac docks rolling around a virtual drum, the middle row of 3 "centered" and active.. 2d is fine though haha.
There are keybindings (under inventory) for selecting next/previous quick bar
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

Itemfinder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Itemfinder »

Yes. The command I'm referring to is Rotate active quickbar, default key X. When 3 or 4 quickbars are simultaneously active, cycling is down only. There isn't a command option for cycle up/reverse. The quickbar is already a good tool. It could be better.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:55 pm
GlassDeviant wrote:
It is a pain in the rear to click it without scrolling accidentally up or down.
is your mouse 10 years old, or did it come with a completed sticker bonus card from your local coffee shop? :P
While the rest of this thread is too dated to have replied to otherwise, I do have to take exception to your strawmanning. I happen to have several mice and they are all top quality hardware, from the Logitech MX Ergo to the Madcatz R.A.T. 6+ to the Thermaltake Iris. Your comment is in very poor form.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

Return to “General discussion”