[0.17.43] Weird corner pipe hitboxes

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
alercah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.17.43] Weird corner pipe hitboxes

Post by alercah »

2019-05-24_15-11.png
2019-05-24_15-11.png (622.29 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
In this example, the character can successfully navigate between the underground pipe and the regular pipes in the first three examples, where there is no corner of pipe. Inconsistently, however, the character can not navigate round the corner of pipes in the last two examples. They can only make it to the corner from either end, but not leave. This is very weird that there would be enough room for the character to go through vertically or horizontally, but not both!

Although I didn't include examples in this save, this also happens when the straight pipes are replaced with underground pipes or vice versa---in particular, you cannot navigate around nested corners of pipes.

No mods are necessary to see this behaviour. Attached save and log.
Attachments
pipes.zip
(2.07 MiB) Downloaded 96 times
factorio-current.log
(6.57 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.43] Weird corner pipe hitboxes

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report.

You could argue that not being able to walk between pipes in some scenarios is a bug but I can also argue that at no point have we ever said being able to walk between pipes was meant to even be a thing.

More so, it's one of those "it works this way, lets just keep it working that way".

I don't consider this worth the incredibly large risk of breaking everything else involved with pipes by changing pipe collision boxes.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

You could also say that the corner piece’s outer edge doesn’t make an exact, sharp 90 degree corner and instead curves/rounds into it, thus cutting into the available walking space. Makes sense from that pov.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

alercah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by alercah »

I think that moving between two parallel pipes is quite reasonable personally (in actuality, large pipelines are often above ground level so you can sometimes even go underneath!). I wanted to look into doing this with a mod, but is the enlarged hitbox for a corner pipe hardcoded? I can't find anything that looks like it might code for it in the game files.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

alercah wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:41 pm
I think that moving between two parallel pipes is quite reasonable personally (in actuality, large pipelines are often above ground level so you can sometimes even go underneath!).
Yes, though if you think about it, you could potentially put them too close together IRL, too, which is exactly what what you’re doing here. These pipes are almost a meter across. There’s maybe 20-40 cm max between the pipes at the widest points. You can just simply build the pipes with a meter/tile space between them and this would solve that.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Eh. That's been reported ages ago (can't find any of the though). Happens in all sorts of weird configurations, for example when you build pipes on a shoreline, or around steam engines. I personally "fixed" it by decreasing the size of the players collision box by 25% to a diameter of 0.3.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

bfreis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bfreis »

> I personally "fixed" it by decreasing the size of the players collision box by 25% to a diameter of 0.3.

Would you mind sharing how to do it?

Thanks!

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

bfreis wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:49 am
> I personally "fixed" it by decreasing the size of the players collision box by 25% to a diameter of 0.3.

Would you mind sharing how to do it?
It's only one string in the data.lua:

Code: Select all

data.raw.character.character.collision_box = {{-0.15, -0.15}, {0.15, 0.15}}
Just make new mod, copy and change info.json from another mod, than add the file data.lua with the code above.

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FasterJump »

I just ran into the same problem, I don't remember having this problem in 1.16...

I would suggest a simple fix that shouldn't break anything: Instead of reducing pipes hitbox, why not reduce only underground pipes hitbox?
Attachments
SneakThrough.png
SneakThrough.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2474 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

FasterJump wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:46 am
I just ran into the same problem, I don't remember having this problem in 1.16...

I would suggest a simple fix that shouldn't break anything: Instead of reducing pipes hitbox, why not reduce only underground pipes hitbox?
That *is* the risky change: reducing pipe hitboxes. Pipes are pipes and underground pipes :P
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:36 pm
FasterJump wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:46 am

That *is* the risky change: reducing pipe hitboxes. Pipes are pipes and underground pipes :P
What's risky about it? Squeak Through does it as a matter-of-course.

Edit: Though I guess there's only really one lever for collision box with pipes and like 20+ configurations, so you can't change only one and not the others.

Return to “Minor issues”