Well, I had a go at the tutorial. Impressions:
- In the first level, I got the solid fuel from the wreck (and then started mining coal), but compilatron went crazy for a little while wanting me to mine wood.
- Compilatron's dialogs go over the inventory GUI (and everything else for that matter - which can be annoying when it obscures a significant part of the screen). This was later annoying when he would always put his "out of ammo" comment right on top
of my first ammo chest.
- The coal is set up so that making any more than two drills point in a loop is nigh impossible
- Why can't you rotate the belt in front of the inserter/chest (or just interact with it at all, for that matter?)
- Having a slightly longer delay before he starts complaining about things requiring coal might be nice (I see the out of fuel icon, no need to immediately pester me)
- Why no toolbelt?
- It gave me hints (in both the panel at top left and from compilatron) for things I had already used (namely control-click)
- Compilatron's speed always says 43.2km/h
- If compilatron is telling you to fuel one item and you place another, he will go to the other structure, give the fuel warning, and return to the first when that is fueled; if he is telling you to fuel one item and another runs out of fuel, he will stay at the first. Interesting observation, and probably intended (it seems reasonable to go to whatever the player is doing).
- Actually, sometimes he'll randomly change which structure he's giving a fuel warning about, so I'm not quite sure about how that works.
- It appears that he will only give fuel warnings about mining drills and furnaces (not inserters)
- It would be really nice to be able to ctrl+click items into the chests. If that's not feasible, I'd settle for circuit network control of inserters.
- "Status" on the tooltip is cool. Is that new?
- The small, scattered resources made me feel like the level design was trying to prohibit automation at large scale - especially the small amount of copper and the small scattered nature of the coal patch (and for any significant amount of burner infrastructure you need a ton of coal)
- Mining productivity is the only (initially visible) use of green science? I now feel no motivation to go towards green science.
- The early tech tree is rather linear and has a lot of (imo) nearly useless technologies
- The icon for electric inserters shows two inserters which are not unlocked by that technology
- Come on, I just built my burner-level perfect ratio green circuit setup and now I have to evacuate
- But by evacuate, you mean "systematically deconstruct everything you have," right? Cool.
- Shoot, my inventory's full. Let's see if I can craft some stuff to compress my inventory a bit. Final inventory count at evacuation: 5 wooden chests, 2 iron chests, 199 belts, 50 burner inserters, 22 small electric poles, 4 boilers, 8 steam engines, 21 burner miners, 1 offshore pump, 5 stone furnaces, 24 assembly machine 1s, 3 labs, 2107 coal, 311 stone, 700 iron, 132 copper, 4 solid fuel, 3 copper wire, 80 iron gears, 212 electronic circuits, 21 red science packs, 1 radar.
- Oh hey, a toolbelt.
- Huh, if you have the tooltip follow the cursor, and pause the game while a tooltip is on, it will continue to follow the cursor in the foreground on the pause screen.
- PLEASE let me research splitters.
- Very nice hidden stuff around the map
- All I ever wanted to do was expand my iron, but now I have to deal with constant waves of biters
- I'm building my iron anyway.
- "New crafting recipes" shows up after researching things such as gun turret upgrades that don't give new recipes
- One time, a couple gun turrets ran out of ammo (I hadn't automated reloading that side yet), and I lost probably 20 minutes of progress. To be honest... it was rather disheartening. It'd be nice if it still autosaved; all the lack of autosaves taught me was that I needed to save manually.
- I'm trying to automate a whole lot of stuff at once... this would be so much less stressful with underground belts.
- The biter AI is a bit strange. It always targets a few specific areas, and won't stray from those targets - biters will run right by the turrets shooting at them, the player has to physically chase them, and half the time they completely ignore if you hit them with a pickaxe to the head.
- Did I mention that the nonexistant pickaxe is as good of a weapon as the pistol? Yeah, it's about as good.
Final score: 3:40:07, 24418 biter kills
Oh hey, now
I can research logistics.
Abregado: there are a few things in here which I think might be considered bugs, should I report them or are you taking note/already know?
eradicator wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:32 pm
abregado wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:21 pm
eradicator wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:40 pm
Neither the inserter not the chest are filtered. Looks like i can just stuff iron ore in there until no space left? (This is not a hidden request for filterable chests :p)
Just try it and see what happens
I did actually. And when the chest was "full" with iron ore i noticed that i had accidentially put one of each type of the target items, so the test was in vain. But due to this bug
i don't want to try again just now. I'll just interpret that smiley as "it's been taken care of".
I checked and it appears to void items when it's a slot short of full (I put about 4k ore into it and it was stuck at 1.5k in the chest). It also works if you try to fill it with multiple other items. The excess does not appear to be returned.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.