I’m starting a new youtube show and I need your help!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

I’m starting a new youtube show and I need your help!

Post by gepwin »

Well, more specifically I need your save files.

The basic idea for this series is to show off what the community is doing. In each episode I will give a tour of a community submitted factory. I will talk about the things I find interesting or well done, I will also try to point out things that I, and by extension others, could learn from the base design. I hope that this series will tun into a fun chance to show off your creations and for everyone to be able to see people’s creations in action.

So if you want to be a part of it, take the save file for your favorite, or even least favorite, factory and send it to gepwin@argumentsofnothing.com Please include your name and any hints you have about your name’s pronunciation so I can properly credit the base designer. Also, if you like, you can write a brief description of any part or aspect of your base you think is most interesting.

Submitted bases can be from any stage of the game and any skill level. The only thing I ask is, for the moment, only bases using the vanilla game, so no mods.

Thank you, and I look forward to seeing what everyone has created. :)

If you want to see the other sorts of videos I do and the channel this show will be on, you can take a look at https://www.youtube.com/gepwin

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: I’m starting a new youtube show and I need your help!

Post by -root »

Sounds oddly familiar.

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nirahiel »

I might send you my saves files at some point :)

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Me making a worthwhile factory (in my Eyes) and will send it to you :)

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

-root wrote:Sounds oddly familiar.
I took a look around and couldn't fined anyone doing something like this for Factorio, though similar things for other games. I definitely don't want to be ripping anyone off, so if some one has dun this I hope I can be different enough to keep things interesting :)

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:Me making a worthwhile factory (in my Eyes) and will send it to you :)
Nirahiel wrote:I might send you my saves files at some point :)
That's great :) I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. Thanks guys.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

gepwin wrote:
I took a look around and couldn't fined anyone doing something like this for Factorio, though similar things for other games. I definitely don't want to be ripping anyone off, so if some one has dun this I hope I can be different enough to keep things interesting :)
Playlist

So long as you're not doing the exact same thing as me, I don't mind.

PharAway
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PharAway »

Dang you guys that is pretty awesome. I'll have to keep an eye out on these.

Also, my twitter handle is @PharAway05

Check us out on face book at Phar Away Gaming

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

-root wrote:
gepwin wrote:
Playlist

So long as you're not doing the exact same thing as me, I don't mind.
Well I certainly don't claim to be good enough to fix anything :)

I do wish I had seen your show earlier though, I like it and I could have learned something.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Do you want to see good saves, or just all?

If I send you a save, I will prrob just send yiu my very first save that I stopped playing to start over. Its like 14 hours of learning lol.

And what about saves with mods?
All my new games I play with resource monitor mod, floors, timedisplay and some other vanila friendly mods.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

undeadnightorc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by undeadnightorc »

Sounds interesting, expect my email :D

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:Do you want to see good saves, or just all?

If I send you a save, I will prrob just send yiu my very first save that I stopped playing to start over. Its like 14 hours of learning lol.

And what about saves with mods?
All my new games I play with resource monitor mod, floors, timedisplay and some other vanila friendly mods.

Any save that you want to send, whether or not you think it's "good" :) My intention is to see what seems interesting and what we all can learn from people's bases.

As for mods, at the moment I do not want to have to install every mod there is, so it is just simpler to keep my game vanilla. I admit I am not a mod expert, so basically if the save can run in vanilla then you can send it along :)

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

gepwin wrote:I admit I am not a mod expert, so basically if the save can run in vanilla then you can send it along :)
Should look at McLauncher then :)

But i strolled through my first save ever for a minute, man was i a noob! it took me 14 and a half hours to do THAT?
Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/143 ... /Game1.zip

When i started this, i just ran around for 5 minutes doing nothing.
I stopped playing this save to restart, with more organization. And a bigger assembly line!

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:
Should look at McLauncher then :)
Just looked at your McLauncher, gonna try it out and hopefully can do more with mods.
Also thanks for the save file, I'm going to have some episodes of this out soon :)

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

gepwin wrote:Just looked at your McLauncher, gonna try it out and hopefully can do more with mods.
Also thanks for the save file, I'm going to have some episodes of this out soon :)
Installing mods is easy as pie, really. Simply copy them into the mod folder and you're set up (a link to that is in your Factorio folder).

I also got a map for you: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/113 ... actory.zip

It used Resource Monitor (that is gone now I think), and Treefarm Mod. Resource Monitor is not important at all, and the map works without Treefarm Mod for a while (at least a few hours - it's dependant on the coal that is produced by burning wood, but the chests are filled to the brim with coal). So there should be no problem if you don't have Treefarm installed. There is just a small part that looks a bit "strange" without the Treefarm buildings.

The factory is close to 70h old. I rebuilt big parts of it, so it may seem like there wasn't THAT much done so far. My target was to build a factory that can handle every task and serves as center for really big production (I also tried some new concepts I didn't do before). I was setting up big outposts in the desert for mass production of circuits and modules, but I started a new factory at that point. If you leave the factory running for a bit until the set numbers are reached, production comes to a complete halt and the factory goes into standby mode - only some power (provided by solar) and some solid fuel for the trains is used.

Anyway, here's what may interest you: I have some compact designs for all things related to belts and inserters, a nice design for my circuit production, some big solar panel and accumulator farms including a solar circuit (right at the steam engines in the north) and a very overly complicated delivery system for my outposts that's not really genius, but working fine for now :) Maybe first take a look for yourself before diving in in a video. The green wire connects the outposts to the main base and tells it what to deliver there. Also, I experimented a bit with wall design (only visual, no real practical use).

Btw, the factory was built in 0.9.8. I don't know if there are any problems in the new version, but for now, everything seems to work fine. I just started it for a moment though, so I have no idea if all is good and running for longer times.

It would be a pleasure to see you taking a look around :) If any of you wanna give some feedback, go ahead!

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zlosynus »

If you want something big, you can try my green factory (very low pollution):
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=5529

It uses only three very simple mods which do not change game significantly, just add some items to tune look of your factory: roadworks, floors, and advanceillumination.

P.S.: In your video, a lot of things you were mentioning were not done because it was speed run. In speed run, you do not want to invest in solar power, because it takes too long. And if you have a really big factory, it is actually much better to have several smelting areas from different sides.

dexecuter18
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dexecuter18 »

This is one of my first "Successful" Factories, If anything stands out its my defense system I built, not even a big Biter has been able to breach the defenses.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8p8md54uriow56/New.zip?dl=0

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

GewaltSam, zlosynus and dexecuter18. Thank you so much for your submissions. I will get to recording ASAP, I have gotten a lot more submissions than I expected so I can't say exactly when anyone stuff will be up, but I will be shore to post it on the main base tour thread when they are. I'm looking forward to seeing what you all have sent. :)

(Sorry for the late response, I have not gotten a chance to check the forums recently)

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Thanks for the video gepwin :)

lets begin my response!
OBAMA MCLAMA was a troll name that stuck when i met a bunch of really good friends who got to know me as that name ;)
Not scottish.
I was laughing a pretty good amount throughout the entire video because of the manual work.
I stopped my 1st save because of how much manual work it was.
My 2nd save is completely automatic, But there is still the efficiency situations going on in there. (how much machines making xx for xx)
I made use of logistic robots!
that was 100% default settings.
I ended up experimenting with lots of things on that save ;) And there were lots of upgrading which left random belts on the factory haha.

Edit: i think i put this in the wrong thread, i just noticed the other one in show your creations.

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

Thanks, I'm so glad you liked the tour. Since I'm just starting these out, I am worried I won't do peoples' creations justice in the videos.
Even as a troll name, I personally love Obama McLama, definitely an original moniker, and a lot of fun to say. :)
OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:i think i put this in the wrong thread, i just noticed the other one in show your creations.
Don't worry about the threads, I try to keep an eye on both. though all future videos will be on the show your creation thread.

Return to “General discussion”