I'd like to be able to see my corpse on the map.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Make Corpses More Visible

Post by Mendel »

Maybe it would be good idea to have a message on screen like "welcome to die, you have 15 minutes to reclaim your lost items from your corpse" or something along those lines.

Factorie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Make Corpses More Visible

Post by Factorie »

Rseding91 wrote:It's purposefully not marked/highlighted because it adds a challenge to finding your body back after you die since otherwise there's no drawback to death.
I can respect that balance decision

der-dave.com
Inserter
Inserter

Lost all blueprints because I can´t find my corpse

Post by der-dave.com »

Hallo guys,

I played Factorio a lot and started a new 0.17 game early for fres start and design new blueprints.
Unfortunatly, I did´nt exported them to the library. Now, I got killed somewhere on the map very far away from my base. I can´t find my corspe because there was no marker on the map. Yes, I know, there are mods for this but I wanted to play a Vanilla game. I think it would be an nice solution to mark my corpse on the map by the game engine, without the use of mods.

No I am going to recreate my blueprints :D

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Lost all blueprints because I can´t find my corpse

Post by DaleStan »

You can load the game with a mod that shows where your corpse is, remember where it is, remove the mod, and load the same save again. Your corpse will be where you found it, and you'll still get all your achievements.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

der-dave.com wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:41 pm
I think it would be an nice solution to mark my corpse on the map by the game engine, without the use of mods.
You can mark your position on map during respawn countdown. Alternatively you can use F5 to get coordinates. But of course it would be much less annoying if map showed position of corpse. At least I can not see any interesting gaming challenge which would be broken if game gave the information easily.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

You should put your blueprints into the blueprint library, probably into a book too and link that book to your toolbelt. Saves inventory space and makes them save from death. But then they are shared between games. Nothing is perfect.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

If it happend to me, I would reload from autosave.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

posila wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:34 pm
If it happend to me, I would reload from autosave.
Did that too a time or two. Save game, reload old save, move blueprints to library, reload game, get blueprints back form library.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

mrvn wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:36 pm
Did that too a time or two. Save game, reload old save, move blueprints to library, reload game, get blueprints back form library.
I meant I would continue to play from save before I died (as I would before corpses were added and death was game over). But loading old save to just export blueprints is good idea too.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

posila wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:42 pm
mrvn wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:36 pm
I meant I would continue to play from save before I died (as I would before corpses were added and death was game over). But loading old save to just export blueprints is good idea too.
More often it's because I accidentally deleted or edited a blueprint that I wish I had half an hour later.

der-dave.com
Inserter
Inserter

Post by der-dave.com »

Sure, there are many possibilities to save my blueprints but the main thing is: Why not showing the corpse on the map?
But the marker during dead-countdown is a good idea.

To link the blueprints in the toolbelt from library is a good idea, too. Didn´t know this since now. thanks mrvn.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

der-dave.com wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:08 pm
Sure, there are many possibilities to save my blueprints but the main thing is: Why not showing the corpse on the map?
But the marker during dead-countdown is a good idea.

To link the blueprints in the toolbelt from library is a good idea, too. Didn´t know this since now. thanks mrvn.
It is actually an unfair issue.

I've lost corpses when I knew where they were, but was unable to see them amongst the pile of biter corpses. And on a multiplayer map you can't arbitrarily reload a save without admin help.

It isn't about losing blueprints, it is about a situation in the game that is unfair to the player, and should be corrected.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

der-dave.com wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:08 pm
I am not a designer, so I don't have answer to that. You said the problem was that you died and lost blueprints you had on you, and proposed solution to that problem that requires addition of a feature. I just came in to post about different solution that already exists in the game :)
adam_bise wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:24 pm
It isn't about losing blueprints, it is about a situation in the game that is unfair to the player, and should be corrected.
You died, so you lost your stuff. The entire reason corpses were added was to give players at least a chance to recover their stuff in multiplayer, where reload from autosave is not a good option. If you don't want to lose your things, either don't die or have a good memory; you won't get them back for free. (My opinion, not official game design reason)

sepharim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sepharim »

I liked it the way it was. If you are unattended and not carefully enough you die. When you die you are dead and everything ends.
In Factorio it doesn't end, but you either start to setup the character again, or you have luck and find the corpse. For me it's pretty fair the way it is right now.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

All I know is, based on personal experience, when I die I have a certain level of confidence that I will or wont be able to recover my items, based on if I think I can make it back in time, remember where it was, and how many enemies may be nearby.

It was frustrating to be correct in those 3 things, but still be unable to get my stuff because I can't visually see precisely where it is, and can't remove biter corpses that may be in the way. I can typically remember where it is supposed to be, but always have to do a little looking at least once I get there.

There were times when I literally held down RMB and paced back and forth to find it lol

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

posila wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:35 pm
adam_bise wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:24 pm
You died, so you lost your stuff. The entire reason corpses were added was to give players at least a chance to recover their stuff in multiplayer, where reload from autosave is not a good option. If you don't want to lose your things, either don't die or have a good memory; you won't get them back for free. (My opinion, not official game design reason)
The reason I made the corpse expire was exactly that so it is the official game design reason.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

adam_bise wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:01 pm
All I know is, based on personal experience, when I die I have a certain level of confidence that I will or wont be able to recover my items, based on if I think I can make it back in time, remember where it was, and how many enemies may be nearby.

It was frustrating to be correct in those 3 things, but still be unable to get my stuff because I can't visually see precisely where it is, and can't remove biter corpses that may be in the way. I can typically remember where it is supposed to be, but always have to do a little looking at least once I get there.

There were times when I literally held down RMB and paced back and forth to find it lol
Have you tried using a deconstruction planer? 1) it should put a more noticable red cross over your corpse. 2) When you click&drag an area with it it should say "Corpse: 1" when your area includes the corpse. Should make it easier to both narrow down the area and find the corpse itself.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

mrvn wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:44 am
adam_bise wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Have you tried using a deconstruction planer? 1) it should put a more noticable red cross over your corpse. 2) When you click&drag an area with it it should say "Corpse: 1" when your area includes the corpse. Should make it easier to both narrow down the area and find the corpse itself.
Didn't know about that, thanks!

der-dave.com
Inserter
Inserter

Post by der-dave.com »

Thanks for all the nice ideas of finding corpses. Looks like I can live with that.
One good thing is: All blueprints are now fresh out of the box and old unnecessary stuff was deleted :D

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”