[SOLVED][0.17][Linux] FPS 3.3 with default settings on GeForce GT 630

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.

jgcampbell300
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.17.27][Linux] FPS 3.3 with default settings on GeForce GT 630

Post by jgcampbell300 »

well I was hoping the debug info would be easy to see so maybe help devs out ... guess not

jgcampbell300
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jgcampbell300 »

Ok I have tried all of the suggestions in
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9300
Upgraded OS to latest with all updates
Running the latest Video driver
Watched Nvidia-smi (it dosnt show me gpu usage, just off N/A) Memory is around 50% used
and everything else that has been suggested.

I have noticed my post has been viewed 400+ times, so I am thinking maybe others are having same issue maybe.

Is there a linux forum or chat room I should be in? Maybe I could get someone to move this to bug or something. I just do not know what to do next.

Any thoughts ?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

(Disclaimer: Whilst I have used linux on my home server for over 15 years, I'm no linux expert, and I don't use linux for gaming. I also haven't re-read the thread recently, so I have probably forgotten at least some of the info you have posted).

I tend to agree with Posilla. For some reason Factorio seems to be falling back to software rendering, or at least a code path that isn't fully accelerated by the GPU (eg maybe it is doing texture decompression or some other operation on the CPU, instead of the GPU for some reason).

Don't assume that simply turning all the graphics options off/down will give you the best performance. My 9 year old HD 5770 manages to render in about 2ms even on a busy map in a heavily modded game, on a 2560x1440 screen, with most of the graphics options turned on. (Admittedly on Win 10 and not a Nvidia card, so an entirely different driver). Your GT 630 is taking 230 ms. GUI rendering for me takes about 0.4 ms, whilst for you it takes 70 - 200ms. So something somewhere is causing a severe slowdown. If by trying different options you can manage to avoid the slowdown, you should get much better performance even if the the new option is theoretically slower.

Thing I would try include:

Try all the different texture compression options, including no compression.

Try re-enabling full colour depth. (Do any of the render stats actually change significantly for either better or worse when changing this)?

Try with texture streaming enabled.

Try turning max render threads down to 1.

Try all the video memory options, including "all".

Try with all the available texture atlas settings.

See if you can reproduce this with a clean install of the demo. (ie the free version). If so maybe you can get a linux graphics guru to help with debugging by posting over at https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/board/98/linux/

jgcampbell300
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jgcampbell300 »

ok so maybe gt 630 just isnt strong enough for the new graphics engine ... odd since its a 2d game

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I think the GT 630 should be able to cope. I think it is more likely a driver/software/configuration issue somewhere.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

On Windows, GT 330M can handle almost steady 60FPS at 1080p with Direct3D renderer and default graphics settings, and has slightly worse FPS in OpenGL (which is expected), but still in ballpark of 60FPS. So GT 630 must be capable of running the game at 60 FPS. I still don't know what the problem might be and how to diagnose it on Linux, sorry :(

jgcampbell300
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jgcampbell300 »

Ok so I have solved this issue (Some what). I was running linux mint mate 17.3 witch is old ... Some how there was either broken packages or outdated ... something I am not sure witch but when i upgraded to linux mint mate 18 it everything started working fine ... I am at version 19.1 now and its working very well. So im guessing i either broke something along the way that affects factorio .17 and not .16 or maybe the new engine just dosnt like my old distro.

Anyways Thank all of you for trying to help out and I hope this info helps the next person that is stuck.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Thanks for letting us know. I am happy you managed to solve it, am I sorry we weren't able to help you much with this.

Return to “Technical Help”