The price on Steam vs GoG in Poland

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Lisa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

The price on Steam vs GoG in Poland

Post by Lisa »

Hello!

I'd been heavily considering buying the game lately, but I've noticed something weird with the local prices. The game is priced at 30 USD, correct? Steam has implemented PLN some time back, at a default rate of 1 USD = 3.6 PLN. However, the steam price for factorio is 70 PLN, which for steam conversion is about $20.
Now, that's no reason to complain. Given that our wages are generally lower than in most first world countries, I'm more than happy to see games actually being cheaper.
However, the game is also sold on GoG. The GoG price is close to 114 PLN, about $31.6. I've just been wondering, is there a reason for such a large difference? Is this oversight, or something in how both platforms operate allows the steam price to be lower compared to GoG?
Generally if possible, I'd rather buy a game on GoG, but it's a pretty significant difference.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: The price on Steam vs GoG in Poland

Post by Bilka »

GoG does not offer regional pricing, but Steam does, this is a difference in store fronts. If you are looking to buy on GoG because the game is DRM free there, Steam is still a pretty good option for you: If you buy on Steam and then connect your Steam account to factorio.com, you can download the DRM free version on factorio.com.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

I guess GoG pays the international reseller price.

Steam gives up a part of their revenue in order to sell games in these countries at all.
So they have a chance to sell some games and less people pirate them.

NelsonSKA
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NelsonSKA »

Bilka wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:37 am
GoG does not offer regional pricing, but Steam does, this is a difference in store fronts. If you are looking to buy on GoG because the game is DRM free there, Steam is still a pretty good option for you: If you buy on Steam and then connect your Steam account to factorio.com, you can download the DRM free version on factorio.com.
It's weird. I'm from Argentina, and the price on Steam is AR$ 330.
1 U$S = 45 AR$ in this moment (we have heavy inflation and the price change every day)... so today it's near 7 dollars.
This is absurd, from those 7 dollars how much goes to Wube and how much is left to steam to do business? Has no sense to me.

Ultros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ultros »

NelsonSKA wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:24 pm
Bilka wrote:
1 U$S = 45 AR$ in this moment (we have heavy inflation and the price change every day)... so today it's near 7 dollars.
This is absurd, from those 7 dollars how much goes to Wube and how much is left to steam to do business? Has no sense to me.

I suppose this is likely to be due to Steam's exchange rates being out of date, due to the rampant inflation you mentioned.

alex222
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by alex222 »

NelsonSKA wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:24 pm
Bilka wrote:
I hope steam is better
Suppose that you can retry your life. What you will do another?
Did you know how to read betting odds

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

I got mine straight from factorio.com and would do so again.

I prefer to not have steam manage my game files for me, unless the game is natively steam, and with GoG don't you get slower updates, a 3rd party installer etc?

Nothing against GoG, though. They are great for necroware titles. I've bought plenty of games from Steam and GoG.

It's all about preference. Some people would rather all their games be on Steam just for the simplicity and features like achievements and cloud saves.

Return to “General discussion”