Adding mods, which mods?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Premier2k
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Adding mods, which mods?

Post by Premier2k »

Hey all,

After 304 hours of vanilla I'm looking to expand the complexity of Factorio. I've heard of Angels and Bobs, and more recently Pyanodon/SpaceX?
Are these standalone, do they work with each other? Is one harder than the other?

I'm not looking to increase the complexity as high as it can go, but maybe some new ores, some new recipes etc just to make it maybe double the complexity... can someone point me in the right direction. it's a bit overwhelming with all the different options.

I was a huge fan of Gregtech in the Minecraft world, and whilst I'd like to get to that point, for now, start small :)

So basically what I'm after is some added complexity (I don't mind grind at all), without being over the top. Once I've done that then I'll go full complexity :D

Thanks everyone!

Premier2k

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Adding mods, which mods?

Post by Koub »

Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

dognosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dognosh »

Premier2k wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:02 am
Hey all,

After 304 hours of vanilla I'm looking to expand the complexity of Factorio. I've heard of Angels and Bobs, and more recently Pyanodon/SpaceX?
Are these standalone, do they work with each other? Is one harder than the other?

I'm not looking to increase the complexity as high as it can go, but maybe some new ores, some new recipes etc just to make it maybe double the complexity... can someone point me in the right direction. it's a bit overwhelming with all the different options.

I was a huge fan of Gregtech in the Minecraft world, and whilst I'd like to get to that point, for now, start small :)

So basically what I'm after is some added complexity (I don't mind grind at all), without being over the top. Once I've done that then I'll go full complexity :D

Thanks everyone!

Premier2k
BOB's, Angel's and spaceX each increase complexity immensely.
Bottleneck and Squeak Through are QoL "must have" mods
Your best bet is to open the mods section ingame and filter by most downloads and check each of them out to suit your style of play.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

SpaceX doesn't really increase complexity very much. (Or at least it didn't last time used it). It adds a few new recipes, and some very expensive parts and researches, which encourage scaling up much more than a vanilla game that ends when you launch a rocket. So it changes the dynamic of the game add a little bit of complexity and encourages larger bases, but at least in my opinion, the increase in complexity is only small. You should be able to add it to most other mods that don't add other endgame challenges. (ie I wouldn't expect it to work with other mods that add space exploration/alternate victory conditions etc unless the mod authors have added support for spaceX).

Something that is popular atm is Seablock, which is Bobs + Angels + SpaceX plus some other changes. (Bobs + Angels is a very large increase in complexity). viewtopic.php?f=190&t=43759

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Bioindustries also looks interesting if you want to add complexity.

Next Gen Evolution let's you change the game drastically if you work with the settings, to the extent that you could play a game where you are only punished by ecologically unfriendly behavior but punished harshly.

Schorty's air filters are a good way to handle the pollution cloud (in combination with the above).

A good advanced solar mod will let you build better solar panels and accumulators so that you can use less space (does not save you resources or build time, only space).

LTN, mini loaders, bulk rail loaders make trains more manageable.

Max rate calculator can get you started into designing efficient production lines.

The Locator
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by The Locator »

Shout out for Krastorio which is a complete mod (not like Bob's where you have to pick up a bunch of individual mods) that adds a few new ores and more complicated recipes and some new items.

He does recommend some complimentary mods to go with it but works fine by itself.

Premier2k
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Premier2k »

Thanks all for some brilliant replies, what a friendly helpful community!

After some further research, I had a test game using Bobs mods only (without electronics and bobs enemies(?)), I didn't get far before I realised I wanted more. So I then installed Angels mods as well....That blew my mind. Even though I've been watching an LP and so had an idea I still wasn't fully prepared for what lay ahead.
So did I shy away and do more research? Did I go back a step and reduce complexity?

Nope....after work, I'm also installing SpaceX, Pyanadon and Seablock as well. This weekend I can kiss my life goodbye :D

My question though, I assume Bobs, Angels, SpaceX, Pyanadon and Seablock will play nicely together? Are there any known issues that could scupper my weekend?

Thanks all again!

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Premier2k wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:12 am
My question though, I assume Bobs, Angels, SpaceX, Pyanadon and Seablock will play nicely together? Are there any known issues that could scupper my weekend?
Must be compatible.
If not, then you can ask someone to made some SeaBAPS where they are adjusted to each other.
Sea Block Pack

Premier2k
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Premier2k »

darkfrei wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:23 am
Premier2k wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:12 am
Must be compatible.
If not, then you can ask someone to made some SeaBAPS where they are adjusted to each other.
Sea Block Pack
Lovely! Thanks darkfrei

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

The Seablock pack includes most of Bobs + Angels + SpaceX + some other stuff. I have no idea whether it is compatible with Pyanadon.

Return to “General discussion”