Friday Facts #298 - Demo upgrade for Stable

Regular reports on Factorio development.
tayrible@game
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #298 - Demo upgrade for Stable

Post by tayrible@game »

On the topic of deployment of robots that others have brought up, I think the quick an easy fix is to be able to hold shift/control when deploying to deploy five at a time or up to the players max count. This makes it much faster and prevents the player from being removed from the action just hold a key, click and boom back to slaughtering the natives.
:D

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Roxor128 »

RobertTerwilliger wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:46 pm
Target being hit should also get some glow. (At least tiny bit.) When you focus light beam on object - it usually (if not completely black AND matt) reflects some light onto surroundings.
Add a light source at either end of the beam. Dim red for source, bright yellow or orange for target.

Making the beam light up its surroundings as a light source would also improve things.

Now, implementing that as a bunch of point lights would be computationally intensive, especially when you have a hundred turrets firing at once. However, I think I may have found something simpler that could do the job: A 2D signed-distance function. Use that with the inverse-square law, and I think it could work for a line-segment light source. Here's a page full of functions for 2D primitives, including a line-segment: https://iquilezles.org/www/articles/dis ... ions2d.htm

Hakisak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hakisak »

The beams should definitely light up the area. use the beams from the old picture (without dimming) then make a glow along the beam and at the end of the beam.

TatsuZZMage
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TatsuZZMage »

Follower robots a idea for em have a lamp on them that mirros the color of user so they glow their color mask.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/laser_fix
Kinda expected something like this
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

ownlyme wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:06 pm
That looks totally bizarre and flat and unrealistic. Like the air around the beam is glowing.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

Deadlock989 wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:09 pm
That looks totally bizarre and flat and unrealistic. Like the air around the beam is glowing.
Yeah maybe i'll increase the glow radius
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

About as unrealistic as being able to see a laser in the first place.
On the other hand, if they were plasma beams...
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: ζ—₯本θͺž, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

Better now?

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

eradicator wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:53 pm
Actually, you can see laser beam, if there is some dust/smoke)steam/any other particles in the air.
But yeah, laser in darkness glows way too much. I'd prefer reverting brightness to former values, and adding glow on target position (glow on source is unnatural, as laser is constructed in the way it focuses all light in a beam - it never illuminating itself or surrounding, unlike target, that inevitably does deflect some portion of light)
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Π˜Ρ‰Ρƒ, тСряя" (rus, 2013)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I like it the way it is shown in the FFF. It may not be realistic, but it's badass :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

I don't get it.
Why do you need a 1x1 "quest item consumer"?
Why not just use an inserter like in the actual game?
The "quest item consumer" already exists in the form of the assembler which is a thing that actually exists in free play.

Creating a new special campaign only thing only serves to confuse.
I know you're inspired by starcraft 2 a lot but it would probably be best not to copy that aspect of it.

That is unless you want to officially add loaders to the game.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

Hakisak wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:03 am
The beams should definitely light up the area. use the beams from the old picture (without dimming) then make a glow along the beam and at the end of the beam.
Laser light dynamics enhanced for 0.17.46 :
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65114&p=434382&hil ... ed#p434382
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by abregado »

Jap2.0 wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:36 pm
Do you still want my folder of screenshots?
Nah tis ok, your feedback was excellent already. If you get a chance, have a nooby friend play it and send me their screenshots :D

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by abregado »

dood wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:32 pm
I don't get it.
Why do you need a 1x1 "quest item consumer"?
There are only three real places that things are "consumed" in factorio. Science, military-consumables (Bullets) and Rockets.

Increasing the Science costs only takes you so far. In the Introduction I already did that.
Increasing the Bullet consumption has a cap at which the player gets killed for making a mistake. It is also increased in the Introduction.
No rockets to launch in the Intro :D
NB. Coal is also consumed in making electricity, but well, you can see the problems with that already.

Having an entity that consumers specific items, and a way of teaching the player what to put into it, is incredibly helpful for anwering the question "Can the play build this, and move it to this location using automation?"

It will get much more use in the full campaign, which is why it needs to be displayed during the Introduction.

Does it make more sense now?

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BattleFluffy »

That does make sense that we want to teach the player how to automate the production of items, and you're right, they need to be used somewhere. But why does the NPE need to be different from the freeplay? Why not just have new players make Automation Science Packs, and feed them into a lab? Surely that is better preparation for the freeplay than beating about the bush with 1x1 loaders/quest consumers that the player will never see again..?

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

eradicator wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:53 pm
Laser light is scattered from air molecules. Green beam is easy to see at less that 1 W power. Scattered light is dim and do not light surrounding, but it would be nice if hit point were illuminated. It looks very bright and illuminates like a lamp. In code it would be additional variable and moving light source and probably very efficient to calculate.
Plasma beams are fiction. It is impossible to focus plasma on long laser like beams. Plasma beams, for example metal cutting beams, are very short.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Regarding the new campaign, I want to say it's really easy for someone to accidentally miss the electric miner unlock upgrade. Even as an experienced player, I did not see it until 15-20m after it became available, and I was actively looking for when it would become available. The upgrade tree is just somehow hard to navigate I assume or the upgrade became available after an intermediate quest and there was no notification that it suddenly became available. The old campaign kind of teached you right away how useful electric mining is just through the fact that you started with it in the 2nd (?) mission and the player naturally notices how much easier it is to use. (As a side note, it is kind of interesting to try to figure out how to make a coal-run factory, even though it's never optimal.)

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

You should change tank controls to have 2 speed keys and 2 breaks or are controlled exactly like a car. Right now it is confusing and totally not realistic.

Return to β€œNews”