Moderator: pyanodon

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: pY Petroleum Handling

Post by pyanodon »

Riktol wrote: ↑
Wed May 08, 2019 7:07 pm
I noticed the recipe for Combustion Mixture from Aromatics is missing a name.

This was version 1.1.0
Thanks, will be fixed in the next release.
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

infantryman4life
Inserter
Inserter

Post by infantryman4life »

i have a question....what does oil sand do and how do i take the oil out of it? :)

thanks

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

infantryman4life wrote: ↑
Thu May 09, 2019 1:22 am
i have a question....what does oil sand do and how do i take the oil out of it? :)

thanks
theres a tech only for it :)
pY Coal processing mod

infantryman4life
Inserter
Inserter

Post by infantryman4life »

pyanodon wrote: ↑
Thu May 09, 2019 10:01 am
infantryman4life wrote: ↑
Thu May 09, 2019 1:22 am

thanks
theres a tech only for it :)
thanks

Blokus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blokus »

Two comments related only in that they both pertain to PH:
  • One of the stated goals of PH is to get you using oil sooner. I don't really see how it achieves that. The small patches that you can tap with yellow derricks seem extremely rare, higher tier patches need circuit 2 or higher, and processing oil sand also needs circuit 2. (That bit about oil sand surprised me...my assumption was that oil sand was supposed to be a laborious but low-tech option for making oil.) Maybe this is a problem with my worldgen settings (which are vanilla with the sizes/frequencies default, so no RSO) and the small patches should be more common, but otherwise it seems like the only ways to get crude oil before circuit 2 are the tricks from the other mods.
  • Has anyone tried to run a mega-tholin plant to supply them with miscellaneous chemicals? I find it tempting for its sheer simplicity, but 1000 tholins/s out of unmoduled yellow tholin extractors consumes 280 MW, which seems a bit prohibitive. Maybe that's a viable way to use T1 modules...
Last edited by Blokus on Wed May 15, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

pumpjacks mk01
pY Coal processing mod

Blokus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blokus »

Tue May 14, 2019 3:36 pm
pumpjacks mk01
Fair point, I forgot about that...but do you expect players to actually do that with the numbers as they are? Drilling fluid doesn't seem cheap. Consider two ways to get 100 crude/s before circuit 2 (rounded numbers):
  • Pumpjacks with drilling fluid 1: 7 small parts, 33 sand, 10 titanium ore, 2 lamps, 42 ash, 33 soil, and well over 100 buildings. And this is all you get.
  • Aromatics + syngas extracted in the simple way from coal: 14 coal and around 10 buildings. And you get nice byproducts like coke, excess syngas, etc.
Is the drilling fluid 2 path better? I didn't look into it.
Last edited by Blokus on Wed May 15, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

Blokus wrote: ↑
Tue May 14, 2019 3:54 pm
pumpjacks mk01
Fair point, I forgot about that...but do you expect players to actually do that with the numbers as they are? Drilling fluid doesn't seem cheap. Consider two ways to get 100 crude/s before circuit 2 (rounded numbers):
  • 7 small parts, 33 sand, 10 titanium ore, 2 lamps, 42 ash, 33 soil, and well over 100 buildings. And this is all you get.
  • 14 coal and around 10 buildings. And you get nice byproducts like coke, excess syngas, etc.
THE PRICE GOES UP LINEARLY BUT THE YILD GROWS EXPONENTIALY
of course base recipe isnt great but it can be done in any spot

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Tue May 14, 2019 3:31 pm
  • One of the stated goals of PH is to get you using oil sooner. I don't really see how it achieves that. The small patches that you can tap with yellow derricks seem extremely rare, higher tier patches need circuit 2 or higher, and processing oil sand also needs circuit 2. Maybe this is a problem with my worldgen settings (which are vanilla with the sizes/frequencies default) and the small patches should be more common, but otherwise it seems like the only ways to get crude oil before circuit 2 are the tricks from the other mods.
  • Has anyone tried to run a mega-tholin plant to supply them with miscellaneous chemicals? I find it tempting for its sheer simplicity, but 1000 tholins/s out of unmoduled yellow tholin extractors consumes 280 MW, which seems a bit prohibitive. Maybe that's a viable way to use T1 modules...
i use them to get small quantities of chemicals in random spots

Blokus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blokus »

immortal_sniper1 wrote: ↑
Tue May 14, 2019 5:09 pm
pumpjacks mk01
  • 7 small parts, 33 sand, 10 titanium ore, 2 lamps, 42 ash, 33 soil, and well over 100 buildings. And this is all you get.
  • 14 coal and around 10 buildings. And you get nice byproducts like coke, excess syngas, etc.
What are you talking about? My point is that the drilling fluid 1 chain just plain costs more to make than it takes to make crude out of aromatics+syngas in a couple methanol reactors.
  • One of the stated goals of PH is to get you using oil sooner. I don't really see how it achieves that. The small patches that you can tap with yellow derricks seem extremely rare, higher tier patches need circuit 2 or higher, and processing oil sand also needs circuit 2. Maybe this is a problem with my worldgen settings (which are vanilla with the sizes/frequencies default) and the small patches should be more common, but otherwise it seems like the only ways to get crude oil before circuit 2 are the tricks from the other mods.
For temporary builds I totally get that. But for actually getting a proper build running, it doesn't seem practical, you just need too many tholin extractors to put them on site. (The example that I have in mind here is a plant to make a yellow belt of rubber using the third recipe involving styrene. I'm considering making the benzene out of tholins, which requires a couple hundred tholins/s.)

So it seems sensible to have a large tholin production plant and then import the tholins themselves to make chemicals on site (since you don't really need all that many tholin plants to convert tholins once you have them).
Last edited by Blokus on Tue May 14, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Tue May 14, 2019 5:13 pm
pumpjacks mk01
What are you talking about? My point is that the drilling fluid 1 chain just plain costs more to make than it takes to make crude out of aromatics+syngas in a couple methanol reactors.
For temporary builds I totally get that. But for actually getting a proper build running, it doesn't seem practical, you just need too many tholin extractors to put them on site. So it seems sensible to have a large tholin production plant and then import the tholins themselves to make chemicals on site (since you don't really need all that many tholin plants to convert tholins once you have them).
1 yes i was talking about actual builds the builds that require like 2S /s or 20-50 methane /s small folows of resources since it s not worth building a station

2 i made an excel with the costs of each recipe they get better the more complex they are

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

also how did u do 2 quotes in the same post?

Blokus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blokus »

Tue May 14, 2019 5:21 pm
also how did u do 2 quotes in the same post?
Write one part of the post, click quote on another post, copy, edit the original one.

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Tue May 14, 2019 5:20 pm
Tue May 14, 2019 5:13 pm
pumpjacks mk01
For temporary builds I totally get that. But for actually getting a proper build running, it doesn't seem practical, you just need too many tholin extractors to put them on site. So it seems sensible to have a large tholin production plant and then import the tholins themselves to make chemicals on site (since you don't really need all that many tholin plants to convert tholins once you have them).
1 yes i was talking about actual builds the builds that require like 2S /s or 20-50 methane /s small folows of resources since it s not worth building a station

2 i made an excel with the costs of each recipe they get better the more complex they are
like this?

Tue May 14, 2019 7:09 pm

Tue May 14, 2019 5:31 pm

One of the stated goals of PH is to get you using oil sooner. I don't really see how it achieves that. The small patches that you can tap with yellow derricks seem extremely rare, higher tier patches need circuit 2 or higher, and processing oil sand also needs circuit 2. Maybe this is a problem with my worldgen settings (which are vanilla with the sizes/frequencies default) and the small patches should be more common, but otherwise it seems like the only ways to get crude oil before circuit 2 are the tricks from the other mods.
Has anyone tried to run a mega-tholin plant to supply them with miscellaneous chemicals? I find it tempting for its sheer simplicity, but 1000 tholins/s out of unmoduled yellow tholin extractors consumes 280 MW, which seems a bit prohibitive. Maybe that's a viable way to use T1 modules...

For temporary builds I totally get that. But for actually getting a proper build running, it doesn't seem practical, you just need too many tholin extractors to put them on site. (The example that I have in mind here is a plant to make a yellow belt of rubber using the third recipe involving styrene. I'm considering making the benzene out of tholins, which requires a couple hundred tholins/s.)

So it seems sensible to have a large tholin production plant and then import the tholins themselves to make chemicals on site (since you don't really need all that many tholin plants to convert tholins once you have them).

theblindironman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theblindironman »

In regards to this, using red buildings, I created tholin to benzene to combustion gas plant. Using mk2 turbines, it uses 3 turbines to power itself, and exports 3 mk2 turbines worth of power. In your above example, to make a net 1000 tholins/s out, make it 1500 tholins/s (not exact #), and use 500 tholins/s to power itself. At that point, it just takes up real estate and you get 1000 tholins/s. Edit: And it generates zero waste! Set and forget.

Blokus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blokus »

theblindironman wrote: ↑
Tue May 14, 2019 6:10 pm
In regards to this, using red buildings, I created tholin to benzene to combustion gas plant. Using mk2 turbines, it uses 3 turbines to power itself, and exports 3 mk2 turbines worth of power. In your above example, to make a net 1000 tholins/s out, make it 1500 tholins/s (not exact #), and use 500 tholins/s to power itself. At that point, it just takes up real estate and you get 1000 tholins/s. Edit: And it generates zero waste! Set and forget.
Technically you need to import coke, right? Not that that's such a big deal. I think I like the idea, I may do that later after I have access to red buildings (and especially combustion turbine 2s, which are so much more efficient than the mk1s).

For now in my rubber build I'm planning on doing:

Import creosote, iron, iron oxide, syngas, salt, and titanium
creosote -> aromatics
Aromatics + syngas -> crude
Aromatics -> polybutadiene
Crude -> carbon black
Crude -> Naphtha + BTX
Naphtha -> Aromatics (this recovers most of the aromatics that went into the crude, but I could see just exporting this as a useful byproduct instead)
BTX -> Benzene
BTX -> Ethylene
Benzene + Ethylene -> Styrene. I also make plastic this way just on site just because I have all the ingredients here anyway.

I think this is a decent way to do it. Any thoughts? Do you think it would be easier to just brute force it by making benzene/ethylene from tholins and just paying the power cost?
Last edited by Blokus on Wed May 15, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

theblindironman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theblindironman »

Coke is made onsite with shrooms. All it needs is initial electricity to get the process started.

Peter524
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Peter524 »

Hi pyanodon,
in version 1.1.2 you have updated recipe for produce hot air from hot stone brick, but missing recipe for produce hot-stone brick

Blokus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blokus »

Peter524 wrote: ↑
Tue May 14, 2019 8:00 pm
Hi pyanodon,
in version 1.1.2 you have updated recipe for produce hot air from hot stone brick, but missing recipe for produce hot-stone brick
I am on 1.1.2 and not having this problem. Perhaps you need to run the force technology updates command to sort out your recipes.

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

put stone brick into any furnace to heat it up...
pY Coal processing mod

Return to β€œPyMods”