[MOD] Deadlock's Stacking Beltboxes & Compact Loaders

Topics and discussion about specific mods
DaveSh99
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Deadlock's Stacking Beltboxes & Compact Loaders

Post by DaveSh99 »

Yes, i understand that the devs thoughtfully renamed player to character or something to that effect. Broke a pile of mods.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Well, this is what "experimental" means.

DaveSh99
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DaveSh99 »

Yup, we play modded games at the pleasure of the devs, and the very fine moders in the community.

btw Deadlock, this is a very nice mod. Q: have you adjusted the loaders to reflect the current rate of the belts and their new items/sec?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

DaveSh99 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:24 pm
Yup, we play modded games at the pleasure of the devs, and the very fine moders in the community.

btw Deadlock, this is a very nice mod. Q: have you adjusted the loaders to reflect the current rate of the belts and their new items/sec?
shanemadden is currently curating this mod and doing a fine job of it, but I believe the answer is yes, and they also detect when other mods have messed with belt speeds, except when those other mods are sneaky about it.

shanemadden
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by shanemadden »

2.1.11 should get things working again under 0.17.35, let me know if there are any issues.

With regard to other mods changing belt speeds, I haven't done a 'general purpose' late re-sync in the for belt speeds like we now have to account for other mods' changes to vanilla item stack sizes, but maybe that's next up.

For now, syncing the loader and beltbox speeds to account for Bob's Logisictics and DoubleSpeedBelts speed changes are accounted for by the integrations mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/deadlock-integrations, let me know if you have other mods which the same treatment is needed for - I might just put in the effort needed for a general purpose solution instead of implementing a third integration just to sync belt speeds.

MageKing17
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MageKing17 »

DaveSh99 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:40 pm
Yes, i understand that the devs thoughtfully renamed player to character or something to that effect. Broke a pile of mods.
Deadlock989 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:14 pm
Well, this is what "experimental" means.
It was also announced beforehand.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

shanemadden wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:05 am
2.1.11 should get things working again under 0.17.35, let me know if there are any issues.

With regard to other mods changing belt speeds, I haven't done a 'general purpose' late re-sync in the for belt speeds like we now have to account for other mods' changes to vanilla item stack sizes, but maybe that's next up.

For now, syncing the loader and beltbox speeds to account for Bob's Logisictics and DoubleSpeedBelts speed changes are accounted for by the integrations mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/deadlock-integrations, let me know if you have other mods which the same treatment is needed for - I might just put in the effort needed for a general purpose solution instead of implementing a third integration just to sync belt speeds.
My view - may differ from yours - is that the proper general purpose solution is to let the third party add-ons handle it. I feel like the integrations mod was a tide-over from 0.16 when support for that handful of always-changing mods was built-in. The idea was that we let the Bob, Xander and Py enthusiasts run around after their changes, so that you can focus on having a stable core and not being chained to a hot oven for ever and ever and ever. Same goes for the messing with fuel values if I'm honest. The target never stops moving. The same is true for vanilla in a way but that road has an end and we depend on it.

One thing that annoyed me about the vanilla belt speed change in 0.17 to 15/30/45 is that those numbers doesn't produce many nice round decimals for crafting times and machine assembler speeds. There are a few nice magic numbers like 48 and 3.2 but otherwise you end up with a bunch of recurring decimals everywhere. That's now the case with beltboxes, through no fault of ours: the machine speeds used to be 0.5/1.0/1.5 IIRC, but have now been tweaked to match the new belts - so they have values like 1.6875, which is just ... unreadable. The code is still using the magic number based on 13.333 item/s or whatever it was, it's just boosted it to match the new values. (Edited to add: actually, thinking back, I based on it on red belts for some reason or other ... likely nice round numbers again - that's why a red beltbox was 1 and a yellow one was 0.5.)

So I feel like the machine speeds should be 1/2/3, based on the default tier 1 belt speed of 15 item/s. The DSB API could then provide an easy hook to update both loaders and beltboxes either when pointed at a new belt or an existing one. The add-ons which support third party mods that mess with belt speeds just need to add one line of code, and it's their job to decide when the best time to do that is - likely final-fixes, which should be fine since the add-on will have both DSB and the provider mod as a dependency.

DaveSh99
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DaveSh99 »

Thanks for the .35 fixes. it's all working well again :)

shanemadden
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by shanemadden »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:53 am
So I feel like the machine speeds should be 1/2/3, based on the default tier 1 belt speed of 15 item/s. The DSB API could then provide an easy hook to update both loaders and beltboxes either when pointed at a new belt or an existing one. The add-ons which support third party mods that mess with belt speeds just need to add one line of code, and it's their job to decide when the best time to do that is - likely final-fixes, which should be fine since the add-on will have both DSB and the provider mod as a dependency.
Yeah, you're completely right - changing the crafting speed multiplier to account for the extra 1/9th they added to belt speeds would have been a lot cleaner than the machine speeds. I'll see about switching that.

I like the idea of just having API functions to handle the necessary late-resync behaviors - the internal late updates (accounting for Restack, Bob's, Py's stack size and fuel changes at the moment) should be moved to this mechanism as well. Seems like a possible way to get rid of the optdep on Restack :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

shanemadden wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:25 pm
Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:53 am
Yeah, you're completely right - changing the crafting speed multiplier to account for the extra 1/9th they added to belt speeds would have been a lot cleaner than the machine speeds. I'll see about switching that.

I like the idea of just having API functions to handle the necessary late-resync behaviors - the internal late updates (accounting for Restack, Bob's, Py's stack size and fuel changes at the moment) should be moved to this mechanism as well. Seems like a possible way to get rid of the optdep on Restack :)
I already had to patch the function that does late syncs in DSB locally because when I algorithmically generate stacking recipes and techs after all the other mods have done their things (including DSB doing it's sync) then the generated stuff is broken. I need to do the DSB late sync again.

DSB remembers everything it later needs to sync. What I did was make the sync step clear that list and make it public. That way after I've added he final stacking recipes I can sync again and it will go over everything added since the last sync.

Syriusz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Syriusz »

Hi. It is great mod, I am experimenting with new layouts now :-)
Could you add to unstacking recipes that results are catalysts? It would remove them from production table.
Thanks!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Syriusz wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:34 pm
Hi. It is great mod, I am experimenting with new layouts now :-)
Could you add to unstacking recipes that results are catalysts? It would remove them from production table.
Thanks!
Oh, no more getting iron king for stacking and unstacking iron plates in a loop?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

mrvn wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:21 am
Oh, no more getting iron king for stacking and unstacking iron plates in a loop?
The stacking and unstacking recipes have the hide_from_stats flag set in the recipe. They are not shown in production stats. If they are still counting towards achievements then that is a bug report for the main game.

loop.png
loop.png (583.79 KiB) Viewed 4355 times

Syriusz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Syriusz »

Oh, ok. It may be because I have checked with hand crafting (unstacking).
Thanks for a clarification!

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Syriusz wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:38 pm
Oh, ok. It may be because I have checked with hand crafting (unstacking).
Shouldn't make any difference. It's the same recipe.

Syriusz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Syriusz »

I made a loop like yours and it worked fine, but with hand crafting I have that result:

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

OK, I would definitely call that a bug in the game. It's the same recipe with the same recipe category which has been added to the list of player-hand-craftable recipes. No reason why hand-crafting should ignore the hide_from_stats flag. Question is whether you think it's important enough to report.

Syriusz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Syriusz »

I will report it. Thanks for the help!

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Syriusz wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:56 pm
I will report it. Thanks for the help!
And they fixed it at 8pm on a Friday night. We're fortunate to have such good devs.

shanemadden
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by shanemadden »

Published 1.7.4 versions of the migration mods for both Loaders and Beltboxes; fixes the conflict with Loader Redux and makes the beltbox migration compatible with 0.17.35. It's been a busy couple of weeks but I should have some time to wrap up the new API features before too much longer.

Return to “Mods”