Bought the game on GOG, how to get a Steam key?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
BitTim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Bought the game on GOG, how to get a Steam key?

Post by BitTim »

So... I have bought the game on GOG.com, but now i want to add it to my Steam library. I've linked my steam account to my Factorio account, but the game isn't in my library. I've seen posts from 2016, that you could receive your Steam key from the Profile page on the website, but I cannot find the mentioned section on my Profile page.

Thank you in advance!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bought the game on GOG, how to get a Steam key?

Post by Koub »

I'm not sure you can do that. You can get the Steam key after buying the game on the Factorio website, the other way round too, but I don't think you can go all the way from GoG to Steam.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

BitTim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BitTim »

As far as I know, if you buy the game on the Website, you get an upgrade key for your account. After I bought the game from GoG, I also received an account upgrade key. Does it matter from where i got the key to receive the Steam key?

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

BitTim wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:31 pm
Does it matter from where i got the key to receive the Steam key?
Yes:
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-247 wrote:the only way to get a Steam key from our website, is by buying directly on our website
You bought on GoG so you cannot redeem a steam key.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

BitTim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BitTim »

This is unfortunate...
But still, thank you for your help :)

Superbeef
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Superbeef »

Same situation:

I paid $20 for the GOG version some time ago. Family and friends have now joined me in a MP server and I'd love to be able to flaunt my achievements more easily. (Also, hey, it's free advertising to see this in Steam activity feeds)

If there was a way to pay the difference + a processing fee. $10 or $15 or whatever, I'd take the offer.

Oh well

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Superbeef wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:31 pm
Same situation:

I paid $20 for the GOG version some time ago. Family and friends have now joined me in a MP server and I'd love to be able to flaunt my achievements more easily. (Also, hey, it's free advertising to see this in Steam activity feeds)

If there was a way to pay the difference + a processing fee. $10 or $15 or whatever, I'd take the offer.

Oh well
Sure how about $30? Buy it again on factorio.com and get a Steam key.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Superbeef
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Superbeef »

No, don't care that much. I care $10-$15 much as a matter of showing my support. Not sure why the condescending advice.

Return to “Technical Help”