[YouTube] Factorio Fixit

Post about Let's plays and streams.
-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[YouTube] Factorio Fixit

Post by -root »

Playlist!

After having received requests from several people via email and PM to have a look at their saves, I've decided to start up a new series, this time with a twist..

Basically, I take another person's save and play in it for a while. I do my best to improve and optimize your factory and then I return the save to you.

You can see the first episode made from a save I grabbed from Reddit. I'll add additional videos when I get saves. There will be no set schedule for this series as it depends on when I receive save games and that won't be reliable.

If you would like me to have a look at your factory, send me the save or the link and I would love to see what I can do to improve upon it!

Looking forward to this new series, the first two episodes have been a lot of fun!

Individual Episodes!
Last edited by -root on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:24 am, edited 6 times in total.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [YouTube] Factorio Fixit

Post by -root »

Quick update, now up to episode 8 with another four or five to come along in the coming two weeks!

Remember, if you want me to play your save, email it to me! Rootnegative at gmail dot com.

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zlosynus »

Quite fun series to watch :), some of these factories are really crazy. Btw. I think you care about optimizing turns on belts too much. First, it is mostly never issue, especially on some not so important belts. And it is much cheaper and easier to put there red belts to corners, if you really care about this. But I mostly optimize this in much more advance factory, in the beginning not really needed.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

I'm of the opinion that the small things add up. I am very OCD on the little stuff because I reckon it helps :D . Also, building it "right" the first time means I don't have to go back later to fix it.

You should send me one of your factories, I like the massive one you have posted in this forum.

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nirahiel »

Hey, can we send you unfinished factories ?

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Yep. I've been mostly getting unfinished factories. Only had one complete one so far :D

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zlosynus »

Ok, you can find link to my factory in my original post. Enjoy!

micomico
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by micomico »

Hey there -root.

You can totally check out my factory.

Maybe you can find something to fix.

micomico pats himself in the back

Here is the save file and mods folder:

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sbroadbent »

It's just my opinion, but it isn't much of a "Fixit" if there isn't much to fix. It's interesting to see how a (somewhat) convoluted design can be made more efficient or effective, but if everything is working smoothly already, such a Fixit episode becomes more of a Factory Showcase than a Fixit.
SB Gaming Youtube Channel:
ImageImage
Also includes series for Cities Skylines, Prison Architect, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Far Cry 2, and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

sbroadbent wrote:It's just my opinion, but it isn't much of a "Fixit" if there isn't much to fix. It's interesting to see how a (somewhat) convoluted design can be made more efficient or effective, but if everything is working smoothly already, such a Fixit episode becomes more of a Factory Showcase than a Fixit.
You're right. And when I get these factories that is exactly what I will do. I just released a really good one by HeilTec. It was a complete build.

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

It is nice for a non-producing youtuber to see even a showcasing of your map. Some may even get started making videos.
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zlosynus »

I was watching one of your videos with a crazy polluted factory and you can turn off pollution in the minimap (it is somewhere in the options, maybe graphics). A set it turned off, and I only have it in the full map when I really care about the pollution).

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Alrighty root, help me with this then.

I am completely out of iron, i have a very small patch of copper left, And the biters claim the rest.

I also have no power.
Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/143 ... MeRoot.zip

I might send you one of my main saves for fun, depending on your response/video/etc
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Samaruto
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Pumps in the night

Post by Samaruto »

Hi!

I'm watching your channel - Great ideas!

I have a little system for my steam engines for the night and i was thinking you can take a look at it. It works with small pumps and tanks... :D
It's working fine - but maybe you have some ideas to improve it.

Save-File: http://uploaded.net/file/c4i6inkz

I hope you like my factory... 8-)

Mfg from Austria

Samaruto

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:I am completely out of iron, i have a very small patch of copper left, And the biters claim the rest. I also have no power.
Oh shi-

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll have a look tonight.

@Samaruto, save thing. I'll have a look tonight.

EDIT: Dangnabbit Obama, you're gonna make me update my game...

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sbroadbent »

I propose the Hydra Dilemma factory as the next Factorio Fixit :mrgreen:

So, how many episodes do you think it'd take you to fix it?
SB Gaming Youtube Channel:
ImageImage
Also includes series for Cities Skylines, Prison Architect, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Far Cry 2, and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Nice work here.

However, the gamer in me has seen several things that glared at me for accuracy/efficiency.
Probably top among them is that in the first episode you said that the optimal setup is 14 boilers to 12 engines.
I'm not debating the boiler, as it's correct, but how do you figure on the 12 engines?
Using more than 10 engines at peak power will use more water than a pump produces, and if you run them dry, you get a dramatic decrease in available performance.

Having seen that, I have to admit, I was rather turned off, as you were a non-expert claiming to fix others' bases. Personally, the use of "fixing" in this context implied a level of expertness that you demonstrated (to me) as being false.

Anyways, still good production values, even if you've got someone opposed to the content of them. ;)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

@n9103: You know, I had never thought to check the ratio. Turns out according to the wiki i was wrong. 10 is the correct number of engines, thanks for pointing that out!

I'd like to know whatever else i'm doing wrong. One reason why I am doing this series is also to improve my own gameplay by putting myself into random factories and then getting them to work better. Not neccesarily perfectly, but better :D . If you have any suggestions or tips, let me know.

I'd also love to have a look at one your super good factories, shoot me through a factory and I'll put it on the channel.
sbroadbent wrote:I propose the Hydra Dilemma factory as the next Factorio Fixit :mrgreen:

So, how many episodes do you think it'd take you to fix it?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Eh heh... I haven't saved any, and my latest runs have been half-hearted.
Also, I'm still rebelling at the changes (read over-zealous nerf-hammering) that modules have underwent. So that's probably part of the reason of the half-heartedness.
Here's an old showcase though.
The scale of economies has changed somewhat, but it was impressive enough in it's time. *shrug*

As an aside, I find it troubling that the devs have nerfed things based mostly on post-intended gameplay, since any factory that goes well beyond just making use of modules into making them game-breaking, is also one that could've researched and built the rocket defense already, and therefore to the point that resources, time, and everything else didn't really matter. :|
Sadly, I may have contributed to this by building and showing off a fully maximized productivity version of this. :(
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Return to “Videos”