New GUI root for temporary GUI elements

MagmaMcFry
Inserter
Inserter

New GUI root for temporary GUI elements

Post by MagmaMcFry »

Recently I've added a preview feature to Factorissimo2 that allows you to see what's inside your factory buildings by hovering over them. This creates a new camera GUI element, but I'm faced with the problem of where to put it. If I put it in gui.top, or gui.left, it will either be to the right of a bunch of buttons, or push a bunch of buttons out of the way. Furthermore, hovering over a GUI element clears player.selected, which means that hovering over a factory building in the top left corner of your screen will cause flickering as on_selected_entity_changed gets fired each tick (I could manually prevent that from happening by adding GUI update cooldown, but that would be inelegant and impact the functioning of the general case where your mouse isn't in the corner of your screen).

My wish: I'd like a new GUI root (maybe in the bottom left) designed for short-life GUI elements (for extended info about hovered entities, for example). It should be
  • rendered above the other GUIs,
  • transparent to the cursor, i.e. doesn't affect player.selected and isn't clickable (both to prevent flickering issues when you hover over something, and to discourage other mods from using that root for more permanent GUI elements),
  • without element packing (i.e. render each of its toplevel children in the bottom left corner, all on top of each other).
I don't visit the forum very often. If you want to contact me, message me on the mod portal for Factorissimo-related things, or on Discord.

kumpu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: New GUI root for temporary GUI elements

Post by kumpu »

+1. I would very much like a bottom left gui root. My use-case would be some gauges for vehicles (fuel, etc.).

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Bottom left sounds like a bad idea as that's where the crafting queue goes. Base game uses the right side for hover info, and i've always wanted to be able to add additional info to that. Even if it's by creating yet another frame between the minimap and the normal tooltip.

The ability to have "click through" gui elements would be useful for other things too, not just tooltips.

kumpu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by kumpu »

eradicator wrote:Bottom left sounds like a bad idea as that's where the crafting queue goes.
You're right, but why not have the possibility and let the modders worry about that. It's good to have options 8-)

kumpu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by kumpu »

Any word on this from the devs? I could really make use of this! :D

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

kumpu wrote:
eradicator wrote:Bottom left sounds like a bad idea as that's where the crafting queue goes.
You're right, but why not have the possibility and let the modders worry about that. It's good to have options 8-)
Because in most cases i've seen i don't like the outcome of that worrying :P
kumpu wrote:Any word on this from the devs? I could really make use of this! :D
Don't hold your breath. Even if this was implemented it would have a 99% chance to come after the gui rewrite, aka 0.17.

kumpu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by kumpu »

eradicator wrote:
kumpu wrote:
Because in most cases i've seen i don't like the outcome of that worrying :P
Can't see any reason why modders shouldn't be allowed to screw up; worst case is that the mod gets uninstalled. Right? :D
There are enough limits to what is possible already.
eradicator wrote:
kumpu wrote:Any word on this from the devs? I could really make use of this! :D
Don't hold your breath. Even if this was implemented it would have a 99% chance to come after the gui rewrite, aka 0.17.
Guess you're right... Any idea when that will come out? 0.16 is not even officialy stable...

kumpu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by kumpu »

Listen up guys, you fail to realize what's at stake here.
Img
Look at it! It's in the wrong corner! Unacceptable.

Either way, if you won't implement this, I'll have to make some terrible hacks. It will probably involve breaking an entire gui root, bringing down other mods with it.
So you see, there really is no choice here. :P

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Some additional customGui has been wanted for a while,
So instead of:

Code: Select all

player.gui.center.add(gui)
You would make your own root gui:

player.gui.add(gui)
And then you would be able to align it and put it wherever you want

One problem is that mods would not really know about where other mods Gui's are, so it will be a big pickle mess even more than the current GUI system

kumpu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by kumpu »

I see, that would be great to have. But I understand it's a bit much asked for, couldn't think of any good way to keep it organized.
That wasn't McFry's and mine idea though - wouldn't giving us just more corner access be (relatively) easy?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

@Klonan:
Would that make the custom roots also movable by the player? That would bring me one big step closer to mimicking vanilla GUI elements. As long as you keep the top/left elements for more common things like tiny buttons. Would mods be allowed only one additional root or could they make several in different positions?
Maybe you could add a list of other-mods currently occupied space or a "would this overlap with something else" function. Though...even if it overlapped, if there's nothing that can be done about it i guess i'd have to display it anyway. I would only use it for things that the player has direct control over opening/closing. And it might bring the current mod button style chaos to the tooltip window :x. Hm. Maybe only allow it for responsible modders /joking.

Things i'd really like to do:
  1. Movable vanilla style guis.
  2. Adding additional bars above the current ones (health/shield) that properly align and stack with the others.
  3. Adding custom tooltips (on_selected) to custom entities. (might be even more awesome if it was possible to make them appear "in world"...that might actually be possible with a "place anywhere" root).
  4. Adding a large temporary click-through center gui element to display an on-screen overlay.
For none of those i care how those are implemented. And for each one i'd be pretty happy if they were possible (4 was possible in .15 i think).

kumpu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by kumpu »

I hope you don't mind if I add my $0.02 to this, as i get it this is a good opportunity to make suggestions while you guys rework the gui system.

What comes to my mind is that this is the same problem any operating system's gui faces. How do they deal with it? Windows, dragging, taskbar.
So how about you keep the current fixed root setup, for logical groops that should be aligned together, and for legacy.
But additionally each mod gets its own "layer". There they can go nuts, create custom roots while not affecting anyone else. Their roots can be dragged. A little icon opens a menu where you can toggle layer visibility or bring a layer into foreground, should it be neccessary.

+ Some neat api functions - setFocus, findFreeSpot, read access to other layers...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Since support was added to read the display size for a given player through script that means I could make game.player.gui.screen.add {... } a thing. In that case you would need to tell the game what exact x/y you wanted the window located at and it would do so.

Most likely it wouldn't be in 0.16 but some new system for 0.17 to handle how it would all work isn't out of the question.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

kumpu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by kumpu »

Rseding91 wrote:Since support was added to read the display size for a given player through script that means I could make game.player.gui.screen.add {... } a thing. In that case you would need to tell the game what exact x/y you wanted the window located at and it would do so.

Most likely it wouldn't be in 0.16 but some new system for 0.17 to handle how it would all work isn't out of the question.
That would be great! :o

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

That sounds nice! :D
How about the ability for the players to move a window (vanilla gui has it, so it always feels akward if center guis don't), maybe with an optional parameter to disallow it (LuaGuiElement.allow_dragging=false) for elements that are supposed to go on the .screen borders? (I.e. how feasible is it at all to make mod windows draggable.)

GalactusX31
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GalactusX31 »

I know that this is to open a necro-post, but being able to move GUI windows of mods as well as it can be done with the gui windows of the game, would be great.
eradicator wrote:That sounds nice! :D
How about the ability for the players to move a window (vanilla gui has it, so it always feels akward if center guis don't), maybe with an optional parameter to disallow it (LuaGuiElement.allow_dragging=false) for elements that are supposed to go on the .screen borders? (I.e. how feasible is it at all to make mod windows draggable.)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:45 am
Since support was added to read the display size for a given player through script that means I could make game.player.gui.screen.add {... } a thing. In that case you would need to tell the game what exact x/y you wanted the window located at and it would do so.

Bumpy, bumpy. Any progress on the delicious gui.screen.add()?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

Any response from the devs?
I really need this function :D
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Its been added for the next version:

Scripting:
    - Added LuaGui::screen.
    - Added on_gui_location_changed, on_gui_selected_tab_changed, and on_gui_switch_state_changed events.
    - Added LuaGuiElement type "empty-widget", "tabbed-pane", "tab", and "switch".
    - Added LuaGuiElement::add_tab(), remove_tab(), and force_auto_center().
    - Added LuaGuiElement::location, auto_center, drag_target, selected_tab_index, tabs read/write.
    - Added LuaGuiElement::switch_state, allow_none_state, left_label_caption, left_label_tooltip, right_label_caption, right_label_tooltip read/write.
    - Added LuaStyle::badge_font, badge_horizontal_spacing, default_badge_font_color, selected_badge_font_color, disabled_badge_font_color,
      selected_font_color, selected_hovered_font_color, selected_clicked_font_color, strikethrough_color read/write.
    - Added clear_and_focus_on_right_click to LuaGuiElement text-box.
    - Added LuaGuiElement::get_slider_value_step(), get_slider_discrete_slider(), get_slider_discrete_values(), set_slider_value_step(),
set_slider_discrete_slider(), luaSetSliderDiscreteSlider(), set_slider_discrete_values().

Return to “Implemented mod requests”