[MOD] Deadlock's Stacking Beltboxes & Compact Loaders

Topics and discussion about specific mods
shanemadden
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Deadlock's Stacking Beltboxes & Compact Loaders

Post by shanemadden »

2.1.12 of the base mod and 2.0.11 of the integration mod published with an update to beltbox speed numbers according to the discussion on the previous page, along with some other fixes for the integrations mod. Note that adjusting the recipes to match makes the stacking/unstacking recipes align to 1/3rd second boundaries with default (5 items per stack) settings, so the exorbitant decimals are either on the machines or the recipes. :|

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

shanemadden wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:24 am
2.1.12 of the base mod and 2.0.11 of the integration mod published with an update to beltbox speed numbers according to the discussion on the previous page, along with some other fixes for the integrations mod. Note that adjusting the recipes to match makes the stacking/unstacking recipes align to 1/3rd second boundaries with default (5 items per stack) settings, so the exorbitant decimals are either on the machines or the recipes. :|
Nice work. Yeah, that was what I meant about the lack of nice numbers. I think better to have them on the recipes. There's the option to turn off visible hand-unstacking anyway.

I suppose we could ask the devs to hide all that precision, it's out of whack with the way it over-truncates other things in other places ...

Claudius1729
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Claudius1729 »

Hi,

I have this clipping issue with deadlock loaders next to underground belts. See attachment for the image.

By the way, I love the animations of your mods, they're so slick.
Attachments
deadlockclippingissue.png
deadlockclippingissue.png (86.32 KiB) Viewed 3814 times

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Claudius1729 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:22 pm
Hi,

I have this clipping issue with deadlock loaders next to underground belts. See attachment for the image.

By the way, I love the animations of your mods, they're so slick.
Yes. I described the several issues with loader render order when placed next to other belt-related items, and also other entities such as furnaces, to the devs, and asked for tools to do something about it if possible. I was told it won't be fixed.

Essentially it is a no-win scenario. However the layering is ordered, it will look wrong next to something. There are even some vanilla entities that look wrong next to each other in unmodded games: try walls and splitters.

Alternatively, if we could define the render layer for any object, then people would start complaining that the player character starts clipping when they run over a belt-related machine, leading modders to give them collision boxes, and then people would complain that they can't run over any and all belt machines.

Also, loaders are missing some of the structural components of underground belts that would help, but a request to have those copied over from underneathies was also refused.

The way to avoid this before belts became larger than a single tile in height was just to design the loader as a monolithic box (as DCL was before 0.17), but since they started overlapping tile boundaries in 0.17, even that approach doesn't necessarily work. It's possible I have overlooked something but I spent many hours trying to no avail.

All of this may or may not change if/when the vanilla game gets a proper loader skin now that they are being used in the campaign.

Did my best but it's an official no-go. What's there now is the least worst option. The workaround is to not place loaders next to things where they look like crap.

Otherwise thanks for the compliment.

Claudius1729
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Claudius1729 »

Miniloaders doesn't seem to have that issue, and they display correctly next to underground belts ramps.

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=54343

Maybe you could ask the author to know how they did it?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Claudius1729 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:11 pm
Miniloaders doesn't seem to have that issue, and they display correctly next to underground belts ramps.

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=54343

Maybe you could ask the author to know how they did it?
Miniloaders aren't loaders.

Claudius1729
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Claudius1729 »

And anyway they got the clipping issue, but with Underground belt above the loader, instead of below.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Hope this is a good place for this.

I've got an issue with mod conflict when a couple of deadlock stacking mods are active. Deadlock beltbox aai industry bridge and deadlock se bridge.

Problem is aai industries has a sand graphic that is 64x64 and py has one at 32x32. And for one reason or other the stacking recipe is trying to use the 32x graphic with an icon_size of 64.

I tried to manully edit the icon size in the item and recipe to be the right size but it does want to work.

Is there a better way to clear the problem recipe and restack it then manully wiping the table and redoing it.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

kingarthur wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:46 pm

I've got an issue with mod conflict when a couple of deadlock stacking mods are active. Deadlock beltbox aai industry bridge and deadlock se bridge.

Problem is aai industries has a sand graphic that is 64x64 and py has one at 32x32. And for one reason or other the stacking recipe is trying to use the 32x graphic with an icon_size of 64.

I tried to manully edit the icon size in the item and recipe to be the right size but it does want to work.

Is there a better way to clear the problem recipe and restack it then manully wiping the table and redoing it.
Stacking recipes are created early in prototypes/create_stack.lua: DBL.create_stacking_recipes and then in data-final-fixes some things are updated like fuel values in prototypes/create_stack.lua: DBL.deferred_stacked_item_updates. Icons + size are copied in the first one and then left untouched. So this shouldn't happen. Maybe the mods do something strange with the icon updating the image first and the size later or something?

Anyway, what I would like to see is getting the icons setup early like now but flagged if they are generated. Then in data-final-fixes generate any generated icons again in case the original icon was updated.

What you can do to hopefully quick fix this is to edit the info.json and under dependencies add "? aai-industires", "? py". This tells factorio that the stacking beltboxes should be processed after these two mods. Hopefully by then any odd thing they do is done and you get a clean icon.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

kingarthur wrote:

Is the third party Py/Deadlock bridge mod in this unholy mix as well?

This sounds like it is (sort of) related to the issue I was talking about a page or two back, about how DSB/CL could use a more thorough remove() function. It's worse in your case because you have two different third party mods trying to use the beltbox API to do different things with an item/recipe that has been given the same name but different properties by two different mods. Let's face it, that was never going to be pretty.

shane is the main developer for this mod now, and put a lot of work into sharpening up the API. However I also have some ideas about what I'd like deadlock_stacking.remove() or a new/better function to do, for my own purposes at least. I guess we'll have to tackle it sooner or later.

The idea would be that a third party mod could call the remove() function and actually have the vanilla-stacked items (or in your case, the conflicting stacked sand) removed completely - taken out of the tech unlocks, zap the recipe, zap the item - so that it can be rebuilt (or not). However in your case there are still going to be a load of mod ordering / dependency issues to figure out.

I can't think of much to suggest right now but tbf I'm a little brainfried from real life stuff. It does occur to me that you could avoid some of this if you migrated the offending items to have unique names. Let me think about it and maybe talk to shane - it could be that he has better ideas (he usually does) or has something half-ready already.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:53 pm
kingarthur wrote:

Is the third party Py/Deadlock bridge mod in this unholy mix as well?

This sounds like it is (sort of) related to the issue I was talking about a page or two back, about how DSB/CL could use a more thorough remove() function. It's worse in your case because you have two different third party mods trying to use the beltbox API to do different things with an item/recipe that has been given the same name but different properties by two different mods. Let's face it, that was never going to be pretty.

shane is the main developer for this mod now, and put a lot of work into sharpening up the API. However I also have some ideas about what I'd like deadlock_stacking.remove() or a new/better function to do, for my own purposes at least. I guess we'll have to tackle it sooner or later.

The idea would be that a third party mod could call the remove() function and actually have the vanilla-stacked items (or in your case, the conflicting stacked sand) removed completely - taken out of the tech unlocks, zap the recipe, zap the item - so that it can be rebuilt (or not). However in your case there are still going to be a load of mod ordering / dependency issues to figure out.

I can't think of much to suggest right now but tbf I'm a little brainfried from real life stuff. It does occur to me that you could avoid some of this if you migrated the offending items to have unique names. Let me think about it and maybe talk to shane - it could be that he has better ideas (he usually does) or has something half-ready already.
Nope no pydeadlock just those 2.

Just wondered if you had a scaple I could use to do it. Before I got a bigger hammer and brute forced a fix as it wouldn't be as clean

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

kingarthur wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:03 pm

Just wondered if you had a scaple I could use to do it. Before I got a bigger hammer and brute forced a fix as it wouldn't be as clean
Nope. We know we need the scalpel but it doesn't currently exist.

So what I'm guessing is happening is something like:

- AAI creates sand with an icon size of 64 in the data stage
- Py overwrites sand with an icon size of 32 in the data stage (P > A)
- Deadlock-AAI Bridge asks DSB to create a stacked sand item in the data-final-fixes stage with a 64 icon because it doesn't know that the item got overwritten with a 32 icon in the meantime

I'm not even sure that a better remove() would help here. Sounds like the conflict between AAI and Py over name space is the root issue. Alternatively, if the bridge-mod authors were creating their own stack icons and not just using the default FPS-gobbling layers-of-icons default, it probably wouldn't matter.

I'm more or less treating 64 as the default now, as vanilla will by the time we get to 1.0 stable.

We have to ask people to specify icon size when creating stacks because they can supply a sprite path that isn't used by any other item.
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

YunoAloe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by YunoAloe »

kingarthur wrote:
I think https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PyCoalTBa ... 000dbe8d22 is relevant to your discussion.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

YunoAloe wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:21 pm
kingarthur wrote:
I think https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PyCoalTBa ... 000dbe8d22 is relevant to your discussion.
So Deadlock4Pyanadon is involved as well. Hoo boy.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

YunoAloe wrote:
kingarthur wrote:

Only in that it stacks sand like the others
Last edited by kingarthur on Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:23 pm
YunoAloe wrote:
kingarthur wrote:
So Deadlock4Pyanadon is involved as well. Hoo boy.
No deadlockforpyanodon is absolutely 100 percent not involved or active in this instance.

Isnt even download currently on the machine I was testing it on.

It's the merging of sand items that's causing the problem so anyone that stacks sand will break
Last edited by kingarthur on Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Depending on when the stacking is actually done I can try to reverse the override to use the aaii icon instead and that should also fix the issue.

Or if all else fails resort to renaming py mods sand.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

kingarthur wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:33 pm
Depending on when the stacking is actually done I can try to reverse the override to use the aaii icon instead and that should also fix the issue.

Depends on the dependencies and where they're calling the stack creation from, which is supposed to be data-final-fixes because of all those mods which sod around with vanilla items in data-final-fixes. I will take a look when I get home.

If you had a make-things-go-away function, what would you want it do? I need one and I have my own ideas but it would be good to get feedback.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:38 pm
kingarthur wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Depends on the dependencies and where they're calling the stack creation from, which is supposed to be data-final-fixes because of all those mods which sod around with vanilla items in data-final-fixes. I will take a look when I get home.

If you had a make-things-go-away function, what would you want it do? I need one and I have my own ideas but it would be good to get feedback.
Probably remove the recipe/whatever and any reference to it like tech unlocks. Also clean up any tables and not just leave a nil value in its place as that has a habit of breaking things from people not checking for it.

Cant think of anything else at the moment.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

kingarthur wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:51 pm
Probably remove the recipe/whatever and any reference to it like tech unlocks. Also clean up any tables and not just leave a nil value in its place as that has a habit of breaking things from people not checking for it.

Cant think of anything else at the moment.
Sounds the same as what I need.

Meanwhile:
sand.png
sand.png (7.35 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
I also have an item called "sand" on the go. Do as I say, not as I do.

Return to “Mods”