Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Deadlock989 »

zakman wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:39 pm
Since updating to 0.17.x, I've noticed that sounds seem to be handled differently.

Specifically, sound volume is no longer independent of the zoom level as it was in 0.16 and previous, but changes depending on how close or how far you are zoomed in.

Is there a way to change this back to what it was previously? I would rather have the sound at a constant level, regardless of zoom.
I've noticed this as well. Sounds suddenly "appear" when you zoom further out. Coincidentally, because you are zooming out, the source of the sound "gets nearer" on the screen. Kind of feel like this is a bug but didn't feel like reporting it during experimental.

Snabbles
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Snabbles »

I will keep this short: Is there a way to change the station in a train, when you already have the schedule set up? Say I have a whole elaborate system with conditions made, but I just want to change the station (but not the conditions). I have this setup where I have a train resupply my defensive walls, and want to copy the whole schedule to a new train for another wall (different station, same setup), but I dont want to create the whole schedule again. Is this possible?

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Copy the existing train onto the new one, and then tweak the new one’s schedule as needed?

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

Okay, I tested this with Vanilla -- is there a way to keep landfill in a blueprint and have it follow the whole blueprint in one go? What happens is if I try to just click on water, I get "Can't build on deep water". If I shift-click, then it only delivers landfill, and I then would have to wait until robots come and deliver it, and finally shift-click again to lay entities. What I EXPECTED is I click (or shift-click) once and robots actually follow my whole blueprint in one action. Is this normal? I almost feel it's pointless to have both in one BP if it does not execute it...

Edit -- I mean in my example this is not too significant, but In a multi-chunk BP I use often for solar that each has 800 solar, 800 accum, 4 robotports, it can then auto-build and extend out to sea... and I paste a dozen of them out the perimeter of my base at a time, and let the robots work while I worry about other things...
F20190527_BP_Itself.jpg
F20190527_BP_Itself.jpg (82.71 KiB) Viewed 5421 times
F20190527_BP_Land.jpg
F20190527_BP_Land.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 5421 times
Thanks!
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Ranger_Aurelien wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:55 pm
Okay, I tested this with Vanilla -- is there a way to keep landfill in a blueprint and have it follow the whole blueprint in one go? What happens is if I try to just click on water, I get "Can't build on deep water". If I shift-click, then it only delivers landfill, and I then would have to wait until robots come and deliver it, and finally shift-click again to lay entities. What I EXPECTED is I click (or shift-click) once and robots actually follow my whole blueprint in one action. Is this normal? I almost feel it's pointless to have both in one BP if it does not execute it...

Edit -- I mean in my example this is not too significant, but In a multi-chunk BP I use often for solar that each has 800 solar, 800 accum, 4 robotports, it can then auto-build and extend out to sea... and I paste a dozen of them out the perimeter of my base at a time, and let the robots work while I worry about other things...

F20190527_BP_Itself.jpg

F20190527_BP_Land.jpg

Thanks!
TBH this is why I don't even bother with the new "landfill in a blueprint" mechanic.

It is a horrid and incredibly lazy implementation, especially when they already have a similar mechanic with tree removals that they could have copied/adapted to landfill.

The devs really need to figure out how to do it right. Hopefully before fully releasing 0.17.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

OK, thanks; so it's not just me. The other pet peeve of mine is associated: if I have landfill scheduled for an area I should be able to ghost queue a building to go on that landfill. (Just like over trees/rocks/cliffs, to be placed when clear land exists).
-
Ranger Aurelien

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Ranger_Aurelien wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:32 pm
OK, thanks; so it's not just me. The other pet peeve of mine is associated: if I have landfill scheduled for an area I should be able to ghost queue a building to go on that landfill. (Just like over trees/rocks/cliffs, to be placed when clear land exists).
I totally agree.

Landfill is definitely a weak area of Factorio, even after 0.17... that was supposed to be the cure.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:48 am
TBH this is why I don't even bother with the new "landfill in a blueprint" mechanic.

It is a horrid and incredibly lazy implementation, especially when they already have a similar mechanic with tree removals that they could have copied/adapted to landfill.

The devs really need to figure out how to do it right. Hopefully before fully releasing 0.17.
What an incredible ego you have.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:44 am
zOldBulldog wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:48 am

What an incredible ego you have.
What are you smoking? What does ego have to do with an honest assessment of a bad product? Feedback is essential for any developer, so that they can improve their products.

Years ago quality of product used to be an expectation for any game and developers would not put out a "quick and dirty" implementation.

Unfortunately as quality degraded over time more and more players have become tolerant of bad products and consider them normal. They (like you) even defend poorly crafted designs, making bad components of products a self-fullfilling prophecy. It is a trend that pushes an increasing number of people to not buy before trying and to quickly dismiss games that could otherwise be amazing. It costs both players and developers. Not a good trend, and one that sooner or later is going to have to be reversed.

We are also discussing ONE feature of a very good overall product. Guess how they keep it good? Through feedback.
Last edited by zOldBulldog on Wed May 29, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Click middle mouse button on an empty hotbar spot and choose an item from the list.
hotbar selection.png
hotbar selection.png (648.26 KiB) Viewed 5265 times
(Ill buy):)
[EDIT} and the quiestion is gone. rofl

Snabbles
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Snabbles »

astroshak wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:40 pm
Copy the existing train onto the new one, and then tweak the new one’s schedule as needed?
That doesnt work, because then you still have to create all the conditions for that part of the schedule again. I just want to change the station without changing the conditions.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Hello!

In 0.17, is there a way to affect the richness of Trees directly? I see in the generator screen a way for Area and Coverage, and then in advanced, a way to affect the Pollution limits, but no Tree Richness slider...

I found this thread via the wiki, but it seems to be 0.16
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=60794

https://wiki.factorio.com/World_generator

Thanks!
-
Ranger Aurelien

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Not in front of the Factorio world creation screen right now, but ...

Trees are always (unless maybe modded?) 2 or 4 wood. 2 wood for dead trees, 4 wood for living trees, determined at world/chunk generation (so trees killed by pollution do not drop from 4 to 2 wood).

So, the bigger, thicker the forest, the richer the wood supply. The world creation screen has exactly what you need.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Not in front of the Factorio world creation screen right now, but ...

Trees are always (unless maybe modded?) 2 or 4 wood. 2 wood for dead trees, 4 wood for living trees, determined at world/chunk generation (so trees killed by pollution do not drop from 4 to 2 wood).

So, the bigger, thicker the forest, the richer the wood supply. The world creation screen has exactly what you need.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Snabbles wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:13 pm
I will keep this short: Is there a way to change the station in a train, when you already have the schedule set up? Say I have a whole elaborate system with conditions made, but I just want to change the station (but not the conditions). I have this setup where I have a train resupply my defensive walls, and want to copy the whole schedule to a new train for another wall (different station, same setup), but I dont want to create the whole schedule again. Is this possible?
The only way I can think of will require some creative circuit design to have all stations named the same and trains all setup with schedules based on inactivity with something like suppljy-wall-wall-wall-wall-wall.

For the stations, each would need an ID assigned by you (probably in a constant combinato for easy setup), a signal that is incremented by 1 every time a train arrives at a stop (resetting when it reaches the last station number), and stations only enabled when the signal value matches the station ID.

That way you should be able to copy the trains and set them to automatic. For the stations you would place and update the combinator, plus whatever combinator tracks the total number of stations (or better yet, use a second global signal to count the stations).

Make sure to post in Share your Creations and factorioprints.com once you are done. This will likely be a little more complex than I described, but something that will likely become the standard for wall supply management.

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

Question;

How can I find out how many robots are waiting for recharge? I would like to be able to check on this to determine if I need to place more robotports, but I cannot find a way to do it without coming across a robotport with a circle of robots.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Cultor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Cultor »

Question.
On a Sandbox map with cheats enabled, how do I delete placed object ?
I know about:

Code: Select all

/c game.local_player.selected.destroy()
But why doesn't just rightclick like in the normal game work ? Can't find it anywhere in the settings..

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

SkiCarver wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:11 am
Question;

How can I find out how many robots are waiting for recharge? I would like to be able to check on this to determine if I need to place more robotports, but I cannot find a way to do it without coming across a robotport with a circle of robots.

Have you seen this thread? viewtopic.php?p=429102#p429102 It discusses much the same problem. The consensus is that it is easiest to find them by eyeball.

Just looking at number of robots available and number in the network does not differentiate between charging and busy. And if there was a number waiting for charging you would need to still find where to add the port.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Cultor wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:42 am
On a Sandbox map with cheats enabled, how do I delete placed object ?
Not sure if this is what you mean.

Code: Select all

/c script.on_event(defines.events.on_pre_player_mined_item,function(e) e.entity.destroy() end)
Deletes objects when they are mined. Not MP safe. Will reset itself when you load a savegame.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

Greybeard_LXI wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:43 pm
SkiCarver wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:11 am
Question;

Have you seen this thread? viewtopic.php?p=429102#p429102 It discusses much the same problem. The consensus is that it is easiest to find them by eyeball.

Just looking at number of robots available and number in the network does not differentiate between charging and busy. And if there was a number waiting for charging you would need to still find where to add the port.
Thanks for the reply greybeard, I hadnt seen that thread.

Return to “Gameplay Help”