First Factory (warning: contains pictures)

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

micomico
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

First Factory (warning: contains pictures)

Post by micomico »

Hello everyone.

I bring you some pictures of my first factory. A lot of game hours in it. A shameful lot.

Click on the pictures for a bigger version.

We'll start with the ore input, that arrives by train and is handled by logistics robots into storage or to belts that go into the factory. One way only trains with two wagons bring iron, copper and coal to this station.

An overview of the station:

And a close-up of the little buggers in action:

The ores go in double express belts to the smeltery. They leave the smeltery in double express belts as well and go to the factory.

This is the main input for the factory. Some of the iron is converted into steel for the entire factory right here. The belts are going from the top-right to the bottom-left of the screen. I stopped the whole factory for the screenshots.

The science production and some supporting assemblers:

Right below this, some considerable circuit production. The green circuits assemblers are used in science making, red circuits and circuits requested by some low-volume assemblers through the logistics network.

The red circuits feed the science by belts and the rest of the factory through logistics.

You can see weapons of mass destruction being made on the right and several other standalone assemblers, all feeding on the materials available nearby.

All the stone related production is carelessly planted here too, on the bottom left.

A little station on the south side of the factory. These trains go both ways, which simplifies a lot station building. I installed them with less wagons to make up for it. They bring oil barrels and stone to the factory.

A better view of the crude oil storage. The oil is unpacked near the station and transported by pipe to the oil processing plant.

The oil processing plants can be seen here. Plastic, batteries and sulfur all go by belt to where they are needed. Some minor assemblers request batteries by logistics.

The blue circuit production line is here because Factorio's maps are too small and I didn't have any more space. Some random assemblers are here as well for the same reason.

The rest of the oil processing. Solid fuel takes a long ride from here to the west side of the factory. Coal is only used to make plastic.

Lack of space again. All engine and robot stuff is here. And lot of other things too.

Chest and module production. All done by logistics.

Also the radar blueprint I snagged from these forums. Self-suficient, not connected to the main power network.

The east entrance to the base:

Right above, a part of the north wall. One of those radars here again.

A sample of my solar farm. Check the minimap. A radar managed to creep his way in the solar farm.

Shiny!

The west wall of the base, protecting the solar farms.

It's not all nice and clean. Some fuel burning happens here.

This little thingamajiggy saves a lot my solid fuel. Shamelessly copied from these forums.

South wall. (The invasion of the random radars?)

The south east entrance must break some kind of record for holes in the wall. I think it's wonderful.

I smash a LOT of cars. So I keep one of these chests near each entrance of the base.

An overview picture of a mining outpost:

A close-up of the oil loader:

And the ore one. No attempt was made here to balance the different ores. It's all going to be mined anyway.

A smaller outpost, ready to be demolished. All of these outposts are built with blueprints, apart from the actual miners and pumps, which are placed manually. The destruction is automated too, of course.

The materials are usually brought in the trunk of the car. The roboport is not connected to the main network.

Overview of all the factory, more or less. The solar farms are to the left of it, past the steam engines.

A part of the big map. There are more tracks to other directions, but the outposts were deconstructed long ago. I usually leave the main line, in case I want a resource further in that direction.

Those are all the pictures for today.

Yolan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: First Factory (warning: contains pictures)

Post by Yolan »

Wow. :shock:

Did you need to do a lot of deconstruction and reconstruction to get it looking so nice, given that this is your first factory?

micomico
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by micomico »

Yolan wrote:Wow. :shock:

Did you need to do a lot of deconstruction and reconstruction to get it looking so nice, given that this is your first factory?
A lot of things were built and rebuilt several times. Optimizing the paths, insertion speed and the modules in each assembler made for most of the time spent.

I've some pictures of old saves. Click on them for a bigger version.

This is the earliest save I have. Unfortunately, I overwrite save games a lot.

Coal was used in power generation. The solar farms were still being made.

A later save. The smeltery has grown and the train station has just become operational.

The early versions of my outposts. Who needs walls?

Things are growing here. Capsule production was made and stuff on the bottom right of factory was slightly rearranged.

The solar farms were visibly expanding. Put a bunch of walls surrounding the radars, thinking that they attracted the bitters.

The radars are separated from the main network by the accumulators and only draw power from it when it's being produced in excess.

Major circuit production upgrade on this one. New stuff on the south of the base. Walls started being produced as biter incursions happened more frequently.

An early version of the south station. Still no walls here and using coal.

I lacked space for expanding the smeltery and it was moved. The steel production took its place. A lot of changes in the middle of the factory for this.

Coal stopped being used for anything but plastic here.

Walls!

Major changes in the factory. The capsules production moved and the labs no longer have a derpy placement.

All oil wells are belong to me, wherever they are.

Double belts because reasons. Some more autocrafting of random stuff. This save is not long from the actual one now.

I guess some changes were made along the way.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

well i like that "belts factory", have a like at my "robot factry" https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=4710 for a new way of doing things

micomico
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by micomico »

Lee_newsum wrote:well i like that "belts factory", have a like at my "robot factry" https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=4710 for a new way of doing things
Nice factory you got there. Personally, I prefer the look of belts everywhere. Though I use a lot of robots, mainly at the station and in module production.

Due to a storage problem and the fact that my robots weren't doing enough, I came up with the "get-this-stuff-out-of-my-logistic-chests" storage system.

At the station, the are now extra belts in and out for coal, copper and iron. The inserters start feeding the belts going out when there's an absurd amount of ores in the logistic system. The inserters going in work when the ore levels fall below a point.

The ore highway fit like a glove in the surroundings.

The actual storage site. The inserters make waves with their little arms. Adorable.

On other news, I updated the advanced circuit production with speed beacons, which led to a redesign of the copper cable production. More stuff in and still had space to put gun turret production in there.

The module production also had a beacon upgrade. All "speed 3" modules in the beacons. The assemblers have 1 "effectivity 3" and 3 "speed 3" modules each.

Just for fun, the biters are now greeted by my new friends when visiting my base. Lots of gun turrets with pointy bullets. They make a much better killing sound than the laser turrets. (I have lots of copper and iron to spend.)

Some remote oil outposts also received the biter piercing upgrade. The pumpjacks have "speed 3" upgrades now and are polluting a lot. The biters like none of that.

One less slot for barrels in the wagon. Totally worth it.

micomico
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by micomico »

Hello everyone.

Not many news in my factory this time. I thought I could show some details from it instead.

Click on the pictures for a bigger version.

First of all, production and power graphs of the factory. Maybe I shouldn't deploy so many lasers.

Some close-up screenshots of circuit production:

Sulfuric acid production was recently moved for a cleaner look. Battery and blue circuit production now looks like this:

The production of the different types of capsules. I only use the destroyers and the distractors.

To finish, the updated map, with new oil outposts to the south.

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

This is really cool. It's nice to see the progression of a factory for a change.

micomico
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by micomico »

ThaPear wrote:This is really cool. It's nice to see the progression of a factory for a change.
Thanks! I've been having some fun.

I bring you all a little update. I've been/still am busy building my latest addition to factory. But that's not for today.

As usual, you can click on the pictures to see a bigger version.

The input for the "Store-A-Lot 9000" was upgraded with more inserters getting rid of stuff from the logistic system.

The actual storage for copper in the "SAL 9000" was extended as well. A picture without the yellow arrows to show all its might.

Emergency power generation was doubled. The power consumption in the factory increased considerably due to the removal of efficiency modules in many machines, to install speed or productivity modules instead.

The railroad that passed here had to be moved a little and the base walls were pushed a roboport length further south too.

The solar power was expanded too... Running along these panels may cause hallucinatory experiences. Do not try it home alone.

All my radar stations were replaced by this new model. It's self sufficient and can keep the radar going all night. When the radar consumption is fixed to really spend 300kW of power, I can even throw a lamp in there. (math)

The oil production was slightly rearranged. Catching on the sulfuric acid move from before, the sulfur production was moved closer to it.

Everything but sulfur production got an upgrade. There are now two explosives factories and four plastic ones. Several refineries were added to meet the new demand.

Half of the refineries have two "speed 3" modules and the other half has two "productivity 3" modules. I tried using all productivity modules, but they can't keep up with the consumption that way.

"And what are you using that new oil production for?", you're wondering. Well, some it is now part of my second wall. The turrets on this side of the base don't even fire anymore. My minions replace all the blown up mines. I can't be tired of watching all its awesomeness in action.

With destruction in mind, I thought 24 destroyer capsules/min weren't good enough, so I upgraded capsule production and doubled it. As soon as I finished this upgrade, I declared it obsolete and started work on my new "bigger build".

First thing done, downsizing the south station. One of the lines had never been used so, out with it. This helped nothing in the new build, by the way. These are plans for after this build, creeping up and taking my time, distracting me from what I was doing.

Now something really productive towards that goal. A new station with bigger trains, that will connect the main base to a new factory outside.

The southeast entrance had to be adjusted to the new rails.

And, as a preview of the next installment of "Micomico Industries: The Rise of the Empire", the start of my new factory. This will produce ammo and capsules in, what I'm hoping, absurd amounts. The native wildlife is thrilled.

Thanks for watching and sorry for all the bandwidth and time wasted.

micomico
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by micomico »

I'll be posting a mega update tonight.

This seemingly unneeded post serves two purposes:
  • Shamelessly bump my thread
  • Try to make the thread go to page two, due to endless pictures on the first page

micomico
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by micomico »

Hello again everyone!

I'm sorry to say that today's update will be the last for this factory in a while. The game is now running at 25-30fps which is kind of bad and slows me down a lot. I guess I'll have to start my second factorio game.

With that out of the way, a lot of changes happened in the factory and I bring you a lot of new pictures of it.

Click on the nice pictures for even nicer pictures. The save file is available at the end of the post.

Last time, the construction of a new ammo factory was beginning. The factory was going to produce piercing ammo, distractor and destroyer capsules. The construction has ended and this is what came out of it:

This factory is fed iron, copper, green/red circuits and speed modules by train from the factory. The stuffs are sorted by the logistics robots.

The loading of materials to the trains is controlled by a circuit network, both here and in the main factory. You can see the colored wires in the poles on some pictures.

It has its own steel production on site. All of these furnaces have effectivity 3 and speed 3 modules. They can't produce steel fast enough if every ammo is being produced at the same time.

The shotgun shell production can be seen here too.

Right next to this, piercing ammo for the rifle and for capsules production is made. The gears go into the capsules production too. The robots have to work hard to keep those requester chests full.

The actual production of capsules. In fact, all of this seems to work slower than my previous setup. Then again, I wasn't filling whole chests with capsules.

The shiny destroyer capsules couldn't be missing here.

Since this is where all ammo is made, it made sense to that all defenses on this factory were gun turrets, instead of lasers.

This is the station in the main base that feeds the new factory. The initial plans were for the top line to be handling copper and iron. The lack of throughput from the logistics robots in transporting the amount of plates necessary to keep the train running, made it impossible and another solution was found. The line sits there unused.

You can see a similar control circuit here, controlling the signals on this site.

This new station was built right below the smeltery area, so it could be fed directly by belts and inserters. The train was upgraded too, with more wagons and locomotives.

After this, all hell broke loose on my factory. Nothing could keep up with the demand. Poor circuit production was the first to give in, especially the red ones. Followed by iron and copper missing in most of the production line. I wonder why?

Something drastic had to be done. The basics were handled first. The smeltery was doubled in size and is now big:

The ore inputs at the main station weren't quite enough to keep with the new smeltery, so two additional ones were made near the station.

Since the space the capsules and ammo production was taking in my factory was now free, the red circuit production had some room for expansion. The other assemblers in the location were slightly moved to the right.

A close up of the red circuit line:

The green circuit production needed a boost as well. All the stone related buildings had to move and they all fit like it was planned to detail before. Of course it was.

More detail on the green circuits:

The south station right there had some little changes, not much. These trains now send repair packs to the permanent remote outposts, so that's one less thing bothering me.

The unpacking of oil barrels and the crude oil storage had to be moved. A new underwater pipeline was built a little west of where it was before.

All of these changes were working really nice and production was higher than ever. Life was good. Workers were patting each other in the back.

Then, disturbing news came from the bean-counter department - some new project had been eating away all the ore reserves at an absurd rate. Iron was literally at zero level with only the ore in the requester chests left. There still was a few thousands of copper, but they wouldn't last long either.

The emergency stop button had to be pressed in the new factory. Heads would be rolling.

After all the brillant idiots responsible for the debacle were fired, they were immediately rehired as consultants for double the wage and set to fix the ore input problem.

Seeing that the original main station didn't have room for expansion and couldn't handle many more trains in its configuration, a new idea had come up, but it needed some resources.

A few emergency mining outposts later, a new central station was built. This station was able to handle five-wagon trains coming from the mining outposts. The ore would then be dispatched from here to the station in the main base.

The train arrival from the ore outposts. The old trains are still supported with the double stops.

The big trains are surprisingly fast.

Train departures for the main factory. Currently two tracks for iron, two for copper, one for stone and coal.

The leftmost track is unused at the moment and is planned for iron. The right track is for a service train that brings repair packs and solid fuel to power the big trains.

A lot of tracks were upgraded to double tracks. An big effort was made so that the paths for all trains are unique or, in some cases, even isolated from other destinations. The trains run around flawlessly now and never wonder around other tracks like they used to.

The main station in the factory had to be slightly changed to accommodate the increased traffic and the double tracks. A hard time was had with the water front tracks.

The mining outposts got their upgrade too.

You can see the size on the map compared to an old one right by it.

Finally, the whole map for the big picture. A badly done composite where some parts had pollution off, some on. My image editing skills are a must.

Here is the save file and the mods folder, for anyone who wants to take a closer look at the factory:

EDIT: Forgot to add the save file.

Karosieben
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Karosieben »

God, damn it, your Factory looks really awesome!!

Keep going.

Regards,
Karosieben
My german YouTube Channel: Karosieben
My Factorio Let's Plays: Singleplayer, Multiplayer and Tutorials

Return to “Show your Creations”