Worth it or not?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
jamesbowers
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Worth it or not?

Post by jamesbowers »

I'm kinda struggeling because I dont know if I should get this game. I played the demo (First 3 Campaign Missions) and it was half fun half boring. Sometimes I just had to wait until something was done but when I did something, it was quite fun. My question is: Does this ''boring thing'' happen in solo games and after the 3 Missions? In youtube etc. I just find Videos that say: this game is amazing etc. but I dont really know now after this kind of boring experience in the first missions. Is it just the Missions or am I right? thanks for all replys. (sorry for the english)

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Worth it or not?

Post by Serenity »

Outside the campaign you have total freedom. You set your own goals and pace. You can constantly build things. You can thinker with small details. Or you can just sit there and watch things

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Time spent on campaign: about 1.5 hours
Playtime, including modding: well over 2000 hours

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

It is literally the game of the decade. It's also only $30. Get it!

jdtitans
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jdtitans »

Nearly everyone on this forum will tell you they love the game.

I downloaded the demo because I loved what I read about the game, almost didn't buy it because the missions were so terrible, watched a couple of videos to be able to say "yeah, it still looks like what I want" and bought it. Loved it ever since.

Hope you love it, too.

JD

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Answers in this addicted's nest may have a little bias, but if you feel basic game mechanics interesting, you can adjust resources and costs on large scale. If you feel that you have to wait too much at default settings, feel free to increase resources and/or decrease research and defense costs by settings.

But be warned. Here are many who have used thousands or hours in this game, including me. It may break your relations, cause a wrist trauma, etc. nasty side effects. But if you are young and health and have much free time, I guarantee that Factorio is much better investment than so called "life".

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

If you are waiting for things then that means you either didn't tweak the map settings (available in the full version) to match your playstyle or you made a tiny factory and decided that instead of expanding it to make it faster you could just wait for the tiny and slow factory to do things while you go AFK. In case it's the second scenario, just keep building and expanding. To keep going at a steady pace you need to automate so you can grow your production exponentially. When things cost 10 or 100 times more you are forced to expand your factory to progress, so waiting doesn't really help you further than just getting marginally further. Just keep building and designing factories constantly, that's what the game is about.

For the first case, settings for freeplay gives you many options: (freeplay is the "main" game that most play in the full version which gives you full freedom)
If you have too difficult natives then you will be constrained by space and time spent repairing your turrets. Peaceful mode or playing without natives gives you the freedom to use any space you want to and expand as fast as you want, or take it as slow as you want since there's no threat.

If you want action a bit more than just building then turning biters up will mean that you can't ever wait. Time spent waiting is time the enemy grows stronger while you aren't so you always have to get ahead and also have to react to threats.

Resources in high amounts means you don't have to wait because you don't have materials for your factory. Just build more a few more miners and you can easily supply a massive factory that you can just keep building.

Also when you get further into the game you get blueprints and expanding your factory is not only less manual labour but it also means you can just design good reusable blueprints which is also a very rewarding part of factorio. Most of my play in factorio (if I exclude modding) is just designing factories that I can use in play someday in the future q:

Then there's also amazing mods (for whatever you like to do, there's thousands).
Multiplayer with Co op and PvP in freeplay or other scenarios.

Factorio is the best game ever made. But I was hooked as soon as I tried the demo. I quickly gave up on the campaign though. The new campaign is much better than the one I played, I've heard. But I like freeplay and megabase building etc so I haven't tried the new one yet q: With freeplay you can customize the map settings to generate a map that makes your preferred playstyle possible so you don't get any boring moments. And mods give you even more of that.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

jamesbowers wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:31 pm
I'm kinda struggeling because I dont know if I should get this game. I played the demo (First 3 Campaign Missions) and it was half fun half boring. Sometimes I just had to wait until something was done but when I did something, it was quite fun. My question is: Does this ''boring thing'' happen in solo games and after the 3 Missions?
Note that
a) The current (0.17) "campaign" missions are brand new, and in active development.
b) What everyone loves about factorio is the sandbox mode, where you have no goal and just build until your pc can't handle your factory anymore. The campaign is supposed to be a fancy *tutorial*. And tutorials in every game are always a bit slow and overly verbose so nobody feels left behind.
c) People who *don't* like facotio don't waste their time on the factorio forums waiting to tell people how bad of a game it is. You won't get any negative answers here.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

greep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by greep »

The campaigns are on a small map. On freeplay, the map is infinite. You'll never be waiting unless you put biters on a difficulty level higher than you can handle.

phi Seeker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by phi Seeker »

Campaign mission are like produce x items, so you set up production and maybe you get little bored while waiting for the items to be produced, however in freeplay you make your own goals and when you finish one thing there is immediately something else to work on, or if you produce something too slow, you can be expanding that part of production, so if you enjoy that part of the demo, you shouldnt really get bored :D

MobRules
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MobRules »

The fact that you're asking about it here indicates that you want to be talked into buying it :).

Like others have said, the campaign & its missions are just a tutorial mode. There IS a goal in the sandbox version -- to launch a rocket. But that's an end-game goal, and you can get there however you want (launch a single rocket as quickly and efficiently as possible, create a megabase that can launch X rockets per minute, try to get to the end without using Y or only using Z,) or ignoring the rocket goal entirely and just doing whatever you feel like.

And you never need to just stand there waiting for a machine to finish; you're not working on only one thing at a time unless you want to. If something needs to run a bit before you take the next step, then go work on something else.

DragonWhisperer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DragonWhisperer »

Yeah, it's worth it.

Those tutorial missions from 0.16 are boring and have you waiting around because the game doesn't tell you anything.
Welcome to playing beta state games, or Early Access. It's unfinished from what you would otherwise expect.

But those tutorials are just an introduction, and the main game is the Freeplay version. That is an empty canvas for you to paint on.

Normally I didn't like such open world games, as they make me lose track of objectives, had me doing nothing in particular.

What makes factorio great is that whever goal you pursue, your actions are linked to other items in the game.

Want to build more ammo for turrets, you need more iron. To get more iron, you need more electric power. To get more power you need more coal, or solar panels.
To build solar panels you need copper, turned into circuits. You need a lot of that etc etc.

It's an ever expanding loop of requirements that have you constantly scale up as each segments is brought online. It's highly addictive if you enjoy solving puzzles.

wosthisdo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wosthisdo »

The missions show you how to do things - they are not the game.
Have a look at someone like Tuplex https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X31ca6U03U Just dip into every 3rd video to get some idea of how the game can develop once you are experienced. But it is very much like Kerbal Space Program in philosophy - try something, fail, kludge it, fail more creatively, learn and move on ;)

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

The game is very freeform, so if you want structure, concrete goals to work towards, you have to provide them yourself.

Generally you have a few innate ones, but the sheer amount of options, and lack of direction can be problematic.

In other words, the demo/tutorial, old and new, neither are really representative of the actual game, because you have no objectives laid out for you.
-----

On the upside, The game has a rediculously active modding community so if it is a game you enjoy, there are way too many options on how to enhance the gameplay further, making it more user friendly, more difficult, more combat focused, etc, etc.

Even if I don't enjoy it as much as I used to, I still think it is worth $60 easily, and I bought it for somewhere between $10 and $20 a few years back.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Return to “General discussion”