Impossibly Slow Load Times, and Jerky Gameplay (Solved)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
krlsmnk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Impossibly Slow Load Times, and Jerky Gameplay (Solved)

Post by krlsmnk »

Playing on Desktop PC which I have used to play Factorio consistently for the past 200 or so hours.
VR-Capable Machine with a 1060 GTX, 16GB RAM, SSD.

Since the last time I played Factorio (a few months ago) loading screen now takes 3-4 minutes (regardless of mods). Loading old saves produces jerky behavior, even with mods turned off. Making a new game with mods turned on: no jerkyness.

Laptop: considerably less powerful at 8GB RAM and weaker graphics: loading screen takes 10-15 seconds (normal for the mods I play). Loading old saves work flawlessly; no jerkyness.

Attempted solutions for desktop, which have not been successful:
  • Complete reinstall of Factorio, on the SSD
    Updated Graphics Drivers
    Reinstall all mods
    Lower graphics settings to minimal
    Update all mods
    Play on latest experimental release (what I normally do)
    Play on same version I played recently, but before the issue (.17.24 IIRC, I checked on my laptop)
    Clean computer and Registry of any malware, adware, etc.
    Turn off all antivirus and firewalls, including windows
    Run Windows 7 without Aero
    Run Facorio in windowed mode
    Give the Facorio process more memory than windows normally allocates it, via the Task Manager
    Give Facorio more video memory from game settings (up to "All") and less video memory (down to minimun)
    Update Windows
    Run Factorio as Administrator
    Run Factorio in Compatibility mode
    Run Steam as Administrator
    Run Steam in Compatibility mode
    Reinstall Steam
    "Verify Integrity of Game Files" via Steam
    Disable Steam Overlay
I really am out of ideas. I'm not sure why it works flawlessly on my laptop and unplayably bad on my desktop, when it used to work fine on both. No hardware changes, and no significant software changes, either. Everything else on my desktop is working normally. I really am stumped.

Unless Windows 10 is outperforming Windows 7 64 (first time for everything) there's no reason it should be working BETTER on my laptop than my desktop.
Last edited by krlsmnk on Mon May 27, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Impossibly Slow Load Times, and Jerky Gameplay (Troubleshooting Terminal)

Post by orzelek »

Did you switch from 0.16 to experimental 0.17 series?
There is a chance that 1060 GTX drivers for Windows 7 might not be up to the required capability of upgraded rendering engine in 0.17. That actually could cause Win 10 with up to date drivers to be faster.

krlsmnk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by krlsmnk »

I checked. And my previous save which gave me no problems on my terminal was .17.14

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I would start by uploading your logfile (from at least the computer which is having issues, but maybe also a logfile from your laptop, and if you still have a 0.17.14 install that doesn't have loading issues, then maybe a logfile from that as well). At the moment we can only guess at the cause of your problem.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

In addition to the logfiles we need to help you find the issue, I'll link a few topics with symptoms similar to yours, maybe they'll be of some help :
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=63182
viewtopic.php?p=179183#p179183 (this specific post)
(I excluded those related with not enough VRAM for obvious reasons.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Please post the log. Press Win + R, type in %APPDATA%\Factorio and click OK. File Explorer should open and you should see file called factorio-current.log.

Thanks for extensive list of thing you have tried. I guess some of the things required you to reboot the computer, is that right?

krlsmnk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by krlsmnk »

Here's my most recent log, loading in on the terminal with mods enabled:
Before this, based on linked posts with similar issues, I tried defragmenting the hard drive. No luck.

https://pastebin.com/3y9iZgiE

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Initially, I thought it might be the game fighting for RAM with other applications, but from the log it looks you have plenty of free RAM when launching the game.
krlsmnk wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:18 pm
Since the last time I played Factorio (a few months ago) loading screen now takes 3-4 minutes (regardless of mods).
From the log - the game loaded in 4.8 minutes, out of which ~4.5 minutes are spent loading mods, and 18 seconds loading graphics. So I would expect the game with mods disabled load in 20 seconds at maximum.

Do you have exactly the same modpack on your laptop?

EDIT: When I try to start the game with mods you have, the game starts reasonably fast (~23 seconds with normal res graphics), maybe it is tied to your mod settings. Can you upload mod-settings.dat from %APPDATA%\Factorio\mods\mod-settings.dat, please?
On the other hand you said the gameplay is jerky too so the problem of slowness might be general.

krlsmnk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by krlsmnk »

Mods should be the same on laptop and desktop. Deleted all mods, then synchronized with the save.

Here's the .dat:

https://pastebin.com/5FbNpXvx

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The dat file isn't text and as such doesn't really work when put onto pastebin (which works with text).

Can you zip your entire mods folder and upload it somewhere like dropbox, google drive, one drive, apple drive and link it here?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

You're running the game in compatibility mode for "Windows 7" (no SP1). Navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\bin\x64", right click on factorio.exe and select properties, go to "Compatibility" and un-check "Run this program in compatibility mode for".

krlsmnk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by krlsmnk »

Yeah, if you look at my OP, running the game (and steam) in compatibility mode was one of the things I tried to correct the issue. It didn't help or hurt; so I left it. I can turn it back, but it won't correct the problem.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

For me, launching the game in compatibility mode makes it take exactly as long as it does in the linked log file. Removing compatibility mode and it goes right back to normal speed.

krlsmnk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by krlsmnk »

Huh. Well so it did. That is very bizarre. Something I did after that point in the troubleshooting process must have fixed the original issue, and compatibility essentially propped up a different issue that looked very similar.

It appears to be working normally now. Thanks so much for your help! I can finally play on my terminal again.

Return to “Technical Help”