[0.17.40] Linux - crash while idling in mod menu

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.17.40] Linux - crash while idling in mod menu

Post by Kadaban »

The crash happened after I played for a bit, saved, exited to the main menu and was inside of the mod menu.
I went into the mod overview to check whether I had a specific mod enabled. I then alt-tabbed and the game was in the background while I was looking up something in firefox. It took about 5-10 seconds or so and then the Factorio error reporter dialog popped up. Sidenote: Clicking on "open directory with log" (or whatver it was called) didn't do anything.

Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce the crash. The next time I started up Factorio to try to reproduce the bug (I read though the log and found it complaining about Bob's Modules changelog being missing or invalid right before crashing) it didn't crash and still hasn't crashed with Factorio being in the background in the mod menu while I'm writing this.
Attachments
Aktuell.zip
savegame that was loaded before the crash
(11.88 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
factorio-previous.log
although called "previous" it is the one related to the crash.
(102.5 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.17.40] Linux - crash while idling in mod menu

Post by Oxyd »

It looks like this is one of those bugs. The log doesn't say anything at all about why it might have happened. It does show that the game crashed a second time after you clicked the button in the crash dialogue. The first crash probably got the game into a state where it couldn't even launch a file browser, so the second crash isn't that surprising either.

There is realistically no way to tell what really happened. Might have been a memory bit that got randomly flipped. Might be a bug in our code.

Moving to 1/0 magic, if it happens again, definitely let us know.

Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kadaban »

Managed to get another crash, this time shortly after updating one single mod (LTN) and then hitting "Confirm" to restart. It somehow felt like it was a timing problem, as in me not giving factorio enough time to sort out whatever file operation it was doing.
Anyways, after clicking confirm and before the window could even vanish, it had already presented the crash dialog and clicking on open folder didn't work again.

If I'm not mistaken, my first crash (not the one reported in this thread, which was my second crash) was related to an updated mod as well. I think it was "Cargo Ships" and it was a rather large update, so I didn't really think much about it, because of the unusual size of the update.

Attached the Factorio log, the savegame is the same.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(98.18 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kadaban »

Caught another crash related to the mod menu/installation.
This time I updated 5 mods via the built-in updater and once all of them were downloaded and updated it took about a second and the crash reporter showed up again.

BTW, I updated to Factorio 17.41 - 17.42 and of course 17.43 meanwhile - not sure if I should update the topic name.

EDIT: This time the crash actually did something more than just make me restart the game: The local achievements were damaged and couldn't be restored. Once I loaded up my game I got greeted by a couple of achievements rolling in. This is of course not much of a loss, just wanted to add this "fyi".
Attachments
factorio-current.log
factorio 0.17.43 - crash right after updating mods
(40.2 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Return to “1 / 0 magic”