[posila] [0.17.48] Window capture in OBS not working (dxgi-presentation-model)

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[posila] [0.17.48] Window capture in OBS not working (dxgi-presentation-model)

Post by AntiElitz »

Hi,

The window capture in OBS 23.1.0 gives me a black result since one of the recent patches (was still fine as of 10 days ago).
The game capture is still working though.
Bilka gave me the hint to change the config to "dxgi-presentation-model=copy" which fixed the problem so it must be related to this.

Intel i9 9900k - GSkill Trident Z 16GB, 3600MHz, CL15 - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro - Radeon rx vega 56

config with fix
logfile

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [posila] [0.17.48] Window capture in OBS not working (dxgi-presentation-model)

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
I installed OBS (first time I am using OBS) and was able to record the game without any issues. How is your source configured?

EDIT: My first try was with Game Capture, but I can see Window Capture does indeed result in black screen being captured instead. I suppose that makes sense. The flip presentation model allows Desktop window manager to show the game on screen directly, without drawing it onto the window, which should have performance benefits and is one of the reasons why I made it default mode (other reason(s) were various glitches and framerate issues people were reporting with the old presentation model).
Anyhow, was it not working with Game Capture for you? If you are using Window Capture source, is there some benefit of it over Game Capture?

EDIT2: I read your post again and you already said Game Capture works; it's even in the title that "Window Capture" is the one that doesn't work. Before I tried OBS, I interpreted those sentences in generic meaning.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [posila] [0.17.48] Window capture in OBS not working (dxgi-presentation-model)

Post by Bilka »

So I made a post, saying I can recreate it. But as it turns out, it is always black in "window capture" for me, doesn't matter what dxgi-presentation-model I use.

I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

posila wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:42 pm
Anyhow, was it not working with Game Capture for you? If you are using Window Capture source, is there some benefit of it over Game Capture?
He is using both, one to record, one to stream, each with its own OBS instance. It is not possible to use game capture twice on the same system, so one instance has to use window capture.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Bilka wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:59 pm
posila wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:42 pm
He is using both, one to record, one to stream, each with its own OBS instance. It is not possible to use game capture twice on the same system, so one instance has to use window capture.
What's the difference in overlays between the stream and recording? If it's the same, you can both stream and record from one instance of OBS, and quick looking at his streams and recordings I'm not seeing any differences.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

peet1993
Inserter
Inserter

Post by peet1993 »

Jap2.0 wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 pm
What's the difference in overlays between the stream and recording? If it's the same, you can both stream and record from one instance of OBS, and quick looking at his streams and recordings I'm not seeing any differences.
For example, in the recording instance he doesn't record the music he plays on stream (for Youtube to not strike him) and he shows twitch chat in it. Plus the encoding bitrate is different on the recording. So there is definitely a use to it, but that is pretty offtopic for a bugreport :D
Last edited by peet1993 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

peet1993 wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:54 pm
Jap2.0 wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 pm
For example, in the recording instance he doesn't record the music he plays on stream (for Youtube to not strike him)v and he shows twitch chat in it. Plus the encoding bitrate is different on the recording. So there is definitely a use to it, but that is pretty offtopic for a bugreport :D
Ah, right. I think you can set bitrates separately in one instance, but there goes my simple solution.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by AntiElitz »

Since not all streamers use game-capture (Sometimes you can't in weird setups) there is a potential you miss out on advertisement with large streamers trying and failing to stream the game. Also I am not sure all streaming and recording software does support game capture.

I don't see an easy solution for it. One could be to give a popup in the game and recommend to change the setting if one of the programms like "xsplit, obs, ect" is being started, but that requires information about the running processes. The other may be to opt in manually in the new settings with the warning that some recording software may not work with window capture anymore.

Nilaus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nilaus »

Lets not start solving a technical problem by asking streamers like Anti to "why don't you just..." ;)

I have just tested Game Capture vs. Window Capture and get the same result i.e. works with Game, doesn't work with Window. Luckily I only use Game Capture...

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

I also use window capture, its good because the title of factorio always changes (with every patch), so you dont need to adjust your source all times,...

What about making the title of factorio stay the same? "Factorio"

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

AntiElite wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 pm
Since not all streamers use game-capture (Sometimes you can't in weird setups) there is a potential you miss out on advertisement with large streamers trying and failing to stream the game. Also I am not sure all streaming and recording software does support game capture.
Yeah, I understand this might be a problem for us. There is "Use flip presentation model"(*) checkbox in graphics options in 0.17.48 already, but not even Bilka seems to know about it, and streamers won't know this will solve the problem.

(*) the option doesn't change dxgi-presentation-model in config.ini, it controls what happens if dxgi-presentation-model is not set)

Determining default settings by scanning for running processes is probably technical support nightmare, but on the could also turn off clouds if we detect screen scapturing software :D. What I'll experiment with though, is to draw instructions to turn off the "Use flip presentation model" onto the window, so you'd see black screen with the text in OBS.
nuhll wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 am
What about making the title of factorio stay the same? "Factorio"
Kovarex say no. In OBS 23.1.0 Window Capture and Game Capture had exact same window matching pritority options (I chose "Match tile, otherwise find window of the same executable.")

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Oh, ok, wasnt at home. :oops:

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

My plan was to draw text to the window before initializing DirectX, and I was hoping OBS would show the window surface. This didn't work out the way I thought it would, first the text was creating jarring feeling when it showed up for small moment before loading would and OBS still sometimes managed to capture first frame of the loading screen instead.

It is pretty normal Window capture doesn't capture games or windows with hardware accelerated drawing https://www.obs.live/articles/2019/3/20 ... lack-issue (actually I am surprised it used to worked for Factorio in the first place), so I'll just add this to troubleshooting thread.

Return to β€œWon't fix.”