[Rseding91] [0.17.45] Mod update can timeout causing corrupt mod to be "successfully" downloaded

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Quint
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Rseding91] [0.17.45] Mod update can timeout causing corrupt mod to be "successfully" downloaded

Post by Quint »

System Information:
Windows 10 x64 Pro
Intel Core i7 6700K
32GB DDR4 Ram
Toshiba-TR150 SSD

Observed:
Around 8PM CDT on May 31st 2019 the factorio forums and mod portal were slow/unresponsive. During this time I was attempting to update some mods via the in-game updater. I noticed it was taking a while so I left and came back 10~ minutes later and it was "complete". I confirmed the updates and factorio restarted. Upon start up one of the mods I updated was no longer in my Mods list. I confirmed this by checking mod-list.json and noticed the mod was not listed. I attempted to re-download the mode via the in-game browser and every time it "completed" there was no state change and I could continually request it to download (needed to click to another mod and back) and clicking Confirm did not prompt for any restart. Closing Factorio and deleted the corrupt .zip file allowed for the mod to be installed normally and be played.

Expected:
If a download fails due to network connection issues it would not result in the user having to manually delete a mod and it would inform the user that an error occurred.

Reproduction Steps:
1. Have a mod needing to be updated.
2. Attempt to update the mod via the in-game updater.
3. Before the mod completes downloading, disrupt the internet connection (turning off my WiFi reproduced this but the original cause was the server timing out).
4. Wait until the download times out, about 20 seconds.
5. All updates appear to have been downloaded successfully. (At this point I re-enabled my internet connection)
6. Press confirm to restart factorio.
7. An incomplete zip file now exists in the mods folder on disk and the mod-list.json no longer contains the mod. You can no longer use that mod until it is manually removed from the mods folder on disk and downloaded again.

Additional Notes:
The mod in question was "boblibrary" AKA "Bob's Functions Library mod" and I was attempting to update from version 0.17.2 to 0.17.3. This should have no relevance on the actual issue.
factorio-previous.log shows the download error
factorio-current.log shows the failure to load the mod
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
factorio-previous.log
(6.41 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.45] Mod update can timeout causing corrupt mod to be "successfully" downloaded

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. It's now fixed for the next version of 0.17.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”