My First Research Facility

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Webby_Gamer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

My First Research Facility

Post by Webby_Gamer »

This is my very first creation, I'm fairly proud of it. The inserts and transport belts get backed up a lot, but I can't add any more assembling machines though. It's basic, it's inefficient, but it's my first, and I'm happy. Any comments or advice for my next build would be appreciated. [Edit] I changed the screenshot to show what the machines, labs, etc were making. [Edit-2] I changed some minor production things. Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I'm happy with it myself :)
Attachments
2014-09-04_00002.jpg
2014-09-04_00002.jpg (362.8 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
Last edited by Webby_Gamer on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: My First Research Facility

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

please press ALT for the next screen. I cant figure out wich assembly does what :)

Webby_Gamer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Webby_Gamer »

Here, ignore the random fast belt in the middle xD.
Attachments
2014-09-02_00003.jpg
2014-09-02_00003.jpg (364.19 KiB) Viewed 5095 times

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Nice Job for your first resaerh setup.

But some things come to my mind :)

First, dont put your Sience Packs into a Chest. Let them stack on the belts. So, when the need arises there are Packs to grab.
Second, your ratio between red an green doesnt fit :). Make equal assembly for both.

But I like your copper setup! I myself worked sofar with a mainbus :).

And also but .... :D .... my first factory was very more cluttered and ineffectiv. So, (pats on your shoulder), nice job done.

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sbroadbent »

One suggestion is to press the "Alt" key to display detailed information so that it is easy for us to understand what is producing what.

It took some time for me to trace where everything goes. With that said, I've probably never seen Iron Smelting feeding directly into what I presume is a gears factory, let alone 6? Gear Factories.

As to advice for next builds, take a closer look to the time it takes to produce various components. Although these are modified as far as I know by the speed of the Assembly Machines, Gears take .5 to produce, while for instance a Red Science Pack takes 5 to build. Given this, one Gear Factory should be able to supply enough Gears for 10 Red Science Packs using similar speed Assemblers.

There's also no reason to collect Science Packs into a chest at the end of a belt, since these are now unusable by the Science Labs and you'd have to manually reload them.

Another suggestion and it may just be my preference would be to drop down to 10 Science Labs, or perhaps go up to 20. From what I've seen, excess research is 'lost' when something completes. For instance, you have 16 Labs, if you were to research something requiring say 20 research points, the first 16 would be done by all the labs, whereas the last 4 research points would be done by 4 Labs and the Science Packs used by the other 12 Labs would be lost, since they weren't required to do the research. If I'm correct, you would have consumed 32 Science Packs to research something requiring 20. The reason I suggest 10 labs is that most things things have research requirements in multiples of 10.
SB Gaming Youtube Channel:
ImageImage
Also includes series for Cities Skylines, Prison Architect, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Far Cry 2, and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Very nice first effort :mrgreen: Looks well organized and fairly effective!

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

You have some efficiency learning ;) but thats to be expected.

The biggest thing i notice is, you are not using teir 2 furnace (steel)
They produce x2 faster, more plates income.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Pretty good for a first time. :) better than my very first setup, that's for sure. Haha
But here are some tips. Don't put the extra packs in a chest. Just let them guilt up on the belts and the labs will take them when it's needed. As it is, putting them in a chest is either wasting them if they just sit there, or you have to manually load them into the labs which is a huge pain. :p

As other people have mentioned, pay close attention to production times of each thing. You are producing enough gears for like 50 or 60 red science machines I think. Lol also watch for bottlenecks, and a lot of the time they can be fixed by putting in fast inserters. I almost always used a fast inserter to at least load the iron into the gear factories. Sometimes to unload them too. :p

Hope some this helped, and great job so far and good luck!
Image Image Image

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

one over think thay have mist out is that there is 4 Science pack
Science pack 1 (reds)
Science pack 2 (greens)
Science pack 3 (bules)
Alien science pack

all 4 have to get in to a lab :?:
have 2 lins of balts and use a Inserter and Long handed inserter to food a lab

roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by roothorick »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:Second, your ratio between red an green doesnt fit :). Make equal assembly for both.
Eh, close but not quite. The theoretical ratio, assuming you use tier 1 assemblers for red/green and tier 2 for blue, is 5:6:8 red-green-blue. One to one will work well enough, but there's always that plus one ;)

I never bothered optimizing purple; it takes too long to get the damn artifacts in the first place for the processing efficiency to matter.

Return to “Show your Creations”